jayjayfucopil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Anyone can explain why people urinate more frequently when they have been drinking alcohol?
Advertisement
Madz178
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A combination of two factors causes the increased urinary frequency that happens with alcohol consumption:

Chemical changes in the kidneys
The increased amount of fluid in the body from alcoholic beverages

The frequent urination issues that alcohol causes are primarily due to chemical changes that occur when drinking alcohol. Alcohol suppresses areas of the brain that release a chemical called vasopressin. In normal conditions, this chemical causes the kidneys to reabsorb some of the fluid that is filtered through the kidneys.

This effect helps to regulate the amount of urine produced. When the amount of vasopressin in the body is lowered, the body does not reabsorb as much fluid from the kidneys, causing the kidneys to increase the amount of urine produced.

In addition to the effects of alcohol on vasopressin, the volume of alcohol also contributes to the amount of urine produced. While the effects of vasopressin on the kidneys have the greatest effect on urine production, the amount of alcohol consumed also increases urine production, as the body must get rid of that extra fluid. Essentially, the more a person drinks, the more frequently they will have to urinate.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jayjayfucopil)
Anyone can explain why people urinate more frequently when they have been drinking alcohol?
Well alcohol inhibits ADH!
Advertisement
Exdoz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jayjayfucopil)
Alcohol inhibits ADH production. What does ADH do? ADH makes the walls around the distal convoluted tubule and the collecting duct more permeable to water- so more is reabsorbed into the blood. *The DCT and collecting duct are part of the structure of the nephron (they make up the kidney) *

Hence because of alcohol, less ADH produced= Walls of DCT and collecting duct less permeable to water= Less reabsorbed into the blood= More excreted as urine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?