Turn on thread page Beta

New U2 album (Vertigo) due for release in November stolen! watch

• View Poll Results: Will you be downloading the Vertigo album by U2 if it is leaked?
    Yeah! I love U2. And I'm not paying.
    6.90%
    Yes, But I'll pay for the CD when it is released!
    6.90%
    No, I'll download it for free when it's released :p:
    10.34%
    No way, I'm too big a fan to steal from them! I'll wait to buy it.
    3.45%
    U2? Ewww. No, I wouldn't even download it for free!
    72.41%

ReputationRep:
    Wow, a lot of hate towards U2! Personally I think some of their songs are really good, With or Without You comes to mind

ReputationRep:
    U2 have released 2 of the best albums of all times (Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree)

U2 were, at their peak, amongst the top 5 live acts of all time.

U2 are now, although well past their peak one of the best live stadium acts going.

Bonos voice, again past its peak, is one of the greatest in rock history.

U2 are now a band which have major label backing and so get a lot of promotion with each release (i.e their last 2) and are now very commercial so a lot of peopel thin kthey are over popularised - but they are still one of the great bands.

ReputationRep:
    U2 have sold more than 170 million albums worldwide and have won more Grammy Awards than any other band.In 2005, the band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility. Rolling Stone Magazine listed U2 at 22 in their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.
    By the time it finished, the Vertigo Tour had sold 4,619,021 tickets — with 131 shows — for a total gross of $389 million; the gross was the second-highest such figure ever, bested only by The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang Tour.
    Yes, crap band obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    better than neil young tho.
    hell no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the wolf at the door)
    hell no.
    I am a fan of both so am happy to make that judgement. It was pretty easy to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I am a fan of both so am happy to make that judgement. It was pretty easy to be honest.
    well if you're a fan of both... Seriously though, you can't really think U2 are better than Neil Young. For what reason!?!?

ReputationRep:
    well if you're a fan of both... Seriously though, you can't really think U2 are better than Neil Young. For what reason!?!?
    better albums better live

not much else more i can say to that

to say u2 are crap and neil yougn is awesome is ridicuous - admittedly their music is not THAT similar but even if you dont liek U2s type of music you can't really say they are crap

ReputationRep:
    better albums better live

not much else more i can say to that

to say u2 are crap and neil yougn is awesome is ridicuous - admittedly their music is not THAT similar but even if you dont liek U2s type of music you can't really say they are crap
    yeh i wouldn't dismiss anything by calling it crap. I would certainly call them overrated.
    I would also say that Neil Young has by far better albums. EKTIK, After the goldrush, harvest (that is an overrated album), on the beach, tonights the night and rust never sleeps >>>>> The Joshua Tree (which i would say is definatley U2's best.)

Bono might do some good things but he has an ego like ****ing aniken skywalker. And quite frankly, i'd say The Joshua Tree is their only good album. And it's really good, but that was 1987 and since then the band have blagged themselves fame through Bono going out and pimping himself. Ok, not quite, but this guy is one of the worlds most famous men, he's a superstar and yet his job is a musician and he's only made one decent album - two decades ago!

And live, well to be honest i've haven't seen U2 live - but when i saw the 63 year old Neil Young, he was pretty ****ing amazing.

P.S. Neil Young still makes great music.
    P.S. Bit of a rant. I jsut really dislike U2 (well mainly Bono)

ReputationRep:
    achtung baby is U2's best - you havent heard the best they have to offer!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:br61mpe39f2o

ReputationRep:
    achtung baby is U2's best - you havent heard the best they have to offer!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:br61mpe39f2o
    The Joshua Tree ****es all over Achtung Baby for me.

ReputationRep:
    The Joshua Tree ****es all over Achtung Baby for me.
    True U2 fans know how good AB

AB destroys anything NY has done

ReputationRep:
    Joshua Tree
    All That You Can't Leave Behind
    How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    Achtung Baby
    Four amazing albums, no question about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Joshua Tree
    All That You Can't Leave Behind
    How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    Achtung Baby
    Four amazing albums, no question about it.
    I haven't heard ATYCLB. But HTDAB was not good.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard ATYCLB. But HTDAB was not good.
    Its not good based on your opinion, thats not really a solid point to say whether it was good.:no:
    How about the opinions of:
    How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb won eight Grammy Awards, sold 10 million copies, and yielded several successful singles.
    10 million copies, in the age of downloading music. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    the Spice Girls have sold ove 120 million copies. Does that mean they must be brilliant due to the high sales?

ReputationRep:
    the Spice Girls have sold ove 120 million copies. Does that mean they must be brilliant due to the high sales?
    Were not talking about a band, were talking about a single album which you said was crap but clearly many people dont think so, I was just making the point. :yep:
    Also they have sold 120 million copies in a age were downloading music was not the main thing, U2's single album sold a 1/12th of that, just think of how many people downloaded it.
    Also your ignoring the Grammys it recieved, although most awards shows are trash and favour popularity, the Grammys cover every genre nearly and the winners are usually deserving. (although Bon Jovi has never won a grammy :no:)
    U2 (Second best selling tour of all time, Spice Girls couldn't finished theres a majority of the tickets they sold went on ebay, U2 SOLD OUT!:yep:)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a U2 fan

*hides*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Were not talking about a band, were talking about a single album which you said was crap but clearly many people dont think so, I was just making the point. :yep:
    Also they have sold 120 million copies in a age were downloading music was not the main thing, U2's single album sold a 1/12th of that, just think of how many people downloaded it.
    Also your ignoring the Grammys it recieved, although most awards shows are trash and favour popularity, the Grammys cover every genre nearly and the winners are usually deserving. (although Bon Jovi has never won a grammy :no:)
    U2 (Second best selling tour of all time, Spice Girls couldn't finished theres a majority of the tickets they sold went on ebay, U2 SOLD OUT!:yep:)
    I was gonna argue back, but then mentioned Bon Jovi and there is no way i'm discussing how great a band is with a guy who likes Bon Jovi.:no:

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna argue back, but then mentioned Bon Jovi and there is no way i'm discussing how great a band is with a guy who likes Bon Jovi.:no:
    You have been discussing whilst Bon Jovi was in my society list.:yep:
    Also Bon Jovi are similar to U2 in the way they are built up, a group of amazing muscians just making good music, also I respect any band who can cover multiple genres perfectly. :woo: Bon Jovi have been top of their game sicne 1987, every album was amazing, I mean U2 had not so good albums but Bon Jovi haven't in my eyes anyway. Not to mention the guitarist has released two amazing stupidly underatted albums which are my two favourite of all time :yep:.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.