The Student Room Group

what should i do - apply to be a prefect or not?

time to submit perfect applications is dawning & i’m conflicted over what i should do. i would quite like to be a prefect, at primary i never got elected one -afterwards i got a load of apologies saying they forgot me- but really, i struggle to believe them. so i wanted to do this- to prove to myself & those from primary that indeed, i am capable of taking on the appropriate roles of a prefect.

today has made me wonder what chance i actually stand. it’s being done differently to primary- we have to write an application which will then be read & compared to others & then prefects will be chosen. so popularity shouldn’t (fingers crossed) be an issue like it was at primary. but what makes me stand out? not a lot. i’m quiet, introverted & quite timid. what of those qualities is going to shout out ‘oh, she’d make a good prefect?’. nothing. i don’t get noticed for relentlessly trying my hardest, constantly doing the best i can - so why would i be noticed for one letter full of hope?

i do have good intentions- i feel like if i wasn’t so anxious & shy i’d make a great prefect. i want to help people, in fact, i like to help people. but because of my nature, i’m rarely asked to offer assistance to others- possibly on here, but rarely in real life. i want to help out- i’ll gladly help host school events, but it’s myself that stops myself from jumping through these hoops.

i want to do it- i do. but i don’t want to waste my time either. any suggestions as to what i should do?
I still think it's worth a try. A chance to get noticed and it may work out! You may regret it otherwise.
Original post by Obolinda
I still think it's worth a try. A chance to get noticed and it may work out! You may regret it otherwise.

you’re right- it won’t hurt to try anyways 😊
& i’d probably feel regretful if i didn’t because it’s just letting an opportunity slide right by- something i don’t like to do often
thank you! 🥰
Original post by ellaswords
time to submit perfect applications is dawning & i’m conflicted over what i should do. i would quite like to be a prefect, at primary i never got elected one -afterwards i got a load of apologies saying they forgot me- but really, i struggle to believe them. so i wanted to do this- to prove to myself & those from primary that indeed, i am capable of taking on the appropriate roles of a prefect.

today has made me wonder what chance i actually stand. it’s being done differently to primary- we have to write an application which will then be read & compared to others & then prefects will be chosen. so popularity shouldn’t (fingers crossed) be an issue like it was at primary. but what makes me stand out? not a lot. i’m quiet, introverted & quite timid. what of those qualities is going to shout out ‘oh, she’d make a good prefect?’. nothing. i don’t get noticed for relentlessly trying my hardest, constantly doing the best i can - so why would i be noticed for one letter full of hope?

i do have good intentions- i feel like if i wasn’t so anxious & shy i’d make a great prefect. i want to help people, in fact, i like to help people. but because of my nature, i’m rarely asked to offer assistance to others- possibly on here, but rarely in real life. i want to help out- i’ll gladly help host school events, but it’s myself that stops myself from jumping through these hoops.

i want to do it- i do. but i don’t want to waste my time either. any suggestions as to what i should do?

Apply.
Original post by Wired_1800
Apply.

okay
Honestly I thought I wouldn't get it but I applied and got a letter saying 'Head Prefect'! Definitely brought out the best in me. Apply
Being a prefect must be A big deal in your school. At mine 90% became prefects. Non prefects were the rare breeds
Original post by ArtmisKco
Being a prefect must be A big deal in your school. At mine 90% became prefects. Non prefects were the rare breeds

oh - only about 10% become prefects, & there’s like 250 of us in my year, so yeah - it’s quite a big deal. or at least to me it is anyway 😊
Original post by ArtmisKco

How can 90% become Prefects? If that is the case then it is meaningless
Original post by SimonAB1
Honestly I thought I wouldn't get it but I applied and got a letter saying 'Head Prefect'! Definitely brought out the best in me. Apply

wow - that’d be cool, although does that mean extra responsibilities? it’s not like i’m too lazy or anything it’s just that i don’t exactly do too well in social situations- but it’d definitely bring out a part to me that i never thought i’d be able to extract i guess
Original post by ellaswords
wow - that’d be cool, although does that mean extra responsibilities? it’s not like i’m too lazy or anything it’s just that i don’t exactly do too well in social situations- but it’d definitely bring out a part to me that i never thought i’d be able to extract i guess

Of course it means extra responsibilities but it is fun and I enjoy the sense of responsibility and leading now. The main issue which really got under my skin were others trying to undermine my position; however, it is more of a small nuisance.
Original post by Wired_1800
How can 90% become Prefects? If that is the case then it is meaningless

Precisely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending