Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for work 2 months solid now and I've had zilch not even an interview. The last few times I went job hunting I managed to get something within 2/3 weeks. This year is a total disaster.

Is there some thing wrong with my CV?? Could someone have a look at it and tell me if there's anything that could be improved that would be a great help.

Could it be the fact that I live in halls during term time but I'm looking for a weekend job in my home town?? I come home on the weekends during term time I've even written it in all my covering letters but no one gets it!!

Any feedback, advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd use "first" instead of 1st (the same goes for every time you use a number, replace it with the word. Also it's first aid, not "FirstAid" (as far as I'm aware). Role play - two seperate words.

Look around the forum. You aren't the only one having trouble finding a job. Economy's going down the pan...

ReputationRep:
    That is a killer CV, I wouldn't say theres anything wrong with it bar a few grammar/spelling mistajes already mentuoned.

ReputationRep:
    probably better to put the address you will be staying at when you are actually working (ie not halls)

some jobs have so many people sending CV's they tend to look at where they live, experience, etc before shortlisting and then looking at the actual covering letter!

I lived in a friends flat for a year out in Essex.. I could not get a job until I put my other friends address saying that I lived in London.. .yet it was quicker to travel from Essex to the job than one side of london to the other!

also... you are applying for jobs at the same time as all the other students so I'm sure companies get a stack full and just don't look that closely.

your CV looks good.
    What sort of job are you going for?
    your CV might be too good!!

I have two CV's - one basic one that I use if I need to do temp work (admin) and I've 'lowered' my career type jobs on this one - temp agencies wont even look at my info if I put down that I've done Photo Retouching jobs!
    I don't really expand on my skills either.. .if it's a typing job then list speeds etc.

then the 2nd one has everything on it... obviously highlighting the career jobs and go into more info as to what skills I have.

I've not lied on either (I'm too honest on mine! lol as most people lie)
    so it's not about fibbing.. but make it square up with the type of job you want.

don't give up... keep emailing them out - try companies that aren't advertising - just send to HR departments etc (I've got some really good jobs that way!)

edit: if you want a retail job then list your qualities that you acquired at the previous retail jobs you have done... rather than your Uni qualities... they are more interested in your skills you can use now rather than your science background... I take it your not applying for a career job but more for finance reasons.
    keep that in mind too.

ReputationRep:
    I think its the Argos curse. I got an easy 5 month job at Argos and every attempt since has failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garden_Gnome)
    I'd use "first" instead of 1st (the same goes for every time you use a number, replace it with the word. Also it's first aid, not "FirstAid" (as far as I'm aware). Role play - two seperate words.

Look around the forum. You aren't the only one having trouble finding a job. Economy's going down the pan...
    I don't think that's going to make that much difference. The CV's good it's not you, and you're definitely not diseased, many other people haven't been able to get jobs. You even have work experience and are doing a good degree, this is quite worrying especially for those who have no previous employment. Everyone i know who works has been employed through connections and that should never happen and it's not even about equality and quotas.

ReputationRep:
    ARgos is a terrible place to work.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good CV I have ammeneded and suggested on it for you, what kinds of jobs are you going for?
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc attachment.doc (42.0 KB, 107 views)
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It's an OK CV is you want to work shadowing a doctor, in a lab or something technical. It's not a good CV if you want to work in Argos, or something else that does not demand an academic focus. This is another case of needing to tailor your CV.

I've made a few changes, most notably making your previous Argos experience pretty much the first thing the reader sees. Argos and jobs of that ilk really couldn't give a hoot about which A level you got an A or a B in. They do care that you turn up on time, are good with customers, can organise stock, can work a till etc.

As with all CVs you need to cut out the 'I did this' language and keep it to proper bullet points starting whenever possible with action words like Managed, Achieved, Led, Supported, Speak, Expertise in etc.

Everything you put on the CV, think - does the HR manager in Argos (or wherever) need and/or want to know this?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot Gaylei, Garden_Gnome!

I've been looking at retail jobs pretty much, sales assistant type ones because they're the ones I have experience of.

I tried looking for call centre jobs but there doesn't seem to be many call centre offices in my area so that idea went down the pan.

I think for admin work you have to some sort of qualification?

ReputationRep:
    Id go for jobs with children maybe summer schools as you have experiance of that. What about your second language you could offer your serivces as an english tutor in the local paper for punjabi speaking people?

ReputationRep:
    I would ask why you haven't kept your jobs for more than 5 months at a time, looking at that CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Oranges)
    Thanks a lot Gaylei, Garden_Gnome!

I've been looking at retail jobs pretty much, sales assistant type ones because they're the ones I have experience of.

I tried looking for call centre jobs but there doesn't seem to be many call centre offices in my area so that idea went down the pan.

I think for admin work you have to some sort of qualification?
    don't think you need qualifications for admin work... I left school with one O level and that's the only work I could find!
    better money in admin if you can type. 50wpm is usually the minium speed.
    did once get £10 ph for one job in admin... but v fast typing (boring though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    I would ask why you haven't kept your jobs for more than 5 months at a time, looking at that CV.
    Haha! I was waiting for someone to spot that lol. I had to give up my first job because of personal circumstances and for Argos I was an xmas temp.

I've been told not to write down your reasons for leaving unless they specifically ask for them.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for work 2 months solid now and I've had zilch not even an interview. The last few times I went job hunting I managed to get something within 2/3 weeks. This year is a total disaster.

Is there some thing wrong with my CV?? Could someone have a look at it and tell me if there's anything that could be improved that would be a great help.

Could it be the fact that I live in halls during term time but I'm looking for a weekend job in my home town?? I come home on the weekends during term time I've even written it in all my covering letters but no one gets it!!

Any feedback, advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I'm joining heart start in september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's an OK CV is you want to work shadowing a doctor, in a lab or something technical. It's not a good CV if you want to work in Argos, or something else that does not demand an academic focus. This is another case of needing to tailor your CV.

I've made a few changes, most notably making your previous Argos experience pretty much the first thing the reader sees. Argos and jobs of that ilk really couldn't give a hoot about which A level you got an A or a B in. They do care that you turn up on time, are good with customers, can organise stock, can work a till etc.

As with all CVs you need to cut out the 'I did this' language and keep it to proper bullet points starting whenever possible with action words like Managed, Achieved, Led, Supported, Speak, Expertise in etc.

Everything you put on the CV, think - does the HR manager in Argos (or wherever) need and/or want to know this?
    "Ilk" lol, I was just following a standard CV plan. I'll try that layout, your reasoning makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    Is it usual to have a bullet pointed CV? I've always written mine out in full - not that I'm employed however... though I did get a job and quit before my first shift due to the role being a tad morally dubious!!

I'm finding it impossible to get a summer job, nobody wants anyone moving away to university... and the only place that did... I turned down!

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying quite hard, too, but alas, no luck.

However, I see this as somewhat of a plus point, in the sense that I am free to completely doss all summer. Works for me (lol, pun).

ReputationRep:
    Two pages seems to be overkill. For temporary work, they'll have a glance and if they see what they want they'll read it. So try and get it down to one page.

Bullet points should be kept short. You can communicate everything you want much more concisely, I feel.

Put your work experience first if this is for a part time job, education second. I know that's not what's important to you, but it will be to them.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I was waiting for someone to spot that lol. I had to give up my first job because of personal circumstances and for Argos I was an xmas temp.

I've been told not to write down your reasons for leaving unless they specifically ask for them.
    Hmm, my experience in these matters is limited, but if it was my CV I would probably write 'as a Christmas temp' somewhere in the description of the Argos job. Without explanation it could come across that you just don't stick at the jobs you have had.

All in all your CV does seem very solid though, I'm surprised you haven't heard anything.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.