Lockthedoor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I'm seeking thoughts and opinions (perhaps even a bit of comfort) on my utterly frustrating adventure with the Civil Service.

I was recruited for a Grade 7 post for a Brexit-related Department, but by the time my clearance came through, they called the General Elections and we went into purdah.

Following the result, nobody has been able to confirm whether the role I was recruited for would still be available. And the Line Manager I was assigned to went on leave. Furthermore, it now looks likely that the Department I was assigned to (I was recruited through a central campaign) might disappear or get absorbed by another one - not to mention that there might be a few thousands Civil Servants out on the loose and looking to be re-assigned elsewhere.

I have engaged in a correspondence with the recruitment team, and they basically said that they are constantly looking for updates as well as for roles in other departments.However, none of them has been able to give me more information, nor have they told me that no matter what I will still be given a place at some point.

Needless to say, this is devastating. If you wanna have a laugh, just think of the fact that I applied for the role in June. It's now December and still nothing.

I guess what I am keen to find out is whether I will get assigned at some point. Partly, I think I might, as I have passed the thousand recruitment phases and even got security cleared. But in light of the current developments, I am starting to get worried and, quite frankly depressed.

Do I have any certainty that, no matter what, at some point I'm going to get in, or is there a risk that the entire recruitment campaign would get scrapped and they'd just tell me "sorry but that's it"?

Any information would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lockthedoor)
Hi all,

I'm seeking thoughts and opinions (perhaps even a bit of comfort) on my utterly frustrating adventure with the Civil Service.

I was recruited for a Grade 7 post for a Brexit-related Department, but by the time my clearance came through, they called the General Elections and we went into purdah.

Following the result, nobody has been able to confirm whether the role I was recruited for would still be available. And the Line Manager I was assigned to went on leave. Furthermore, it now looks likely that the Department I was assigned to (I was recruited through a central campaign) might disappear or get absorbed by another one - not to mention that there might be a few thousands Civil Servants out on the loose and looking to be re-assigned elsewhere.

I have engaged in a correspondence with the recruitment team, and they basically said that they are constantly looking for updates as well as for roles in other departments.However, none of them has been able to give me more information, nor have they told me that no matter what I will still be given a place at some point.

Needless to say, this is devastating. If you wanna have a laugh, just think of the fact that I applied for the role in June. It's now December and still nothing.

I guess what I am keen to find out is whether I will get assigned at some point. Partly, I think I might, as I have passed the thousand recruitment phases and even got security cleared. But in light of the current developments, I am starting to get worried and, quite frankly depressed.

Do I have any certainty that, no matter what, at some point I'm going to get in, or is there a risk that the entire recruitment campaign would get scrapped and they'd just tell me "sorry but that's it"?

Any information would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!
Were you given a start date at any point? Are you an existing civil servant?
Lockthedoor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Were you given a start date at any point? Are you an existing civil servant?
Hi Vexper, thanks for the reply. No, I wasn't a civil servant before being recruited. I wasn't given a start date, only assigned to a department, but then the elections were announced...
Lockthedoor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
bump :/
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lockthedoor)
Hi Vexper, thanks for the reply. No, I wasn't a civil servant before being recruited. I wasn't given a start date, only assigned to a department, but then the elections were announced...
Your circumstances are fairly unusual. I would apply for other jobs tbh as it's no guarantee that the role you applied for is even going to exist in the same capacity anymore. It really sucks - I would avoid Brexit-related roles for this reason - idk if you know but EU exit related services are totally hemorrhaging staff right now in central government, I would avoid it all in the first place tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.97%
No (190)
47.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise