amit92911
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello
I'm applying for a MSc Psychology Conversions program. Anyone else here who's done a psychology conversion? What was your experience like? did it help you change career paths? Were you able to get a job after in a related field?
I'm really interested in how the brain works and wish to get into research. And I do realize that ill have to do a masters after this program. But in order to do that, ill need relevant work experience.
Its a difficult choice to make because I will be taking a loan for this course, and I will have to take one after for my masters as well. Wondering if it's worth it and if I should take a leap of faith.

Regards
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why do you need to do a master's degree after the conversion?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I did a conversion course but it was a PgDip rather than an MSc. I then got experience and am now doing an MSc in Forensic Psychology. The conversion course was a lifesaver for me tbh there's no way I'd have got onto the MSc without it.

If you want to go into a specific area you're right in thinking you'll probably need another MSc afterwards, but be aware you can only use the MSc loan once - if you use it for the MSc conversion, you'll have to fund the next MSc in another way.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by amit92911)
Hello
I'm applying for a MSc Psychology Conversions program. Anyone else here who's done a psychology conversion? What was your experience like? did it help you change career paths? Were you able to get a job after in a related field?
I'm really interested in how the brain works and wish to get into research. And I do realize that ill have to do a masters after this program. But in order to do that, ill need relevant work experience.
Its a difficult choice to make because I will be taking a loan for this course, and I will have to take one after for my masters as well. Wondering if it's worth it and if I should take a leap of faith.

Regards
Hi, what is your degree in?

If you purely want to get into research, then you do NOT need to do a conversion course. Depending what your background is, it would be much better to do a research oriented masters degree. To get into psychology research you just need to do a PhD, but your background can be anything theoretically (its quite common for maths, sociology, engineering, biology students to do psych PhDs).

If you have a background in a STEM field, you can likely apply straight away for a research masters or PhD even (though it sounds like it might be too early to do that). I know that Newcastle for example have a neuroscience masters course where they specifically try to recruit engineering/maths undergrad students.

Doing a conversion course might make sense if your undergrad degree was in a arts/humanities subject and have no science or psychology background. A conversion course is only required to become a professional psychologist (e.g. clinical, education) if you don't have a BPS-accredited degree.

On your last point, it probably is quite a big leap of faith, so its up to you whether you want to do it. Very few people who go into psychology research masters go on to do a phd, and few of those become professors/researchers forever. However, if you do a masters/phd/postdoc in psychology it will open other doors, such as being an A Level psychology teacher, University-Level Lecturer/teacher, or industry. However, its definately not as luctrative or secure as doing a masters conversion in Law or computer science for example.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think you need to be quite careful about doing a psychology conversion degree as it doesn’t lead directly to any career pathway. Over the years I’ve come to view psychology degrees as a means to an end, which is cynical but it is based on my own experience of starting one and what I’ve seen in the changing approach universities have had to offering them over the last eight years or so.

The truth is that unless you specifically want a job as a psychologist there is probably another degree out there that is either more interesting or more useful to you to do at masters level.

If you’re interested in “how the brain works” you won’t get that from a psychology conversion course. Neuropsychology is such a small and rushed part of a psychology conversion course that if that’s your primary area of interest you will be disappointed. I had to do a lit review on the role of the frontal lobe in ADHD for my cogneuro course and I genuinely didn’t understand a single paper I read in any depth. There wasn’t enough time. I didn’t lay eyes on a brain until I did anatomy and physiology as part of another degree. Learned a lot more then and since. Neuroscience is the degree you want if you’re genuinely interested in how the brain works and that conversion is probably one worth doing.

If you want to get into vocational psychology, you need to bear in mind that the psychology aspect of that is only a small part of what is required to get into the doctoral programme. You could spend so long actually trying to get into it that you’d have lost years of decent income doing so. I would always advise going for a related profession as a conversion instead and keep Psychology as a sideways move rather than an upward jump.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (802)
42.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed