Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What was wrong with this tweet?

Dress however you please.
Call yourself whatever you like.
Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you.
Live your best life in peace and security.
But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
she’s spreading misinformation. Maya said that trans women are not women and that gender is not a spectrum. she did not simply say that sex is real. jk rowling has twisted the case to spread her terf agenda. that’s what’s wrong with the tweet
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Twitterworld stirring up a sh**storm because she said that biological sexes exist lmao
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
she’s spreading misinformation. Maya said that trans women are not women and that gender is not a spectrum. she did not simply say that sex is real. jk rowling has twisted the case to spread her terf agenda. that’s what’s wrong with the tweet
That’s not “misinformation”, it’s just an issue of semantics i.e. what do you mean when you use words like “woman” or “gender”?

If by “gender”, you are talking about people’s identities, then sure it’s very flexible, and probably fair to call it a spectrum; people can identify as whatever they want. Whereas if you are talking about which reproductive system a person was born with, then it is not a spectrum; notwithstanding some kind of medical disorder, you can only be born with one of two different reproductive systems.

The same applies with the word “woman”. If you are referring to someone’s choice of social identity, then a trans-woman is a woman. Whereas if you are talking about their genetics and biology, then they’re not.

There’s no correct or incorrect answer here, it just depends on your choice and interpretation of language. It is up to the speaker to decide what he means when he uses each word, according to what he thinks will most accurately convey the concepts in his head.

However, I agree with JKR on this one. It is not appropriate for one group of people to try and impose their mode of thought and expression onto another, under threat of punishment and ostracism. To do so is highly authoritarian and will always encounter resistance and breed resentment.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just because you believe you are something does not make it so. I genuinely sympathise with those who have gender dysphoria as a medical condition, but I frankly think it is absurd that medical science is helping to facilitate these delusions by offering highly invasive surgical porcedures as standard, instead of trying theraputic remedies first. There, I said it.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Funny how you missed the hashtags supporting a woman who lost her employment tribunal for being transphobic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.58%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.42%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.33%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.4%
Financial worries (22)
6.9%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.52%

Watched Threads