The Student Room Group

AITA for yelling at my sister for calling my friend the n-word?

I'm a 18-year-old guy. My friend is 19 and my sister is 14. I'm white and my friend is black.

So I invited my friend over to play video games. But we couldn't play because my sister was playing GTA V on the PS4 and we don't have other gaming consoles. My friend and I ended up having to play cards instead. About two hours later, I asked my sister if she could let us play and she replied "Fine, but let me finish the race." But before I could reply, my friend said: "Oh, cut it out. You don't need to finish the f*ucking race. You f*ucking suck at this game anyway. There's a reason girls don't play video games." My sister got really mad. She got to her feet and screamed: "Who cares about your opinion? Who cares about what you think? You're just a f*cking n***er that can't do anything else than insulting people. Besides of being a n***er, you're also a sexist!" My friend proceeded to call her a "ugly blonde and blue-eyed bit**." My sister then felt insulted and kicked him in the balls. Afterwards, my friend yelled: "So you're fighting dirty? Fine, I'm not playing with you anymore." He then turned around and told me: "I really wonder how I became friends with you. I always thought you were nice, but I didn't know you came from a racist family. Have fun with your stupid sister." He then walked out the door and slammed it.

After he left, I began to yell at my sister for what she said and told her that she should be careful next time because it could get her in trouble. Well, she started crying and saying that I'm a bad brother for not standing up for her. She then told me she hates me. That was the last thing she said to me.

So am I the *******?
Bad luck.

Your sister is an aggressive, vicious and foul mouthed teenage delinquent.
Your friend is a foul mouthed immature jerk old enough to know better.
It seems like you are wasting your time with each of them, they are so badly behaved that they almost deserve each other.
Hopefully you didn't waste too much money buying their Christmas gifts.

You were right to give your sister a stern warning about her behaviour.
Making vile comments like that have earned other teenagers criminal records and yoi/prison sentences for hate crime.
Make sure that she knows this.
Your friend isnt an angel : ""Oh, cut it out. You don't need to finish the f*ucking race. You f*ucking suck at this game anyway. There's a reason girls don't play video games" - which as your sister pointed out is incredibly rude/sexist.

I would advise that you have a sit down chat with your sister about the seriousness of her language, and how you understand how she felt too.

The problem lies with both of them
He's sexist
She's racist
They're both as bad as eachother. I don't think you're in the wrong for yelling at her, but your friend is just as bad.
Your friend sexist, your sister's racist. Not much you can do about your friend but you seriously need to have a chat with your sister about where she learnt that from. Honestly if my mates family member said that to me I'd have serious second thoughts about who I'm associating myself with so I understand his reaction. Being black and female I personally think your sister went a little too far since that word has serious history behind whereas saying "this is why girls shouldn't play video games" isn't as bad, however I'd also be angry if someone spoke to me like that in my own house but she really needs to have a deep talk about where she learnt that behaviour because that behaviour isn't something that you pick up from watching TV and also if your younger sister is dishing out racial slurs it would really warp people's views about what goes on in your family for her to act like that.
Original post by Anonymous
Your friend sexist, your sister's racist. Not much you can do about your friend but you seriously need to have a chat with your sister about where she learnt that from. Honestly if my mates family member said that to me I'd have serious second thoughts about who I'm associating myself with so I understand his reaction. Being black and female I personally think your sister went a little too far since that word has serious history behind whereas saying "this is why girls shouldn't play video games" isn't as bad, however I'd also be angry if someone spoke to me like that in my own house but she really needs to have a deep talk about where she learnt that behaviour because that behaviour isn't something that you pick up from watching TV and also if your younger sister is dishing out racial slurs it would really warp people's views about what goes on in your family for her to act like that.

As for your friend, he just kinda seems like a prick so I wouldn't worry about him, especially if he talks like that to a 14 year old at his age.
I'm a 18-year-old guy. My friend is 19 and my sister is 14. I'm white and my friend is black.

So I invited my friend over to play video games. But we couldn't play because my sister was playing GTA V on the PS4 and we don't have other gaming consoles. My friend and I ended up having to play cards instead. About two hours later, I asked my sister if she could let us play and she replied "Fine, but let me finish the race." But before I could reply, my friend said: "Oh, cut it out. You don't need to finish the f*ucking race. You f*ucking suck at this game anyway. There's a reason girls don't play video games." My sister got really mad. She got to her feet and screamed: "Who cares about your opinion? Who cares about what you think? You're just a f*cking n***er that can't do anything else than insulting people. Besides of being a n***er, you're also a sexist!" My friend proceeded to call her a "ugly blonde and blue-eyed bit**." My sister then felt insulted and kicked him in the balls. Afterwards, my friend yelled: "So you're fighting dirty? Fine, I'm not playing with you anymore." He then turned around and told me: "I really wonder how I became friends with you. I always thought you were nice, but I didn't know you came from a racist family. Have fun with your stupid sister." He then walked out the door and slammed it.

After he left, I began to yell at my sister for what she said and told her that she should be careful next time because it could get her in trouble. Well, she started crying and saying that I'm a bad brother for not standing up for her. She then told me she hates me. That was the last thing she said to me.

So am I the *******?

Well, you're all wrong.

Your friend is wrong for being sexist (saying girls don't play video games) and blaming you for what your sister did (he was mad at you even though you didn't hurt or insult him).

You sister is wrong for saying that word and being violent. But I understand why she was angry.

You are wrong for not seperating them quickly enough. But you were right to tell your sister to not use that word because it could cause her real trouble one day. You shouldn't have yelled at her, however. You should have talked to her in a calm voice because when you yell at a person, the person will most likely only hear you yelling and not your words.

Neither sexism or racism should be tolerated. Both are wrong.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by MidgetFever
He's sexist
She's racist
They're both as bad as eachother. I don't think you're in the wrong for yelling at her, but your friend is just as bad.

You're wrong. Society considers the severity something like this:

1.Racism
2.Homophobia/transphobia
3.Misogyny/misanthropy
4.Sexism

5. Anything else like gingerism/fatism etc etc

The first two could potentially get you arrested [currently though I don't think being homophobic or transphobic online is an arrestable offence]

The other 3 are not severe enough to get you arrested and are considered less insulting.

She technically commited a crime by being racist and also kicking him in the balls. He committed no crimes.
Original post by ANM775
You're wrong. Society considers the severity something like this:

1.Racism
2.Homophobia/transphobia
3.Misogyny/misanthropy
4.Sexism

5. Anything else like gingerism/fatism etc etc

The first two could potentially get you arrested [currently though I don't think being homophobic or transphobic online is an arrestable offence]

The other 3 are not severe enough to get you arrested and are considered less insulting.

She technically commited a crime by being racist and also kicking him in the balls. He committed no crimes.

I wasn't talking about technicalities if that wasn't obvious, they're both morally wrong. Sexism shouldn't just be excused either. One bout of hate speech doesn't just cancel out another.
Reply 9
Original post by MidgetFever
He's sexist
She's racist

I know that. But the thing is I lost a friend because of what my sister said. And my sister is still crying. I feel really bad and don't know what to do. Do you have any advice?
I know that. But the thing is I lost a friend because of what my sister said. And my sister is still crying. I feel really bad and don't know what to do. Do you have any advice?

Friends will come and go, so focus on making your sister feel better first because you're gonna have to live with her. Then worry about your friend.

Also this reply is so late.
He's 19. That's a ridiculous way for a 19-year-old to behave, especially towards a 14-year-old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending