The Student Room Group

English Literature help

At GCSE I achieved a grade 9 in both English lit and language so it made sense for me to take it at a level. However, I have been struggling to make my grade what it was before and feel the teachers are focused more on going through the texts that on how to actually write our essays. If anyone knows any YouTube channels/ websites/ books or just any resource that will teach me how to write a level English literature essays properly I will appreciate. I don't really know what to do at this point.
Reply 1
You need to feel composition... it must flow like playing an instrument. I couldn't do it at your age either.
Original post by Vinny C
You need to feel composition... it must flow like playing an instrument. I couldn't do it at your age either.

How did you learn to do it then o wise one?
Reply 3
I do English Literature too - which exam board are you?
Reply 4
Original post by Marcelleknox
At GCSE I achieved a grade 9 in both English lit and language so it made sense for me to take it at a level. However, I have been struggling to make my grade what it was before and feel the teachers are focused more on going through the texts that on how to actually write our essays. If anyone knows any YouTube channels/ websites/ books or just any resource that will teach me how to write a level English literature essays properly I will appreciate. I don't really know what to do at this point.

people go into A Levels thinking that getting a 9 means they’ll get an A*, it doesn’t, and a lot of people who got 9s in Y11 are struggling now.

so forget your prior grades. are you in Y12? because you SHOULD be studying the texts more than the essay structure right now. you cannot possibly write a perceptive, thorough essay without knowing the texts as if you wrote them yourself haha.

as someone above said, ‘you need composition’ and i actually agree. i’d really suggest you learn the texts as well as you could first. in terms of your essays, they should be a lot easier to do after that.

in my experience it has never helped to look online for essays, it is simply something you have to figure out yourself.

getting 9s at GCSE is not important now, you need to practise writing, redraft, redraft and redraft until you get your desired mark. it took me a year to start achieving 25/25 consistently and it takes self improvement and development (a lot of it!)

you’ll be okay - you care for your subjects and you evidently know how to study! keep going :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Marcelleknox
How did you learn to do it then o wise one?

Believe it or not... the IT age. The need to go from thinking stuff to expressing it concisely in writing rather than speech. In short... practice! We don't write as we speak or posts would be a ramble... some still are.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending