Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    S1 or M2?.....please bear in mind that i was not, in any way, able to grasp the mean, mode, median and range part in GCSE (btw, i do not know if that is relevant here or not). Please tell me if S1 is the same stuff as the above mentioned because my decision will be based upon your answer!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started year 12 yet but I've done most of the questions in the textbooks for Edexcel M1 and S1, and I find S1 a lot easier than M1. M1 is much much much more interesting though - S1 is mindnumbingly boring.

Edit: sorry, thought you said M1, not M2.

ReputationRep:
    I found S1 pretty easy. There is mean in it but not so much the difference between mean, mode etc. A lot of it's probability. I guess it depends how you found M1, and if you particularly like physics? If you're doing physics A level I guess M2 would be more useful.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    S1, because generally speaking, '1' modules are easier than '2' modules.

ReputationRep:
    Even though the second modules are harder than the first ones, i voted M2 because statics sucks.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience people always did better in S1 than M1 and certainly better than in M2.

Which is more enjoyable is slightly more debatable

ReputationRep:
    S1 sucks. Period. I knew how to do the exam questions, but didn't really understand the 'point' of the whole thing. The whole think, at least my version was, solid probability. Not too hard, though.

ReputationRep:
    We did S1 in further maths in about half a term and I got 97% on that module. I still maintain that was by pure fluke though - as some of the questions on the test were bloody hard.

I've not done any mechanics yet, apart from similar sort of stuff in physics, but I think it will be a lot harder for me (although more interesting, and probably more useful).

ReputationRep:
    I hate both with a passion

ReputationRep:
    I am actually confused rite now because i just had a look at one of the S1 past papers and it seems kind of difficult for me! (Note: I did not touch the S1 textbook...just wanted to have an idea).

ReputationRep:
    Most things seem difficult if you haven't looked at the textbook or learnt this stuff. This isn't a media studies A level.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is dull and boring but easy.

S1 is very very easy. I was having trouble with M1 when we first started but S1 was a piece of cake.

ReputationRep:
    I personally hate mechanics modules and much prefer statistics. Admittedly that may be because I did M1 as extra and we weren't properly taught it whereas we did S1 properly in lessons. S1 seems horrible to start with but once you get your head round it it's absolutely fine-the same sorts of questions come up every year. But if you couldn't even grasp the basics of mean/median/mode etc then Stats probably isn't for you. How did you find M1? If you found that easy then you should be fine with M2.

ReputationRep:
    yeah M1 was OK (i wouldn't say like as easy as C1 for example)....but i had a look at M2 and it seems kind of tough!

ReputationRep:
    again i was horrible at the statistics part in GCSE and thats y i cant make a decision!!

ReputationRep:
    I could not get my head around M1 (got 65 and then 84 in the resit?) And yet with minimal effort i got 100/100 on S1 :p: which meant i didnt even have to sit M2 So dunno how helpful my opinion is...

If you've already done M1, I think M2 is easier than S1.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is even if i don't do great in S1, it'll still be good compared to a relatively high mark in M2....are you getting what i mean....the bar is higher for S1 than for M2 (or atleast it seems so)

ReputationRep:
    orrite....it seems i am gonna go with S1 afterall!

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.