Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Statement from the shadow foreign secretary and shadow equalities minister

Mr Speaker,

Owing to my dual roles as shadow Secretary of State for foreign affairs and shadow equalities minister, I feel it is appropriate to comment on the horrific anti-Semitic incidents that have occurred throughout the world in recent days.

Firstly, on our own soil, the spread of anti-Semitic graffiti propagating conspiracy theories and inciting anti-Semitic violence throughout the city of London on the holy festival of Hanukkah is utterly reprehensible.

But of course this pales in comparison to the incident that has occurred in New York in the United States, where a rabbi has been stabbed by a racist attacker along with various other Jewish people being assaulted and stabbed during the festival of Hanukkah.

Here on my side of the House, my Conservative colleagues and I give our deepest sympathies to the Jewish community, we acknowledge that they are the most persecuted and attacked minority on this planet, and we pledge that anti-semitism will NEVER be tolerated under our watch, the lesson of the holocaust and the 20th century more broadly can never be forgotten.

Will my colleagues on the government benches, the foreign secretary BosslyGaming and the equalities minister shadowdweller extend their condolences to the Jewish community in Britain and more broadly internationally? And will they join me in condemning these attacks and pledging that anti-Semitism will never be tolerated by any political party in this House of ours?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)

Mr Speaker,

Owing to my dual roles as shadow Secretary of State for foreign affairs and shadow equalities minister, I feel it is appropriate to comment on the horrific anti-Semitic incidents that have occurred throughout the world in recent days.

Firstly, on our own soil, the spread of anti-Semitic graffiti propagating conspiracy theories and inciting anti-Semitic violence throughout the city of London on the holy festival of Hanukkah is utterly reprehensible.

But of course this pales in comparison to the incident that has occurred in New York in the United States, where a rabbi has been stabbed by a racist attacker along with various other Jewish people being assaulted and stabbed during the festival of Hanukkah.

Here on my side of the House, my Conservative colleagues and I give our deepest sympathies to the Jewish community, we acknowledge that they are the most persecuted and attacked minority on this planet, and we pledge that anti-semitism will NEVER be tolerated under our watch, the lesson of the holocaust and the 20th century more broadly can never be forgotten.

Will my colleagues on the government benches, the foreign secretary BosslyGaming and the equalities minister shadowdweller extend their condolences to the Jewish community in Britain and more broadly internationally? And will they join me in condemning these attacks and pledging that anti-Semitism will never be tolerated by any political party in this House of ours?
I appreciate that the statement made by the Shadow Foreign Secretary is not directed at me for a response. However, as I may have indicated in previous parliaments, I have a personal interest in this as five family members were killed in Nazi death camps between August 1942 and January 1945. January 21st 2020 will mark the 75th anniversary of one of them being moved from Auschwitz to Buchenwald where he subsequently died, aged 20.

I condemn the attack in New York and the anti-semitic graffiti in North London and agree that anti-Semitism is never acceptable and must not be tolerated by anyone.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Mr Speaker,

As was made clear last term, statements from shadow secretaries of state do not belong in the government questions thread: they are better placed in official opposition or party questions threads, for future reference.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Diversity of thought would be a range of philosophical, political and economic opinions rather than having one such strain of thought completely dominant in the academic discourse and amongst the staff and faculties of universities.
In which case, I believe diversity of thought to be important, but also that the manner in which those thoughts is also important. I don't believe that only one vein of thought should be allowed, as challenging strains of thoughts helps us to grow as a society, but I do believe that these differences in thought can and should be expressed in a non-offensive manner were possible.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Mr Speaker,

I second barnetlad's thoughts on this:
(Original post by barnetlad)
I condemn the attack in New York and the anti-semitic graffiti in North London and agree that anti-Semitism is never acceptable and must not be tolerated by anyone.
Attacks on the Jewish community, and indeed on any other religion, should never be tolerated, and we should all be extending our sympathies to those affected.
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Mr Speaker,

I echo the sentiments of my colleagues and offer the hand of Britain is support of the Jewish community where possible. Attacks on their community are absolutely intolerable.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With Iranian hostility during 2019 culminating in recent events, does the government having failed to act last term intend to continue to allow Nadin Zihari Radcliffe to continue rotting in an Iranian jail or will they finally adopt the principal that allowing British citizens to be held in facsist prisons is offensive and send in a special forces team to extract her.
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
With Iranian hostility during 2019 culminating in recent events, does the government having failed to act last term intend to continue to allow Nadin Zihari Radcliffe to continue rotting in an Iranian jail or will they finally adopt the principal that allowing British citizens to be held in facsist prisons is offensive and send in a special forces team to extract her.
This whole post is all over the place. Ms Ratcliffe has nothing to do with the recent hostilities. Iran isn't fascist and a special forces team team isn't anywhere near viable.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
shadowdweller

To ask the minister if she agrees with me that Caroline Flack’s attack on her boyfriend was a shocking incident of domestic violence and that Miss Flack should be brought to justice for this act?

