I sent a friend my work and now I have 67% plagiarism

Watch
Juansig123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am an engineering first year in King's College London. We had a pretty long report due in recently, I worked a lot towards it and finished it. On the other had, a friend was really struggling with it so I sent him my report so he could gather some ideas (it was a lab report and he was in my group, so the results were the same). The problem is that I just checked turnitin and I saw that I have a 67% plagiarism and he has 70%... Does anyone know what will happen? If I have a serious offense I have no problem snitching him, but how can I prove that I did the work and he copied? Also what is the worst that can happen to me for sharing my work? Thanks
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How could you do that? This is KCL not DMU.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have any messages of him asking for help keep them. That will help show who did the work.

You did however allow him to cheat so be prepared to answer questions to defend that.
closure
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Juansig123)
Hello, I am an engineering first year in King's College London. We had a pretty long report due in recently, I worked a lot towards it and finished it. On the other had, a friend was really struggling with it so I sent him my report so he could gather some ideas (it was a lab report and he was in my group, so the results were the same). The problem is that I just checked turnitin and I saw that I have a 67% plagiarism and he has 70%... Does anyone know what will happen? If I have a serious offense I have no problem snitching him, but how can I prove that I did the work and he copied? Also what is the worst that can happen to me for sharing my work? Thanks
Never, ever send your work to someone else. Brainstorming basic ideas is fine, but you are risking a LOT by sending your work to anyone else. Learn from this mistake, and do not do it again.

Hope that the penalty isn’t that bad if you’re actually accused of plagiarism.

Gather all the proof that you can that you sent your work to him. Screenshots of chats etc. Hopefully this may lessen the penalty, but you will still most likely get a penalty regardless. There may be leniency since you’re a first year, but don’t be surprised if you’re capped on this assignment or get a mark of zero.
Last edited by closure; 1 year ago
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have no experience with this so my advice may not be correct but if it was me I’d be getting in first.
Hopefully your work is backed up on your computer and will show dates etc.
See your tutors and show them and explain. You should also be able to show you forwarded your work and when
lili4648
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd imagine that as you are in your first year, there may be some leniency with regards to how they choose to take action. However, plagiarism is a serious offence and let this be a warning that there can be serious consequences if this happens in the future. Did you send your friend the report by email because it may be a good idea to have proof of how the document was shared?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly that was a really foolish move. He could have easily copied from you, at uni you have to think of number one unfortunately. If he copied it and submitted it before you then you would be the one getting in trouble for plagiarism.
Learn from this and never send your work to people on your course again.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Honestly that was a really foolish move. He could have easily copied from you, at uni you have to think of number one unfortunately. If he copied it and submitted it before you then you would be the one getting in trouble for plagiarism.
Learn from this and never send your work to people on your course again.
To be fair some people are very good at guilting people into sharing their work. They even make it so like you seem like an ******* if you dont. They make a load of promises that they will never copy it and they just want ideas.

I'm not trying to defend the OPs action but some people are very good at playing people.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adam271)
To be fair some people are very good at guilting people into sharing their work. They even make it so like you seem like an ******* if you dont. They make a load of promises that they will never copy it and they just want ideas.

I'm not trying to defend the OPs action but some people are very good at playing people.
Oh absolutely, some people are super manipulative. One thing i do is give them pointers without sending the work over and if they are still being pushy after that then i say to watch the lecture capture or to see the tutor
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
How could you do that? This is KCL not DMU.
It doesn't matter what institution this is from - if you have 67% and 70% respectively, and that institution said that it was an individual assignment, you're going to end up in a bit of trouble (or at least have a stern talking to).

This is why you don't give other people your work - because of plagiarism issues. Every main university will use Turnitin (I know DMU does so your comparison doesn't make sense). First offense, first year, you might just about get away with. Repeat offense, or 2nd/3rd year, you certainly won't.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stupid thing to do and I will be very, very surprised if you escape this without repercussion.

The worst that can happen is expulsion, but this is unlikely for a first offence. More likely is that you fail the assignment and face disciplinary action, probably some compulsory training
Last edited by gjd800; 1 year ago
Charlie101998
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Before I submitted my work for my Computer Science Course, I had to do a test on Plagiarism. What you have done here is something called collusion. You have, out of your own free will, provided him with your work in an effort to help him with his. This is considered just as bad as plagiarism. You need to go to your course leader and explain the situation to him along with any supporting evidence in the hope they don't eject you from the course. I too study at KCL first year so I know their policy when it comes to this sort of thing and understand your worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads