The Student Room Group

Is Biology a respected degree?

I've been thinking about applying for a degree in biology however, after researching it a bit, it doesn't seem to be very well paying/ highly respected. I enjoy biology, mainly the human side (genetics, disease, processes in the body etc), but I'm worried that I might not be able to find a job when I leave uni.

I'm particularly interested in genetics and I've done some research on becoming a genetic counsellor, which seems like an ideal job for me. I'm just not sure if I should keep my options more open by doing a biology degree as opposed to a genetics one.

Sorry if this seems a bit all over the place. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks :fluffy:
Original post by tagviolet
I've been thinking about applying for a degree in biology however, after researching it a bit, it doesn't seem to be very well paying/ highly respected. I enjoy biology, mainly the human side (genetics, disease, processes in the body etc), but I'm worried that I might not be able to find a job when I leave uni.

I'm particularly interested in genetics and I've done some research on becoming a genetic counsellor, which seems like an ideal job for me. I'm just not sure if I should keep my options more open by doing a biology degree as opposed to a genetics one.

Sorry if this seems a bit all over the place. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks :fluffy:

Biology is an amazing degree to have... if you follow it up with a Masters AND PhD.

Otherwise, it's a very good degree to have... if you have related and non-related work experience. Not as good as Chemistry in this regard, but much better than Psychology.
Reply 2
Yes, unless you are Sheldon Cooper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending