The Student Room Group

How would I structure this land law question?

I really only need a few bullet points, just so I can figure out what to focus on. I'd be very grateful for any help.

Constantina and Dhillon live together in Eveston Manor. The property was purchased with a desposit of £40,000 provided by Dhillon’s mother, Fathi, with the remaining £360,000 having been paid by mortgage. Although Constantina and Dhillon are the only registered owners of the property, Fathi lives with the couple as her sole residence.

Constantina and Dhillon finished repaying the mortgage last year but still have considerable credit card debts. Constantina advises Dhillon that she “can sort this out” and to “leave this to [her]”. Dhillon is used to leaving these decisions to Constantina, since Constantina’s understanding of the English language is stronger than Dhillon’s.

Constantina approaches her bank to remortgage the property, so that the couple may repay their credit card debts. They agree to the mortgage in principle but request that Constantina ask Dhillon to attend the bank and sign the pertinent documents. Dhillon attends but does not fully understand everything the bank asks of him. Constantina had previously informed Dhillon to “just sign whatever they want you to sign”. He signs the documents but is uncertain of their meaning.

Fathi and Dhillon have now discovered that the property is subject to a mortgage and are very concerned about their security in the home.
Advise Fathi and Dhillon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending