State opening of the 30th TSR Model Parliament Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
State Opening of the 30th MHoC Parliament

The 30th term of the Model House of Commons is now officially open. Submissions will be open from tomorrow night.

The government and official opposition will form as follows:

TSR Government

TSR Labour Party: 18 seats
TSR Liberal Democrats: 9 seats
barnetlad: 1 seat

TSR Official Opposition
TSR Conservative and Unionist Party: 17 seats

Other parties
TSR Libertarian Party: 3 seats
SoggyCabbages (Independent): 1 seat
Catusstarbright (Independent): 1 seat
A thread will open soon to allow MPs to take the oath or solemn affirmation.

The Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition (and any other party leader who wishes to do so) are also invited to nominate a frontbench team.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unsurprising but congratulations.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
another zombie government and equally economically illiterate official opposition
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I look forward to leading a new progressive government.
Cabinet will be announced in the coming day or so.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
I look forward to leading a new progressive government.
Cabinet will be announced in the coming day or so.
"new"
"progressive"

and a government that will have lost his majority by Easter, well before it actually does anything
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
"new"
"progressive"

and a government that will have lost his majority by Easter, well before it actually does anything
You won't be forming a government any time soon.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
You won't be forming a government any time soon.
And yet any government I were a part of would do far more for the country than this one will, not least because it will actually do stuff for the country rather than simply exist

And let's not forget the liberals have an illustrious history of coalition fatigue meaning you can only rely on them to form a zombie government for so long
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yippee, a dead government made even worse by the fact that the most dead party in MHoC are the largest party. What an exciting term we have ahead of us.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Yippee, a dead government made even worse by the fact that the most dead party in MHoC are the largest party. What an exciting term we have ahead of us.
I'm not so sure labour are the most dead, the libs give them a run for their money, and in consistent public engagement it's probably neither
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not so sure labour are the most dead, the libs give them a run for their money, and in consistent public engagement it's probably neither
I'd say Labour pip them to the post but as you say the Lib Dems put up a fight in that regard. At least with the Liberals some active names come to mind (Fez, 04 etc) I can't think of any active Labour members (onsite anyway, may be some offsite I don't know since I don't look that often)
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It seems the GE has changed very little, aside from taking some seats away from the Libers.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Let's see what this government can do with a dead party "in charge". Perhaps the Liberal Democrats will simply dominate.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thank Her Majesty for opening this 30th session of Parliament and wish all members of the House a Happy Christmas.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I thank Her Majesty for opening this 30th session of Parliament and wish all members of the House a Happy Christmas.
:ditto:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bring me the bills, Susan!

(Original post by The Mogg)
I'd say Labour pip them to the post but as you say the Lib Dems put up a fight in that regard. At least with the Liberals some active names come to mind (Fez, 04 etc) I can't think of any active Labour members (onsite anyway, may be some offsite I don't know since I don't look that often)
I don't currently consider myself anywhere near active, if that gives a bit of perspective. (offsite 100% doesn't count)
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disappointed but not surprised. Let’s hope some of these Labour accounts that have just been created with 0 posts end up losing their seats in the first review then the adults can take over.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
another zombie government and equally economically illiterate official opposition
Not exactly "another" government when this is a continuation of the previous government exactly.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
Not exactly "another" government when this is a continuation of the previous government exactly.
Lab and Lib are reversed though - the Liberals are much reduced in seats and logically will be a much weaker voice in this new government whereas they provided the PM and were the largest party last term. For that reason I’d say it’s functionally a different govt.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Lab and Lib are reversed though - the Liberals are much reduced in seats and logically will be a much weaker voice in this new government whereas they provided the PM and were the largest party last term. For that reason I’d say it’s functionally a different govt.
that suggests that Labour has suddenly become revitalised. Also, my experience is that MP seats matter little in the balance of power in government.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
that suggests that Labour has suddenly become revitalised. Also, my experience is that MP seats matter little in the balance of power in government.
Not really, this was an RL election remember.

Over the entirety of last term Labour was not really any more active than the start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise