Report 1 month ago
Love to see that the MHoCers are on board with this :rolleyes:
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Disappointed but not surprised. Let’s hope some of these Labour accounts that have just been created with 0 posts end up losing their seats in the first review then the adults can take over.
If you're not old enough to vote (which on TSR refers to having a 3 month old account with 100+ posts) then you shouldn't be allowed to stand for MHoC election.

Putting up paper candidates who are (one assumes) essentially just your RL mates and/or subservient to your whipping just strikes me as a bit dishonest, although that's maybe because I'm from a party that has always valued freedom of thought and very rarely sends out an official position, let alone a party whip.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
If you're not old enough to vote (which on TSR refers to having a 3 month old account with 100+ posts) then you shouldn't be allowed to stand for MHoC election.
A ridiculous suggestion that would make recruitment and retention much, much more difficult.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
A ridiculous suggestion that would make recruitment and retention much, much more difficult.
I'd be willing to scrap the age limit but 100 posts on TSR is a good way of weeding out people who join a party and then leave after not contributing anything to the House.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
Also, my experience is that MP seats matter little in the balance of power in government.
I agree. General activity is different to seat count, and I'd argue that the former is more influential when it comes to voices within the government.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I'd be willing to scrap the age limit but 100 posts on TSR is a good way of weeding out people who join a party and then leave after not contributing anything to the House.
That implies that "weeding out" is a necessary process. I don't see why.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I thank Her Majesty for opening this 30th session of Parliament and wish all members of the House a Happy Christmas.
Has my right honourable friend sent a Christmas card to Her Majesty?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having people with 0 or single-digit straight into the position of MP and indeed cabinet ministers is a joke and a half.

In any case, so I see the government's first act was destroying the oaths thread.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
that suggests that Labour has suddenly become revitalised. Also, my experience is that MP seats matter little in the balance of power in government.
Not really, you don't need to be "revitalised" to win an election, if seats in an election were based on how much activity there was in a party the house would have completely died years ago because the left would die out and there would be no debate, just a series of bill brute forced through with the authors hiding from scrutiny in fridges.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Not really, you don't need to be "revitalised" to win an election, if seats in an election were based on how much activity there was in a party the house would have completely died years ago because the left would die out and there would be no debate, just a series of bill brute forced through with the authors hiding from scrutiny in fridges.
Not my meaning. I meant that unless labour have suddenly rejuvenated the coalition is actually exactly the same. The change in seats matters little.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads