The Student Room Group

gcse eng lit poetry structure of essay?

i know peeze and stuff, but how should i structure my whole essay?
i know it should start with a thesis statement, end in a conclusion, have a paragraph on language and one on form & structure, but what should the other ones be? message, meaning, tone, attitude, or more on language and form & structure??
for a grade 7 and above on aqa
Reply 1
for poetry make sure to rember quotes an analyse them well.compare both poems together and analyse the similarities/dissimilarits in detail.to get a 7 you just really need to add more detail.Also dont forget context ad that is really important in getting you a higher grade.I am also in year 11 and my teacher suggested just to show a hidden side of the poem.somehting that Is not obvious on a first look but when going deeper into the poem you see it .A sentence starter could be "when taking a depler look in the poem ...... we can see....".I also strongly suggest revising key themes and making sure you understand the poems well.answer equations such as why is the writing doing this ? how does this refer to nature ? and make sure to link each paragraph back to the question.peristantly look at why the writer wrote this poem .
I'm in year11 my English lit paper is on the 15 of January I was advised to go very deep into analysing even though there is not much to analyse so I always try and go outside of the box to try and get high grades is that possible
Reply 3
Original post by kingadnaan110
I'm in year11 my English lit paper is on the 15 of January I was advised to go very deep into analysing even though there is not much to analyse so I always try and go outside of the box to try and get high grades is that possible

same im in year 11 on aqa, ill try do this ty
Reply 4
I was with Edexcel, and we were also advised to give a 'thesis statement'. I didn't do it, and scored full marks. Write the essay how you want to. Don't try and look for some fixed, rigid structure to guide you.
Reply 5
I think following one structure throughout is better idea .if u include all these in one paragraph x3-5 ,you will have a better chance of getting a higher grade..I personally followed a structure of -
point :frown:usually linked to question)
evidence :frown:quote)
language:frown:techniques/words) adding connotations of a certain word you picked adds extra Mark's
context :writer+/time period
attitudes:frown:love,power,nature)
structure:frown:sonnet,free verse etc)
self:effect on reader
Reply 6
Original post by Tia.111
I think following one structure throughout is better idea .if u include all these in one paragraph x3-5 ,you will have a better chance of getting a higher grade..I personally followed a structure of -
point :frown:usually linked to question)
evidence :frown:quote)
language:frown:techniques/words) adding connotations of a certain word you picked adds extra Mark's
context :writer+/time period
attitudes:frown:love,power,nature)
structure:frown:sonnet,free verse etc)
self:effect on reader

ok thankyou, this really helps :smile:
Reply 7
your welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending