ta9967
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I want to pursue a career in investment banking and I have applied to the following unis:
-LSE: Accounting and Finance
-Cass: Investment and Financial Risk Management
-Bristol: Finance
-Durham: Finance
-Reading: Finance and investment banking

I have received offers from all of the unis apart from LSE, I was wondering which Uni would give me the best chance in landing a job in Investment banking apart from LSE.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ta9967)
Hi I want to pursue a career in investment banking and I have applied to the following unis:

I have received offers from all of the unis apart from LSE, I was wondering which Uni would give me the best chance in landing a job in Investment banking apart from LSE.
Hey. Congratulations on receiving offers from all the unis you've applied to except LSE, the later is quite hard to get into because of its capacity - it's a small uni. Anyways, I can't really answer your question but it may help to look at how many people get into a career after about 6 months or so from graduating uni - that may be a useful indicator in determining which uni and respective finance and investment banking course is better etc. Hope this helps.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I would priorities Durham & Bristol, and LSE as no 1 (if you get it) congrats. It doesnt matter which one both are well rated as semi-targets for IB, LSE is a target uni.

I would also look to stack CV, so once at uni: insight days, spring weeks, internships get on the bandwagon from day 0!
Join a couple societies and take up leadership positions ie committee roles such as president, VP, treasurer, secretary. Also join the economics society or finance society (easy to do, turn up every now and then and just shows interest on your CV).

What type of IB are you interested in; advisory, wealth management, buy/sell, M&A/IPOs, trading?
Last edited by mnot; 1 year ago
ta9967
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I would priorities Durham & Bristol, and LSE as no 1 (if you get it) congrats. It doesnt matter which one both are well rated as semi-targets for IB, LSE is a target uni.

I would also look to stack CV, so once at uni: insight days, spring weeks, internships get on the bandwagon from day 0!
Join a couple societies and take up leadership positions ie committee roles such as president, VP, treasurer, secretary. Also join the economics society or finance society (easy to do, turn up every now and then and just shows interest on your CV).

What type of IB are you interested in; advisory, wealth management, buy/sell, M&A/IPOs, trading?
trading and advisory both intrigue me.

Out of curiosity is there any reason why you chose Bristol and Durham over Cass?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
trading and advisory both intrigue me.

Out of curiosity is there any reason why you chose Bristol and Durham over Cass?
They are more well respected, its just a better name on the CV.

Cass would be a better comparable for an MBA but not for undergrad imo (imo). Cass is very well located in London giving very easy access to the firms to turn up in spring or insight days. But reputation wise just not the same tier.

The reality is YOU are the biggest factor not any given uni, but in something so competitive as grad jobs in IB what uni you have in the CV matters, and given none of these are hard target unis I would still recommend the one with the best reputation.

This is the top 10 unis for financial services jobs, ranked ie LSE most common, Bath least by compiling a LinkedIn search, not perfect but it gives you an idea of the higher profile unis Be aware LSE and UCL are above Oxbridge, but this is likely down to biases for example, LSE applicants generally speaking are more driven towards finance careers, wheras Oxbridge are probably also interested in consulting, startups, entrepreneurial roles...

London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
University College London (UCL)
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
University of Warwick
Durham University
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of Bristol
ta9967
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
They are more well respected, its just a better name on the CV.

Cass would be a better comparable for an MBA but not for undergrad imo (imo). Cass is very well located in London giving very easy access to the firms to turn up in spring or insight days. But reputation wise just not the same tier.

The reality is YOU are the biggest factor not any given uni, but in something so competitive as grad jobs in IB what uni you have in the CV matters, and given none of these are hard target unis I would still recommend the one with the best reputation.

This is the top 10 unis for financial services jobs, ranked ie LSE most common, Bath least by compiling a LinkedIn search, not perfect but it gives you an idea of the higher profile unis Be aware LSE and UCL are above Oxbridge, but this is likely down to biases for example, LSE applicants generally speaking are more driven towards finance careers, wheras Oxbridge are probably also interested in consulting, startups, entrepreneurial roles...

London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
University College London (UCL)
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
University of Warwick
Durham University
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of Bristol
ooh alright, thank you soo much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (70)
30.3%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (28)
12.12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (20)
8.66%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.63%
I think it's an unfair expectation (62)
26.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise