why is school like this (gyg!) *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Watch
15colesch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi!! i think im a bit late to this but i feel like entering will help motivate me or just let me filter out stress somewhere haha

soooo about me:

im in year 11, doing my exams in july 2020, and these are the subjects i take with my grades:

art - currently grade 9, predicted a 9, want a 9
history - currently grade 9, predicted an 8, want a 9 (please)
latin - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8 (tbh im guessing this will change after mocks)
RS - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want a 9
english literature - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want a 9
english language - currently grade 9, predicted an 8, want a 9
biology - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want a 9
chemistry - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8
physics - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8
maths - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8 (hopefully eek)

depending on how my mocks go, the predicted grades and working at grades might go up or down but im aiming for at least an 8 in everything
my biggest worry is maths so im putting a lot of effort into that as it is my weakest subject and ive just got to pray for an 8 in my actual mocks. and i can do the questions pretty well in history i am just worried about managing to learn all the content.

im trying my hardest and so im aiming for all grade 9s (that would be AMAZING!), im just being realistic here lol

the future:

I want to stay on at my current (state) school for sixth form to study Art, Latin, Classical Civilisations and GPR (global perspectives and research). The goal is Cambridge University to study classics or history of art!!

aims for 2020:

-start off the year doing well in my mocks
-learn to leave time for myself and others instead of obsessing over school
-limit phone usage
-improve my maths!!
-make more time for my own art instead of purely GCSE
-really make my latin game strong
-do well in my gcses (ofc)
-another place to volunteer helping others
-go into sixth form happy!

other things!!

i LOVE art. like a lot. i love drawing more than anything, i love seeing art, visiting galleries, reading books on history of art, entering competitions - i love it all
also i am really interested in mythology and anything greek/roman/egyptian ... hence the a level choices
i volunteer at rainbows and brownies (girlguiding) every week like i said previously i want to find a foodbank, library or museum to help at
and i love reading!! give me something dystopian and i will give it a go
and i have 2 amazing cats called fudge and stewie. very important info

to finishhh:

im not really sure what to say but yes!

have a good day!!
Last edited by 15colesch; 1 year ago
localtoast
Badges: 11
Report 1 year ago
Hey!! I got a grade 8 in Maths (AQA) this year and if you need any help just give me a shout
15colesch
Rep:
?
(Original post by localtoast)
Hey!! I got a grade 8 in Maths (AQA) this year and if you need any help just give me a shout
will do thank you!! im doing edexcel but im sure its pretty similar... honestly i just need to see how i do in the mock bc im always good up until the exam ah! :/
Exdoz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 15colesch)
hi!! i think im a bit late to this but i feel like entering will help motivate me or just let me filter out stress somewhere haha

soooo about me:

im in year 11, doing my exams in july 2020, and these are the subjects i take with my grades:

art - currently grade 9, predicted a 9, want a 9
history - currently grade 9, predicted an 8, want a 9 (please)
latin - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8 (tbh im guessing this will change after mocks)
RS - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want a 9
english literature - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want a 9
english language - currently grade 9, predicted an 8, want a 9
biology - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want a 9
chemistry - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8
physics - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8
maths - currently grade 8, predicted an 8, want an 8 (hopefully eek)

depending on how my mocks go, the predicted grades and working at grades might go up or down but im aiming for at least an 8 in everything
my biggest worry is maths so im putting a lot of effort into that as it is my weakest subject and ive just got to pray for an 8 in my actual mocks. and i can do the questions pretty well in history i am just worried about managing to learn all the content.

im trying my hardest and so im aiming for all grade 9s (that would be AMAZING!), im just being realistic here lol

the future:

I want to stay on at my current (public) school for sixth form to study Art, Latin, Classical Civilisations and GPR (global perspectives and research). The goal is Cambridge University to study classics or history of art!!

aims for 2020:

-start off the year doing well in my mocks
-learn to leave time for myself and others instead of obsessing over school
-limit phone usage
-improve my maths!!
-make more time for my own art instead of purely GCSE
-really make my latin game strong
-do well in my gcses (ofc)
-another place to volunteer helping others
-go into sixth form happy!

other things!!

i LOVE art. like a lot. i love drawing more than anything, i love seeing art, visiting galleries, reading books on history of art, entering competitions - i love it all
also i am really interested in mythology and anything greek/roman/egyptian ... hence the a level choices
i volunteer at rainbows and brownies (girlguiding) every week like i said previously i want to find a foodbank, library or museum to help at
and i love reading!! give me something dystopian and i will give it a go
and i have 2 amazing cats called fudge and stewie. very important info

to finishhh:

im not really sure what to say but yes!

have a good day!!
I'm currently in Year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths, so I can give some advice.

