dolphins123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i just got the results back from my first gcse yr 10 french mocks and i got a 3 in french. i am quite dissapointed and want to move up grades. how should i do this. any routines to follow to boost my grades?? plz help
hartley131
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
use memrise.com or something similar to help build vocabulary.

I also used Michel Thomas and Pimsleur (audio learning programmes), they helped build up knowledge of phrases. Then it's always fun watching french cartoons and kid's songs on youtube and also doing mini conversation exchanges/practises
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For reading, focus on your vocabulary and learning relevant words so you understand the question more better - for this, I made a little box of words from the specification so I built up my vocabulary more and more + an app called drop makes you practice vocabulary each day for 5 mins so you get constant revision for little time.

For speaking, I would practice exam techniques and your pronunciation. Also writing under exam conditions because you don’t want to write too much for it and you just want to answer the questions. For me, for the role play, I wrote few details so I could make up some simple sentences since as long as you answer, you’ll get marks for it. For the photo card, I used PALM, where I wrote about how many people or their genders, their actions, where they are (location), their mood (emotions - happy or sad) in one or two simple sentences.

For listening, do listening examples or do the past papers so you can get used to it. I don’t really have much advice for this because it’s hard to improve your listening. Maybe use Duolingo to help you hear the words.

For writing, learn the structure and grammar for definite and practice some past papers so you can use your teacher for feedback to see what you can to do improve. Maybe learn some high level intestifiers connectives or starters. Good luck for your french tho
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd suggest getting one of the CGP workbooks. Every morning I used to do 1 into-French translation, mark it and take note of the words/ grammar that I didn't know. This means that you're practicing exam technique in addition to learning new words and grammar every day.
As has been mentioned, quizlet and memrise are good for vocab, if you could aim to learn a minimum of 20 words per week, you'd be improving a lot.
If you like music, I'd recommend the lyrics training app. You practice listening skills, get to see the vocab you're learning in context, and it's fun.
If possible, try to keep a diary in French. Every day, write on thing in every tense you know about your day - nothing complicated just something so that you're practicing regularly. E.g. 'I am writing with my new pen, I bought it after school, I will use it tomorrow.' Sorted.
Ensure that you understand how to conjugate your 4 main irregular verbs (avoir, etre, faire, aller) in the present, perfect, imperfect, near future, simple future, and conditional tenses, if possible (needed for the mucher higher levels) or at very least the present, perfect and simple future.
e.g.
Je + aller = Je vais (I go), je suis alle (I went), j'allais (I used to go), j'irai (I will go), je vais aller (I'm going to go), j'irais (I would go)

These are the verbs that you'll be using the most, so it's really worth spending time on them. And the only way to do them is really to choose a verb, choose and tense, and sit and write it out over and over again until you can write the whole thing out without looking. Then try to use it in 5 sentences. A few hours later/ the next day you should try to write out that verb again to make sure that you've learnt it properly. It's not necessarily fun, but it's what you have to do.

You'll also need to practice regular er, ir, re verbs, and from tutoring GCSE students I can tell you that people also often struggle with this, but again, ti's a question of writing them out until you know them.

You can do it, it looks like a lot, but once you start using it all it'll start to stick more. And of course, I don't know what you do and don't know, so I've just included everything. Hope it goes well!
itsalmost3am
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dolphins123)
i just got the results back from my first gcse yr 10 french mocks and i got a 3 in french. i am quite dissapointed and want to move up grades. how should i do this. any routines to follow to boost my grades?? plz help
Speak in french as much as you possibly can, wherever you are, whenever it is - just do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?