Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im pondering over how many subjects to carry on for A2, just wondering, what percentage of students have 4 or 5 A-levels? i mean top grades (Such as AAAAA-AABB)

Any idea?

Thaaaaaankyou

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I can't give exact percertages but it won't be high. Certainly not AAAAA or AAABB (with five). Three A-levels and one AS is enough for any course, really. If you feel you can cope with a fourth A2 then go ahead, but I advise caution. Doing five is a lot and will not put you at any advantage.

What are the subjects and how has your standard of work been?

ReputationRep:
    River said it all really.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS maths, further maths, chemistry, biology and physics [and general studies and critical thinking] Itz straight A's so far and i didnt feel i had to try that hard. Im just thinking about taking some of the pressure off and dropping a couple in preperation for universtiy entrance exams n stuff. im thinking of oxbridge btw, so i really need to stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Well my friend who got an interview at oxford done 4 A Levels, however his offer was only based on 3, so really he did the fourth for no reason

ReputationRep:
    the offer will only be based on three As, but getting 5 As gets you some kind of bursary with most Unis. the A2 is often much more work than the AS btw, especially in Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Most schools in my area only do 3 A levels and 1 AS really.. And thats what most unis seem to look for. If you can do well in more, then go for it, but if you're going to push yourself, you may as well do amazing in 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Original Legend)
    Well my friend who got an interview at oxford done 4 A Levels, however his offer was only based on 3, so really he did the fourth for no reason
    Even though the offer is only based on 3, actually doing 4 might have been a bonus to his application.

Also, 4 A-levels are great when you get offers which don't specify subjects. I can now use my easy ICT A-level grade as part of my offer instead of having to use Chemistry. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    the offer will only be based on three As, but getting 5 As gets you some kind of bursary with most Unis. the A2 is often much more work than the AS btw, especially in Further Maths.
    But surely they would prefer someone with 5 over someone with 3? I hear of so many people these days with about 100000000 A's, is 4 not becoming more of a standard for people entering into top uni's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luk333)
    im thinking of oxbridge btw, so i really need to stand out.
    Taking five will not necessarily make you stand out. The offer will me made on the three A-levels. Take four if you really think you can cope with the workload. Five is a lot.

There are other ways to stand out (being particularly passionate about the subject). Don't forget that you'll be interviewed and have the chance to impress in a face to face situation.

What are you thinking of applying for?

ReputationRep:
    yh 5 is a bit much, even Oxbridge don't ask for more than three (I think). The thing is it is better to do 3 or 4 with straight As, rather than 5 with a mixture of As and Bs.

I'm guessing by the time your exams come around you'll want the most time possible to prepare thoroughly enough to achieve your potential which it seems is quite high.

It's about depth rather than breadth I'd say

but if you feel you can do 5, do it and see how it goes

good luck

ReputationRep:
    well i'm predicted 4 A grades exc GStuds and i wasn't accepted by Imperial, Bristol or Bath (although that was probably more to do with a **** PS :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Taking five will not necessarily make you stand out. The offer will me made on the three A-levels. Take four if you really think you can cope with the workload. Five is a lot.

There are other ways to stand out (being particularly passionate about the subject). Don't forget that you'll be interviewed and have the chance to impress in a face to face situation.

What are you thinking of applying for?
    Yeh i really want to stand out in every area possilble. I thinking probably maths, so im gna be taking the STEP paper, and also might have to sit the oxford entrance test

ReputationRep:
    Some Unis may expect you to do 4, if say, it is 'normal' ans the average number of A levels to take. Taking 3 then maybe seen as a disadvantage (according to Oxbridge anyway). 3 A levels though is usually completely fine, along with 1 AS. There isn't much point in adding extra pressure if you don't need to

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    Surely you would need to do 5 AS and then 4 at A2 if you wanted to get into Oxbridge for something like engineering and sciences. Or don't you? And anyways how much work do you get for doing 5 AS level academic (hard) subjects? Please don't say a lot, my friend is wondering whether to do 5 and he wants a rough specific.

ReputationRep:
    lol, i wouldnt have said alot, but seriously dont listen to me im weird :0 i didnt do anywork all year, i just revised quite hard about a month out from exams, and it worked! There's no essays or anything so as long as you have the facts crammed in and practice a load of past papers your fine!

ReputationRep:
    BUT, they do say 4hours a week independant study for each subject, weather any1 actually does that, or even close to that i have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    why step and oxford entrance exam? is step for warwick?

ReputationRep:
    STEP is for warwick AND cambridge, both of which im considering.

ReputationRep:
    but presumably if you applied to oxford and got in, you wouldn't need step, therefore decreasing workload, therefore more time to study said subjects

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.