Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First I've read the wiki/guide to clearing. But there's something I just wanna check:

Firstly, I have just finished 5th year, and should be starting 6th year after the holidays. I have not yet applied for UCAS (I blame my incompetant guidance teacher but its my fault too).

If I get the grades, then I'll apply for Medicine (for the term starting 09) through the normal procedures (in which case this post becomes useless).

But in the case where I do not achieve those grades, I plan to fall back on another course. I've email'ed a certain Uni, and they've replied saying: if i get the grades then I will be eligable for a clearing for that course (assuming they have spaces).

So I was wondering, whether it would be too late to apply for a Clearing passport on UCAS after my results have arrived. Since in the guide it says Passports should arrive before August 16th but my results arrive only a week before. Would I have enough time to apply after I receive my results? Or should I apply now (even though there is a chance I won't need it). And even if I apply now, would I even make it in time/would they accept it?
    I also don't have the buzzword for my high school for application on UCAS since the teacher said they'd provide it once the term starts again. So will I not apply on UCAS through my school? Sorry if it seems complicated.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Does the uni in question (the one you emailed) know you're not already in the UCAS system? Because you can't use clearing unless you registered and applied prior to the January deadline.

ReputationRep:
    If you're starting 6th year (I take it you're Scottish?), then why are you applying for Clearing? Or do you mean that you'll go into 6th year if you get the grades for Medicine but go straight into uni otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    Or do you mean that you'll go into 6th year if you get the grades for Medicine but go straight into uni otherwise?
    Yup.

And thanks for the replys,

I've phoned UCAS and sorted its out already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    Does the uni in question (the one you emailed) know you're not already in the UCAS system? Because you can't use clearing unless you registered and applied prior to the January deadline.
    yes you can

(Original post by http://www.ucas.ac.uk/clearing/faqs.html#genenter)
    I haven't applied to UCAS yet this year - can I enter Clearing?

Yes, but only if you complete a UCAS application for 2008 entry up to and including Saturday 20 September 2008. You can do this online using Apply. Once we have processed your application, we will send you a Clearing Passport which will explain what you should do next.

If you had previously applied for a 2007 start date then that application will no longer be valid.

If you have not sent an application to us by 20 September, you should approach the universities and colleges individually to discuss your options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    yes you can
    When did they bring that in? :eek: I'm sure it wasn't like that when I applied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    When did they bring that in? :eek: I'm sure it wasn't like that when I applied
    I'm sure they just love us more :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    I'm sure they just love us more :p:
    Maybe it's cause they think there'll be lots of clearing places available as you guys are bound to fail your exams :ninja:

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.