Now for GCSE Maths (I did edexcel):
I remember in the mock exams I got a grade 6- I got around 110/240 (funny how I still remember). Real GCSE Maths, I got a grade 9- 202/240
So Maths is very improvable. I used to use a site called 'Maths Genie' a lot- honestly it helps so much- it has absolutely everything you need (from what I can remember). I also used HegartyMaths- this helped me sooo much with probability. I remember probability being the worse section of them all and so I remember spending a whole 1 week holiday just practicing probability from HegartyMaths. By the end of that week, I could do the most hardest questions of that section and I remember it came up as a 5/6 marker in my real GCSE exam !!
Also, bounds is a pretty popular topic for GCSE Maths- I recall one question coming in my real exam as a 6 marker. When I checked TSR to see how other people across the nation felt about that question, a majority did not get the answer (I believe the answer was 3.70 lmao, I must have amazing memory ). So if you understand concepts like 'bounds' (honestly it's not that hard, in my opinion it's one of the easiest questions you can get), you are definitely in the top percentile of the country

GCSE History (edexcel):
I kid you not, I did not revise GCSE History one bit throughout my time from Year 7 to Year 11 (well that's some exaggeration- but I barely did any work throughout the years). In my GCSE mock exams I got a grade 5 (yikes!). Real exam, I got a Grade 8- I nearly got 100% on one of the papers I remember. And to make you feel better, for each history exam I had (had 3 I believe), 2 days before that exam and during the day I had the exam, I managed to somehow memorise the entire textbook for that paper, which is why I believe I got lucky xD. I was able to do so because I was waking up at 3am everyday and I was sleeping 11pm (a bit extreme), so I had a lot of time on my hands.

*For GCSE, all your answers are literally written in the textbook you have- so for History just by memorising all the books just before I had the exams, I got the grade 8. I think i couldn't get the 9 because maybe my structure to answers wasn't too good, not because I forget any information- I regained all of it! When you come to A-level, you will realise how memorising the whole book could probably only get you a C, but for GCSE it could potentially get you the 9 !*

GCSE Physics (AQA):
In the mock exams I got a grade 3 (yikes again xD). Real GCSE result= Grade 9
This is the same to how I revised for History- I literally just memorised the whole textbook (which was a lot !!! I used to hate it so much, especially understanding concepts like motor effect and generator effect). So it is improvable again.

For GCSE, I would advise to do a lot of AO1 questions- just make sure you know absolutely everything before the exams in terms of AO1. In my opinion the hardest GCSE subject is Biology. Mainly because even if you know all AO1 properly, the mark scheme would always have a different answer to you, even though if yours sounds correct anyways. So I would advise doing qs on Biology a lot- maybe 2 hrs every week ? I did get a Grade 9 in Bio, even though I would never practice exam qs- I would just use the qs from the textbook and that was it. I was only 8 marks into the Grade 9 boundary myself.
- AND for my GCSE Biology exams (all my exams were in 2018), not all the content from the textbook came up- like the questions weren't evenly distributed across all the topics you could get. Some things in the textbook were not even tested, and they seemed like they could be great AO1 questions for the real exam. One of my friends barely revised a whole chapter and he didn't know anything about that chapter, but he still ended up getting a 9. So that should be heads up

If you have any questions, PM me. I know how it feels to be you right now as I was in the same position but no one was there to give me this sort of advice. So I hope this helps. You are definitely much smarter than me if I was to compare how I was during that time, so you could definitely get much better grades than me. Tip- sometimes it can get demotivating to say "Ah why is he getting a higher score than me" during the tests you have in class, but honestly you can improve sooo much. For chemistry I got a grade 4 in the mocks, some people in my year got a 9. I remember a girl even teasing me about how I got the "worst grade possible" (she got the grade 9 in the mock). But in the real GCSE exam, I got an overall of Grade 9, and I was told that I had got the highest raw mark for chem out of everyone in my year. And yes I got higher than her . So keep your heads up, and go smash them exams !!! Let me know how you do
PizzaMan2989
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
I'm currently in Year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths, so I can give some advice.

I remember in the mock exams I got a grade 6- I got around 110/240 (funny how I still remember). Real GCSE Maths, I got a grade 9- 202/240
So Maths is very improvable. I used to use a site called 'Maths Genie' a lot- honestly it helps so much- it has absolutely everything you need (from what I can remember). I also used HegartyMaths- this helped me sooo much with probability. I remember probability being the worse section of them all and so I remember spending a whole 1 week holiday just practicing probability from HegartyMaths. By the end of that week, I could do the most hardest questions of that section and I remember it came up as a 5/6 marker in my real GCSE exam !!
Also, bounds is a pretty popular topic for GCSE Maths- I recall one question coming in my real exam as a 6 marker. When I checked TSR to see how other people across the nation felt about that question, a majority did not get the answer (I believe the answer was 3.70 lmao, I must have amazing memory ). So if you understand concepts like 'bounds' (honestly it's not that hard, in my opinion it's one of the easiest questions you can get), you are definitely in the top percentile of the country

GCSE History (edexcel):
I kid you not, I did not revise GCSE History one bit throughout my time from Year 7 to Year 11 (well that's some exaggeration- but I barely did any work throughout the years). In my GCSE mock exams I got a grade 5 (yikes!). Real exam, I got a Grade 8- I nearly got 100% on one of the papers I remember. And to make you feel better, for each history exam I had (had 3 I believe), 2 days before that exam and during the day I had the exam, I managed to somehow memorise the entire textbook for that paper, which is why I believe I got lucky xD. I was able to do so because I was waking up at 3am everyday and I was sleeping 11pm (a bit extreme), so I had a lot of time on my hands.

*For GCSE, all your answers are literally written in the textbook you have- so for History just by memorising all the books just before I had the exams, I got the grade 8. I think i couldn't get the 9 because maybe my structure to answers wasn't too good, not because I forget any information- I regained all of it! When you come to A-level, you will realise how memorising the whole book could probably only get you a C, but for GCSE it could potentially get you the 9 !*

GCSE Physics (AQA):
This is the same to how I revised for History- I literally just memorised the whole textbook (which was a lot !!! I used to hate it so much, especially understanding concepts like motor effect and generator effect). So it is improvable again.

For GCSE, I would advise to do a lot of AO1 questions- just make sure you know absolutely everything before the exams in terms of AO1. In my opinion the hardest GCSE subject is Biology. Mainly because even if you know all AO1 properly, the mark scheme would always have a different answer to you, even though if yours sounds correct anyways. So I would advise doing qs on Biology a lot- maybe 2 hrs every week ? I did get a Grade 9 in Bio, even though I would never practice exam qs- I would just use the qs from the textbook and that was it. I was only 8 marks into the Grade 9 boundary myself.
- AND for my GCSE Biology exams (all my exams were in 2018), not all the content from the textbook came up- like the questions weren't evenly distributed across all the topics you could get. Some things in the textbook were not even tested, and they seemed like they could be great AO1 questions for the real exam. One of my friends barely revised a whole chapter and he didn't know anything about that chapter, but he still ended up getting a 9. So that should be heads up

If you have any questions, PM me. I know how it feels to be you right now as I was in the same position but no one was there to give me this sort of advice. So I hope this helps. You are definitely much smarter than me if I was to compare how I was during that time, so you could definitely get much better grades than me. Tip- sometimes it can get demotivating to say "Ah why is he getting a higher score than me" during the tests you have in class, but honestly you can improve sooo much. For chemistry I got a grade 4 in the mocks, some people in my year got a 9. I remember a girl even teasing me about how I got the "worst grade possible" (she got the grade 9 in the mock). But in the real GCSE exam, I got an overall of Grade 9, and I was told that I had got the highest raw mark for chem out of everyone in my year. And yes I got higher than her . So keep your heads up, and go smash them exams !!! Let me know how you do
Hey, my biggest struggle rn is English lit and language but especially lang. I hate reading and just English in general but I want to do well. How could I improve - wanting at least a grade 7 but preferably an 8 and I'm working at grade 6
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also my predicted grades/want:

Physics - 9/9
English Literature - 7/8
Geography - 8/9
English Language - 7/8
Biology - 8/9
Computer Science - 7/9
Maths - 8/9
Spanish - 7/8
Chemistry - 9/9

And additional maths
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
By public school, do you mean private?
Exdoz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PizzaMan2989)
Hey, my biggest struggle rn is English lit and language but especially lang. I hate reading and just English in general but I want to do well. How could I improve - wanting at least a grade 7 but preferably an 8 and I'm working at grade 6
I feel you xD. I hated English too- I got a grade 6 in both. I'm definitely not the right one to get advice from for English, but watch Mr Bruff. And with English, watching videos will not get you anywhere, do lots of practice qs. I had never practice qs for English- I don't think I ever did one real exam question from online. You should do this and you will see yourself improve !
username4950464
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i wish you the best of luck! 🥳
15colesch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exdoz)

GCSE History (edexcel):

GCSE Physics (AQA):

wow this is amazing!! thank you so much for the advice ur a saint, it sounds like you did brilliantly so congratulations!! this is actually super helpful and inspiring, wishing you luck for year 13!
15colesch
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellaswords)
i wish you the best of luck! 🥳
thank you !!
15colesch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
By public school, do you mean private?
sorry i mean state ! oops (i'm just lucky to go to one that offers Latin )
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
I feel you xD. I hated English too- I got a grade 6 in both. I'm definitely not the right one to get advice from for English, but watch Mr Bruff. And with English, watching videos will not get you anywhere, do lots of practice qs. I had never practice qs for English- I don't think I ever did one real exam question from online. You should do this and you will see yourself improve !
Oh, thank you soo much!!
Do you mind telling me what your other grades were like?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads