ChloePCooper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This is from a copy I received from my teacher:

The microbes grow rapidly and enzymes do not have to be supplied. This means that fermentation can take place at lower temperatures than normally used in industrial processes.

What I don't get is why not using enzymes equal to lower temperature? My understanding is that enzymes allowed reactions to take place at lower temperatures?
RM_Asclepius
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Enzymes are still used. The microbes have to use alcohol dehydrogenase to carry out fermentation, I think what the teacher is trying to get at is that extra enzymes do not have to be added to the reaction vessel because the microbes already have them. So basically there are two advantages described by the statement: Extra enzyme does not have to be added and because enzymes are used by the microbes, lower temperatures may be used. Hope this helps.
Exdoz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChloePCooper)
This is from a copy I received from my teacher:

The microbes grow rapidly and enzymes do not have to be supplied. This means that fermentation can take place at lower temperatures than normally used in industrial processes.

What I don't get is why not using enzymes equal to lower temperature? My understanding is that enzymes allowed reactions to take place at lower temperatures?
Misconception: "My understanding is that enzymes allowed reactions to take place at lower temperatures?"

Enzymes don't do that at all- they allow the reaction to take place at the exact temperature (as long as enzymes do not denature). They just catalyse the reaction at that temp- they lower the activation energy of the reactants so they react more readily with one another.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (56)
28.87%
No (138)
71.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed