The Student Room Group

GCSE History- The American West

Hi! I’m currently in year 11 and when I was revising the American West for history, I stumbled across the Indian Appropriations Act (1851) in my class book and the Fort Laramie Treaty (1851) in my revision guide. Just wondering if they are the same or what the difference is between them? Thanks :smile:
Hiya! Hope I can be of some help. My revision guide doesn't cover the Act but I think they both set out the concept of reservations. The Treaty set out specific areas for the Sioux and other tribes, as well as allowed railroad surveyors etc into their territories whilst the Act just gave the money for this all to happen.
Reply 2
Original post by SnowMiku
Hiya! Hope I can be of some help. My revision guide doesn't cover the Act but I think they both set out the concept of reservations. The Treaty set out specific areas for the Sioux and other tribes, as well as allowed railroad surveyors etc into their territories whilst the Act just gave the money for this all to happen.

Okay, thank you :smile:
No problem :biggrin:
Original post by Katie__xox
Hi! I’m currently in year 11 and when I was revising the American West for history, I stumbled across the Indian Appropriations Act (1851) in my class book and the Fort Laramie Treaty (1851) in my revision guide. Just wondering if they are the same or what the difference is between them? Thanks :smile:

They are different and you should get used to googling queries.

The clue is one is called an Act, which means a piece of legislation passed by the US congress/ government.
A treaty is between two parties normally foreign powers i.e the Indians and US government.
Wiki

1851 Act

The 1851 Indian Appropriations Act allocated funds to move Western tribes onto reservations. Reservations were protected and enclosed by the United States government. According to the federal government at that time, reservations were to be created in order to protect the Native Americans from the growing encroachment of whites moving to the West.[2] This act set the precedent for modern-day Native American reservations.

The Fort Laramie Treaty of 1851

was signed on September 17, 1851, between United States treaty commissioners and representatives of the Cheyenne, Sioux, Arapaho, Crow, Assiniboine, Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nations. The treaty was an agreement between nine more or less independent parties. The treaty set forth traditional territorial claims of the tribes as among themselves.[1] The United States acknowledged that all the land covered by the treaty was Indian territory and did not claim any part of it. The boundaries agreed to in the Fort Laramie treaty of 1851 would be used to settle a number of claims cases in the 20th century.[2] The Native Americans guaranteed safe passage for settlers on the Oregon Trail and allowed roads and forts to be built in their territories in return for promises of an annuity in the amount of fifty thousand dollars for fifty years. The treaty should also "make an effective and lasting peace" among the eight tribes, each of them often at odds with a number of the others.[3]
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger

The clue is one is called an Act, which means a piece of legislation passed by the US congress/ government.
A treaty is between two parties normally foreign powers i.e the Indians and US government.
Wiki

1851 Act

The 1851 Indian Appropriations Act allocated funds to move Western tribes onto reservations. Reservations were protected and enclosed by the United States government. According to the federal government at that time, reservations were to be created in order to protect the Native Americans from the growing encroachment of whites moving to the West.[2] This act set the precedent for modern-day Native American reservations.

was signed on September 17, 1851, between United States treaty commissioners and representatives of the Cheyenne, Sioux, Arapaho, Crow, Assiniboine, Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nations. The treaty was an agreement between nine more or less independent parties. The treaty set forth traditional territorial claims of the tribes as among themselves.[1] The United States acknowledged that all the land covered by the treaty was Indian territory and did not claim any part of it. The boundaries agreed to in the Fort Laramie treaty of 1851 would be used to settle a number of claims cases in the 20th century.[2] The Native Americans guaranteed safe passage for settlers on the Oregon Trail and allowed roads and forts to be built in their territories in return for promises of an annuity in the amount of fifty thousand dollars for fifty years. The treaty should also "make an effective and lasting peace" among the eight tribes, each of them often at odds with a number of the others.[3]

Okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger

Wiki

1851 Act

Hi, I did google it but couldn’t seem to find anything and thanks :smile:

have u done the 2019 paper 2? i need to know the questions before monday. thanks i need american west and elizabeth.

have u done the 2019 paper 2? i need to know the questions before monday. thanks i need american west and elizabeth.
Original post by Kamran_hy_

Hi. I haven't done so, no. Perhaps try making a new thread with your query so people will see it better?
Reply 10

Hi, unfortunately no I haven’t because my teacher made his own paper for our mock but good luck anyway :smile:
Hi, unfortunately no I haven’t because my teacher made his own paper for our mock but good luck anyway :smile:

Np thanks
Hi. I haven't done so, no. Perhaps try making a new thread with your query so people will see it better?

Im New to this lol so i dont know so could u do it for me? If u dont dont worry. Thanks anyway
Im New to this lol so i dont know so could u do it for me? If u dont dont worry. Thanks anyway

All you have to do is go to the history study help subforum (aka where you can see the threads, like this one, then click "start new discussion". It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. :biggrin:
All you have to do is go to the history study help subforum (aka where you can see the threads, like this one, then click "start new discussion". It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. :biggrin:

Thanks. I got mocks tomorrow. Ill do it if i ever need it😁

Quick Reply