Any extra tips for revising GCSE languages Watch

Studentboy783
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I’m doing GCSE Spanish and I just want to know some extra tips since it isn’t a subject where you just memorise a textbook and Learn the exam technique. So far I’ve collected
- the textbook vocab
- the CCEA core vocab
- past paper vocab
- Vocab from any workbooks our teacher has given us

Vocab is where I feel set and I feel pretty confident for 3/4 of these papers.

But listening and grammar are an issue. We don’t do many listening exercises outside of past papers and grammar we’ve got only theory notes.

So if anyone knows of any resources for grammar/listening for GCSE level languages that would be great
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Studentboy783)
So I’m doing GCSE Spanish and I just want to know some extra tips since it isn’t a subject where you just memorise a textbook and Learn the exam technique. So far I’ve collected
- the textbook vocab
- the CCEA core vocab
- past paper vocab
- Vocab from any workbooks our teacher has given us

Vocab is where I feel set and I feel pretty confident for 3/4 of these papers.

But listening and grammar are an issue. We don’t do many listening exercises outside of past papers and grammar we’ve got only theory notes.

So if anyone knows of any resources for grammar/listening for GCSE level languages that would be great
I took French at GCSE.

For listening - try and do as many textbook exercises as you can. If you can’t use the textbook, old spec listening past papers are a fair bit easier than the reformed GCSE but still a good place to start, and you could always have a go at AS listening papers to push yourself once you’re feeling more confident. I also recommend listening to French songs on YouTube, or even the odd podcast if you have time.

For grammar - this one’s harder, you essentially just need to practice, practice, practice. We used to have vocab/grammar books where we’d make notes on complex structures, different tenses, irregular verbs etc - maybe create one when you’re revising and go through harder grammar points really carefully. Textbook exercises (or writing past papers for old spec) might also help perhaps.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.
muffboo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
I took French at GCSE.

For listening - try and do as many textbook exercises as you can. If you can’t use the textbook, old spec listening past papers are a fair bit easier than the reformed GCSE but still a good place to start, and you could always have a go at AS listening papers to push yourself once you’re feeling more confident. I also recommend listening to French songs on YouTube, or even the odd podcast if you have time.

For grammar - this one’s harder, you essentially just need to practice, practice, practice. We used to have vocab/grammar books where we’d make notes on complex structures, different tenses, irregular verbs etc - maybe create one when you’re revising and go through harder grammar points really carefully. Textbook exercises (or writing past papers for old spec) might also help perhaps.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.
I find GCSE spanish so hard i hate it so much. idk how to revise and i got a 5 in my mock last year which was rlly not what i was expecting given that im doing higher.
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by muffboo)
I find GCSE spanish so hard i hate it so much. idk how to revise and i got a 5 in my mock last year which was rlly not what i was expecting given that im doing higher.
If you work hard and put in the time, and follow some of the advice above, I’m sure you have every chance of improving that grade. There is still a lot of time until your exams so as long as you focus and really try hard I’m sure you could get to at least a grade 7 by the exams; many people improve by 1-2 grades from their mocks to the real thing. Good luck!
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Listening:
- Lyrics training app is great for this, I won't explain it here, though, because when you get on it's quite self-explanatory.
- Use kerboodle if you have it and do the practice listening exercises.
- Watch netflix/ Spanish TV with ENglish subtitles (there's also an extension you can get so that you can have Spanish and English subtitles - that's the best thing) so that you get used to hearing the language.
Essentially, you need to almost 'tune in' to the language and learn to separate words out so that you can identify the main topics of conversation and go from there.

Grammar:
- CGP workbooks are great. I used to do an English to French translation every morning and then mark it. This would allow me to practice exam technique whilst identifying the grammar/ vocab that I know, and what I need to practice.
- Over Christmas especially, the Hello Talk app can be really helpful. You basically get to talk to native speakers of Spanish who will correct your grammar. Obviously, ou have to be careful talking to strangers online, but I've never had any problems. I got it last year and since then I've beconme so much more confident in all 4 disciplines of language learning, and my basic grammar is so much stronger!
muffboo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
If you work hard and put in the time, and follow some of the advice above, I’m sure you have every chance of improving that grade. There is still a lot of time until your exams so as long as you focus and really try hard I’m sure you could get to at least a grade 7 by the exams; many people improve by 1-2 grades from their mocks to the real thing. Good luck!
thankyou so much i will defo try these
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?