Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else ever have a problem with their sat nav not working properly? I went to pick up a friend at his new house in the next town, which I'm not at all familiar with, and I got there okay, but on my way home after I had dropped him back home, my Tom Tom decided to take me around some random block, and just kept telling me to go around it in a circle I had to pull up and tell it to direct me somewhere else I was familiar with, and eventually it got me home. Also, Mr. Tom Tom doesn't finish his sentences. Because my friend's car isn't working at the moment, I'm going to have to go pick him up again next time I see him, and I just dread trying to make my way there and back again. Does anyone else's sat nav go a bit funny like this?

ReputationRep:
    mr tom tom doesnt like wimmins

ReputationRep:
    I use a map.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    I use a map.
    explains the car in your sig :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate sat nav most of the time. The amount of people that have called me up really confused because their sat nav has taken them down through the farm as a "shortcut" to my house is ridiculous :laugh:

Though it's fine if it's taking me somewhere where I roughly know the area anyway once I'm there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
    So?

I drive a 10 year old Astra and I never have nor want sat nav.

It's a waste, encourages people to be lazy and, knowing the way the government in this country does[n't] work, it will soon be outlawed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sell the piece of junk and get a cheap map for £2.99 or so in a petrol station somewhere-

I never understood the point of these things. Map is good enough.

And my dad got one all he wanted to do was get to Cheltenham, it took him miles out of his way to get there. Stupid machines, I'm yet to have a problem with a map. Really stick to map, it'll help your geographical skills etc too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    Sell the piece of junk and get a cheap map for £2.99 or so in a petrol station somewhere-

And my dad got one all he wanted to do was get to Cheltenham, it took him miles out of his way to get there. Stupid machines, I'm yet to have a problem with a map. Really stick to map, it'll help your geographical skills etc too.
    Ok so you go to a different city, you need to keep stopping to check the map, whereas on the tomtom it just tell you where to go much easier and safer.

Amount of people ive seen that have trtied to use a map and drive is ridiculous.

Easier to use a tomtom rather than pulling over every 2 mins. Tom tom helps you to keep focused on the road more.

Maps can get outdated to.

Tomtom can hook your mobile up and give you traffic reports to.

Its common sense that using a sat nav is just plain easier. Its not about being lazy, its just safer and easier to use a tomtom.

Simple really.

( above post was just a joke if you didint latch on to the smiley )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)

choose the shortest route or quickest route then :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ok so you go to a different city, you need to keep stopping to check the map, whereas on the tomtom it just tell you where to go much easier and safer.

Amount of people ive seen that have trtied to use a map and drive is ridiculous.

Easier to use a tomtom rather than pulling over every 2 mins. Tom tom helps you to keep focused on the road more.

Its common sense that using a sat nav is just plain easier. Its not about being lazy, its just safer and easier to use a tomtom.

Simple really.

I don't own one, it's my dad's gadget, I cope fine with maps and drive fine, get there in the amount of time I plan the journey to be, double checking the route when I take a break at a services or something if it's a long journey. And if a sat nav breaks all the time it'd be rubbish. At least if you get lost with a map you can stop and check it. If a sat nav screws up and you're in a place you don't know you're buggered.

Also, if you plan your route a map is miles easier. If you can remember the main roads you've got to use it's fine. Hardly any stopping if any.

And for some of the prices I've seen these things at, seems like a waste of money

Just find maps lots easier **** I feel old now

ReputationRep:

Simple really.

Tom Toms are not infallible. Good research and an accurate up to date map is. And it's quicker to pick a different route with a map.

And there's none of this "trying to find satellite". If something can't look up, how good is it, really? :p:

Think of it this way, racing drivers don't have sat nav to direct them, they learn the course.

Pilots don't have sat nav in the cockpit, they have maps.

And, I've seen far worse driving as the result of a satnav than I have from the use of a map. People veering across 3 lanes of motorways, diving into side streets without indicating, people not looking at the road at all and just staring at their talking box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Pilots don't have sat nav in the cockpit, they have maps.

And, I've seen far worse driving as the result of a satnav than I have from the use of a map. People veering across 3 lanes of motorways, diving into side streets without indicating, people not looking at the road at all and just staring at their talking box.
    Pilots use maps, but their main direction is given by atc with headings :confused: or they use their own sat nav which follows way points they put in .........

Last point doesnt count as ive seen jsut as bad with people with maps infront of them on the steering wheel.

If you need to re route, just push the re route button :confused:

edit - im not really talking about tom tom here, im just refeering to my inbuilt sat nav

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I don't know what you're on about...

Seriously, my road map in that car is from 1974.

I can generally hold enough directions in my head to not need to stop to check them very often, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    If you use a map and thus your brain, to get you somewhere you will be more likely to remember the route itself and so you will be increasing your knowledge of the roads. I live in London and would never dream of using a sat-nav system; by constantly using different routes and roads I build up a huge amount of knowledge with regards to getting around. So next time Mr Tom Tom directs you straight into an unexpected traffic jam, have fun fiddling with it to tell you a new route. Personally I would rather just know the other route in the first place and not hit traffic at all.

Knowledge is the key. Especially in cities like London.

Richard

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends what you drive. With big vehicles i think maps are safer. Regularly have bridges stuck on HGVs and the police assisting HGVs and coaches out of the smallest of country lanes round here only for the next sucker to turn up a few minutes later after following their sat nav.

However with a car i'm sure its a million times better in an unfamiliar environment.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    i got a traffic reciever for my tomtom and i have to say mr tomtom has never guided me wrong, nor into a traffic jam....i have nothing but praise for my tomtom one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    I guess it depends what you drive. With big vehicles i think maps are safer. Regularly have bridges stuck on HGVs and the police assisting HGVs and coaches out of the smallest of country lanes round here only for the next sucker to turn up a few minutes later after following their sat nav.

However with a car i'm sure its a million times better in an unfamiliar environment.

Mark
    Actually thats wrong, its usually the other way round. Hauliers who implement sat nav systems incorporate low bridges as POI and can reroute to avoid bridges that are too low etc rather than finding out at the bridge your going to have to do a 3 point turn in an articulated lorry.

ReputationRep:
    I love how crazy the lady goes when you get to some ridiculously complicated junction in London. Worst I've had is being told to turn left after I've passed the turning making me go on huge detours :rolleyes: And also trying to make me drive onto a field in Stevenage. It's a pity how they get out of date so quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richie90)
    Actually thats wrong, its usually the other way round. Hauliers who implement sat nav systems incorporate low bridges as POI and can reroute to avoid bridges that are too low etc rather than finding out at the bridge your going to have to do a 3 point turn in an articulated lorry.
    My bad, don't drive a HGV and i was only going on what gets printed in the local newspaper virtually every week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freud)
    I love how crazy the lady goes when you get to some ridiculously complicated junction in London.
    There are so many fast moving junctions in London where a sat nav can simply not spit out the directions fast enough or clear enough, causing a recipe for disaster with people going mad trying to fix it and not watching the road.

Richard

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.