Additionally, will the minister agree with me that domestic violence against men more broadly is under acknowledged, with the much championed Istanbul convention against domestic violence excluding domestic violence against men and alienating male victims, by focusing exclusively on domestic violence against women?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
This whole post is all over the place. Ms Ratcliffe has nothing to do with the recent hostilities. Iran isn't fascist and a special forces team team isn't anywhere near viable.
Her case is relevant as it's a part of our strained relationship with Iran.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
JMR2020. What will happen to our troops in Iraq and the surrounding area after everything that's happened in the past several days?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
BosslyGaming Does the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have an updated stance on the legitimate authority in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, following the forced removal of President Juan Guiadó as president of its National Assembly, replaced by Dip. Luis Parra, who declared himself, despite the lack of a quorum, its new head by blocking President Guiadó and his supporters?
Thomp0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any form of anti-Semitism, racism, Islamophobia or any other hatred or discrimination should be condemned as harshly as possible. The government should be the first to condemn these disgusting, deplorable acts and set an example to the people that our government believes in zero tolerance of such behaviour.
I express my deepest condolences to all those who have been affected in the events of the recent days, and hold a desolate thought for the families of the victims of the attack in New York. An attack which was nothing short of terrorism.
Our government must be committed to treating everyone with equity, and must seek the harshest of punishment to those who commit these acts of hatred towards our fellow humans.
We are all born with a brain and a heart, and it should be used for good.

Mr Speaker,

shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
shadowdweller

To ask the minister if she agrees with me that Caroline Flack’s attack on her boyfriend was a shocking incident of domestic violence and that Miss Flack should be brought to justice for this act?

Additionally, will the minister agree with me that domestic violence against men more broadly is under acknowledged, with the much championed Istanbul convention against domestic violence excluding domestic violence against men and alienating male victims, by focusing exclusively on domestic violence against women?
Domestic violence by any individual, and against any gender, is abhorrent and shocking act, and should be dealt with in an appropriate manner by the justice system.

Domestic violence against men certainly needs to be more acknowledged and more recognised. I will admit that I am not aware of the Istanbul convention you've talked about, but in general I don't necessarily see gender specific support to be an inherently negative thing, depending on the rationale behind this. That's not to say that all genders shouldn't be equally supported, just that that support can come from different places.

I can't look into the Istanbul convention right now, but if you want me to comment further on that specifically I can take a look into it this evening and get back to you.
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Below is an update from the Government on the situation in Iran, following the latest strike. This has been posted here as to avoid submitting another ministerial statement regarding the same issue. Tagging Baron of Sealand and Connor27, in your respective roles, so that you are aware of this update.

Iranian Situation UpdateThe TSR Government recognises the actions of Iran in the early hours of the morning and continues to seek a peaceful solution to the current tensions between Iran and the USA.

The Government has noted the words of the Iranian ambassador to the UK, who says that Iran does not seek an escalation of violence.1 The Government will continue with current travel advice to Iraq, Iran and other countries in the region and shall continue to monitor the situation closes.

UK Government officials on the ground are working hard to ensure the safety of any British nationals who may be at risk. To the best of our knowledge there have been no British casualties to date.

If the United States requests UK support in any military action then we will consider their requests, and will comply if we feel there is a credible and immediate threat to the United Kingdom. However, if no credible threat to the UK is clear to us then we do not see the need to put the lives of British nationals at risk. At present we continue to pursue our ambitions for peace in the Middle East, including between Iran and the USA, and we encourage all sides to do the same.

1. https://mobile.twitter.com/baeidinej...812336641?s=20
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Mr Speaker,

Wait a minute why is Connor shadow equalities minister? He dislikes black people and most women lol.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Wait a minute why is Connor shadow equalities minister? He dislikes black people and most women lol.
Good question actually, wtf
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He was shadow equalities last term as well, this is a question for the Tory thread, though they'll be forgiven for wondering what took you so long.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A slanderous allegation - I view everyone as Individuals and try not to judge based on any arbitrary characteristic.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A slanderous allegation - I view everyone as Individuals and try not to judge based on any arbitrary characteristic.
LMAO
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed