CGP Student books vs Edexcel textbook?

Watch
FantasyAngel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hello, i'm hoping to know what books are best to purchase for GCSES?
i do,
edexcel: higher maths, triple science, History,German
AQA: English literature/language, Religious studies
OCR: Computer science

For Triple science and Maths, i'm thinking of purchasing the CGP student book. it's simple to understand but overall teaches the content, rather that the revision guides that assume you have previous knowledge because it's meant to be an overview. however, i've also heard that the CGP student books may not have EVERYTHING like the official pearson/edexcel textbook. i have used the Edexcel textbook for science at school, it makes hardly any sense at all/. Is it better to just get the CGP student book?

for my other subjects, what would you all suggest? i've heard of York notes and own a copy of the book for a Christmas carol, it is quite helpful. but so is the CGP power and conflict. i own printed copies of them because i go to a tution/extra school that had copies (although, i believe they are just copies made by the establishment, and not the actual books). In English, so far we have studied a christmas carol, and part of the poetry and conflict anthology. in the new term, we will study an inspector calls.

i'd really appreciate any advice on what books and materials are best to help me get the top grades!

for now, i just want to buy books for English, maths, science, History because my other subjects have the revision guide on the school shared drive and the school gave me the German textbook
Last edited by FantasyAngel; 3 months ago
popsy354
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For history are you doing Pearson Edexcel IGCSE? Because I am and the textbooks are really good. Also there isn’t much stuff online because the 9-1 exams are quite recent. There are revision guides from the same board but I haven’t tried them because the textbook is sufficient- you might wanna check them out
FantasyAngel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by popsy354)
For history are you doing Pearson Edexcel IGCSE? Because I am and the textbooks are really good. Also there isn’t much stuff online because the 9-1 exams are quite recent. There are revision guides from the same board but I haven’t tried them because the textbook is sufficient- you might wanna check them out
i'm doing Edexcel GCSE History. thank you anyways
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I loved the edexcel workbooks... they're the main thing I used for my science GCSEs 2 years ago.
casabonita
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
cgp books for everything but history.
also found them kinda useless for english/english lit, and german now that i think about it.
Qadeer1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Did my GCSE's this year and I have to say CGP for everything. At GCSE level it has enough information, and most of the time the textbook is too wordy, impractical and has alot of unnecessary information which you don't need to learn and is merely there to fill pages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads