medicine super-curricular activities

Watch this thread
pipthesqueak
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey just wanted to know what kind of academic activities are great for medicine? i am planning to do work experience and i volunteer too! i’ve attended a few medicine conferences and talks but i feel like i need more? any recommendations? ((:
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Do reading round the subject. Find a niche interest and elaborate on it. Enter Cambridge essay competitions, go to Cambridge medicine master classes. Go to Cambridge science week for inspiration, there is a medical day, ( weekend in February or March)

But best of all join St. John ambulance. You can take badges, and end up with a grand prior award like a queens scout. You will learn about cpr and face dilemma scenarios etc. Many people who join end up as nurses, paramedics etc as well as doctors and you get to meet likeminded people of all ages.

Best of all take the peer educator course, which will give you the opportunity to teach younger cadets about medical topics such as stroke. A uea interviewer called it ucas gold.

Good luck
OsmanM15
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you're located around London, I definitely recommend attending the Kings Medicine in Action Lecture Series and Imperial Vision Junior Conference.

Some other things you could do is try get into summer schools or programmes such as K+ etc. Though these are often very competitive they are also incredibly useful.

Best of Luck!
pipthesqueak
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by OsmanM15)
If you're located around London, I definitely recommend attending the Kings Medicine in Action Lecture Series and Imperial Vision Junior Conference.

Some other things you could do is try get into summer schools or programmes such as K+ etc. Though these are often very competitive they are also incredibly useful.

Best of Luck!
thank you!! unfortunately, i didnt get in for the k+ programme or the lecture series (too many people applied) )):
i applied for their medview so i hope i do get in! (:

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Do reading round the subject. Find a niche interest and elaborate on it. Enter Cambridge essay competitions, go to Cambridge medicine master classes. Go to Cambridge science week for inspiration, there is a medical day, ( weekend in February or March)

But best of all join St. John ambulance. You can take badges, and end up with a grand prior award like a queens scout. You will learn about cpr and face dilemma scenarios etc. Many people who join end up as nurses, paramedics etc as well as doctors and you get to meet likeminded people of all ages.

Best of all take the peer educator course, which will give you the opportunity to teach younger cadets about medical topics such as stroke. A uea interviewer called it ucas gold.

Good luck
this is very helpful! thank you so much for your reply (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.46%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.82%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed