Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No I don't. I just don't like being *****ed about, even to the point of lies, sometimes behind my back. Amazing that guys are so petty and *****y and that university is such a childish adolescent environment rather than a live and let live one. Seems most people are too stupid to realise how they could be happier without all this ****,. or maybe their lives are so empty they need it
    Oh look. You're being a hypocrite. And you wonder why they don't treat you with respect when you privately look down your nose at them?

(Original post by MSB)

In the sense of you must prove to the people that matter to you that you are a good person.
    Don't get me wrong there are those. But I just can't stop the negative getting to me. I see through people and dsislike them, on the other hand I am honourable towards those I like and really really like them.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong there are those. But I just can't stop the negative getting to me. I see through people and dsislike them, on the other hand I am honourable towards those I like and really really like them.
    Of course there are horrible people, and there are bad things that happen in the world. However, it does seem like your view of life is rather skewed.

Nobody is perfect, including yourself (and definitely including myself, too).

(Original post by Crimson Black)
    Oh look. You're being a hypocrite. And you wonder why they don't treat you with respect when you privately look down your nose at them?
    Well I'm sick of this hit about how it's juts them being human, or part of them needing to be loved or whatever else people come up with. Basic decency isnt much to ask for, I've given it out countless times only to be derided or bullied for 'weakness' or not had the favour returned.

ReputationRep:
    People aren't always decent nowadays. It's part of life.

ReputationRep:
    When i first read what you wrote i thought it was probably best to wait and see any other posts you may put down before i lose all my rep over my post. After reading through the reasons you have given I have come to the conclusion that you actually deserve very little respect in the first place.

I cannot stand people who rank themselves better than any other human being, there is no need for it and i have yet to see this better moral standing you claim to hold.

You judge people from a selection of people you don't like and is it too far too assume that you probably haven't even had a conversation with these people before taking a dislike to them?

So if your wondering why your being talked about and why you get no respect. It is because you do not even have the social skills to make an effort with people. No one wants to hear that they are below someone else.

Normally i would say that if you want the world to back off, make it back off. But in your case i'll say an attitude adjustment is in order because not everyone is bad. Yeah some people are a waste of time and real pain in the arses...but you can't claim someone to be like that without giving them a chance.

Im not going anon, i know my rep will be killed. But I believe what i just said so i couldn't care at all =]

(Original post by LawGirl 91)
    I cannot stand people who rank themselves better than any other human being, there is no need for it and i have yet to see this better moral standing you claim to hold.

You judge people from a selection of people you don't like and is it too far too assume that you probably haven't even had a conversation with these people before taking a dislike to them?
    I don't rank myself better, there are people who are kind and who I have great respect for, sadly they are few and most of the time you just get bullied and people like you when you take it as you are suggesting. It seems to me part of being popular or respected is allowing yourself to be used by people, since most respect gos along the lines of who is the biggest bully at this age.
    You're suggesting I need to appear folksy and ingratiate myself with these people. Why should I when their system of respect is so warped?

ReputationRep:
    I don't rank myself better, there are people who are kind and who I have great respect for, sadly they are few and most of the time you just get bullied and people like you when you take it as you are suggesting. It seems to me part of being popular or respected is allowing yourself to be used by people, since most respect gos along the lines of who is the biggest bully at this age.
    You're suggesting I need to appear folksy and ingratiate myself with these people. Why should I when their system of respect is so warped?
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

There is a point to this actually.

Because if your younger than i thought i retract my post, i sincerely do.

But if your the age i think you may be, i still believe you should be a little more grown up and a little less naive. People suck! they really do. But there is no need to rank people on judgement because that helps no one. There are always going to be people you wont get along with you just need to grow and learn that it doesn't matter what people say or even think about you. As long as you can wake up and look yourself in the mirror everyday then there is no problem.

Maybe I just read to much into things and over analyse.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

There is a point to this actually.

Because if your younger than i thought i retract my post, i sincerely do.

But if your the age i think you may be, i still believe you should be a little more grown up and a little less naive. People suck! they really do. But there is no need to rank people on judgement because that helps no one. There are always going to be people you wont get along with you just need to grow and learn that it doesn't matter what people say or even think about you. As long as you can wake up and look yourself in the mirror everyday then there is no problem.
    Actually I posted in abstract-as if it was current but I was posting about my past-could call it a morbid fascination with the past

ReputationRep:
    If you don't integrate then you're screwed basically and you'll still be as pissed off as you are now.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I posted in abstract-as if it was current but I was posting about my past-could call it a morbid fascination with the past
    If its reflecting more on a school period. Please accept an apology as I was too harsh on a high school drama flash back. School is harsh and unfair.

However if its more adult life/ the big bad world i stick to what i said.

But maybe you should think as to why you seem so consumed with what people think or say about you?

As long as you are happy with yourself let people get on with it, what does it matter? (Which even includes what i think about you!)

If its reflecting more on a school period. Please accept an apology as I was too harsh on a high school drama flash back. School is harsh and unfair.

However if its more adult life/ the big bad world i stick to what i said.

But maybe you should think as to why you seem so consumed with what people think or say about you?

As long as you are happy with yourself let people get on with it, what does it matter? (Which even includes what i think about you!)
    It seems what's respected in the adult world is different, I hope so anyway.

Can't help it, am sensitive to conflict. People who say they don't care are in my experience on the defensive and not necessarily telling the truth-those who protest too much and all

ReputationRep:
    As someone else said, "people suck".

OP I think what you need is a bit more tolerance.

Basically, social people cannot understand people who aren't social. Cannot as in, don't have the ability. If you try to "interact" with them, social dynamics take over which will lead to your exclusion in some form (this can take the form of ridicule and whatever else you said).

People grow out of this as they grow older, so it should get better.

Meanwhile I think what you should try is to not judge people by how they treat you, but by how they treat others. (This is what I do.) This might help you respect them more, which may ease your mind a bit, which might make you less tense when you interact with them.

It may also be that you just haven't met the right people yet.

Good luck.

Edit: I don't know if the following applies to you or not, but in case it does, I wanted to add it because I think it's important.

Don't feel 'guilty' about not being what people expect... If you feel guilty about not being social, you are more likely to hate people for putting you in situations where they expect you to be social, and where you can't 'perform' because you aren't social... So you feel more guilty, which makes you hate them more.. = vicious circle. If this doesn't apply to your situation, just forget it; if it does apply: steer clear of the guilt. Accepting the way you are is (ironically) the first step to forgiving others for not immediately accepting the way you are.

ReputationRep:
    if someone talks down to you just beat the **** out of them and they will respect you for it don't hate everyone just because some guy thinks hes cool.

It's like when I've worked really hard to achieve, I've treated people decently etc and all I get is some lie made up 'What are you predicted?' 'oh 3A's'. 'Oh my Dad met your Dad and said that all you ever do is work 7 hours a day' (*****y Lie) :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.