• Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/cha...-gdp-1950-2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._1948-2014.png

underfunded... well its percentage of funding relative to GDP is higher than its been for 87% of the existence of the NHS.
In absolute terms, funding is at an all time high. Here this argument a lot but whilst it would be lovely if the government provided every person a butler & personal doctor, there are reasonable spending restrictions on public finances.
You can’t say the NHS isn’t being underfunded when patients are waiting in corridors to be seen, ambulances queuing outside hospitals to take in patients, ambulance waiting times dangerously long, Nurse and doctor shortages, GP appointments with high waiting times. It would be great if everyone was given a personal doctor, but I’d say it’s at least reasonable to see a doctor/nurse within 4 hours at A&E and not having to wait an hour or longer for an emergency ambulance!
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They wont, end of
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by epicnm)
You can’t say the NHS isn’t being underfunded when patients are waiting in corridors to be seen, ambulances queuing outside hospitals to take in patients, ambulance waiting times dangerously long, Nurse and doctor shortages, GP appointments with high waiting times. It would be great if everyone was given a personal doctor, but I’d say it’s at least reasonable to see a doctor/nurse within 4 hours at A&E and not having to wait an hour or longer for an emergency ambulance!
This is also because the NHS does too much and does not prioritise enough. Money that should be spent on training more GP’s is being spent on hymen replacements and transgender surgeries. Rather than throwing money at it we need a complete review of all NHS services to identify any which should be performed by the private sector and this no longer receive NHS funding, That allows money to be better targeted.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can say it isnt underfunded. It is mis-managed & the system is also abused. The public sector organisation allow the money to get pissed down the drain, the systems encourage every department to spend every penny they get, then ask for more, and it actually makes sense for them to do so, management has been poor imo in ensuring long term decision making and dont receive the same level of responsibility that shareholders in the private sector would insist upon. The whole public sector needs to be restructured but this wont happen as its not in the interests of anyone who works their.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This is also because the NHS does too much and does not prioritise enough. Money that should be spent on training more GP’s is being spent on hymen replacements and transgender surgeries. Rather than throwing money at it we need a complete review of all NHS services to identify any which should be performed by the private sector and this no longer receive NHS funding, That allows money to be better targeted.
We are not going to agree on much but you certainly have a point here. The wastage in the NHS is huge, we need to buy out the PFI contracts too so the NHS can be free of extortionate fees for silly things like changing a light bulb
htmr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
what do trans people have to do with anything here? once again, who are you to decide what’s valid use of the nhs and what’s not? i don’t see how you can think the problem is people using the nhs as opposed to those behind it?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by htmr)
what do trans people have to do with anything here? once again, who are you to decide what’s valid use of the nhs and what’s not? i don’t see how you can think the problem is people using the nhs as opposed to those behind it?
That logic is a recipe for an ever greater financial appetite. You can’t reasonably believe that the NHS budget should take up an ever larger proportion of tax revenues.
Red Rose Leftist
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I’m perfectly ok, just thought I’d wake you up from your delusional view of the world with some blunt, honest truths.
Surrrreee. Keep telling yourself that. It does sound like you live in bubble that paints one side as right all the time.
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No way will the NHS get privatised. People would fight against this and revolt. It’ll be a huge crisis in the U.K. the next problem after ‘BREXIT’
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by htmr)
The point was when we cant fix someone's eyes sight with a simple pair of glasses, we should not be cutting some perfectly healthy persons penis off!
htmr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
The point was when we cant fix someone's eyes sight with a simple pair of glasses, we should not be cutting some perfectly healthy persons penis off!
but gender dysphoria is equally as valid as and likely more often than not contributes to things such as depression, anxiety etc. genuine question, do you disagree with mental health services being on the nhs too?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by htmr)
but gender dysphoria is equally as valid as and likely more often than not contributes to things such as depression, anxiety etc. genuine question, do you disagree with mental health services being on the nhs too?
I have a family member who works in the NHS, opposite the building where she works is an entire block that's empty. It used to be the mental health block, austerity closed it down. As a result homelessness, druguse etc has spiraled. Yes I do think mental health should be available on the NHS, largely it's been cut, well certainly around me.

Sorry I agree the nhs should provide everything but to say we dont need to reform it is ridiculous, when we cant provide operations, eye sight aid but can provide breast enlargement, sex swaps and pay 50 quid for a light bulb change to some fat cat private business, then there is somthing fundamentally wrong with the management of the NHS. Surely you can see this?
Harrybeld
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
They wouldn't care. They won Brexit and kept Corbyn out. That's all that matters.
Dismantle the NHS, establish a quasi-dictatorship, break up the UK, abolish the state pension and other benefits? "Not interested. We won!"
People like you are so closed minded.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I feel IAF may well pop up to troll this thread now you have mentioned transgenderism. Apparently I'm a Daily Mail reading fascist gammon. Actually, I'm a Hesari*-reading libertarian karjalanpirakka, but that seems to have passed her by.

* Helsingin Sanomat - Finnish broadsheet newspaper and quite centrist.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
So people who can't afford healthcare, they just die do they?
I don't know how you imagine countries with privatised healthcare, but it's not exactly a graveyard. Privatising healthcare in this country is exactly what we need as it will localize our towns and cities which, by the way, are insanely disconnected and alienated. If someone needs help funding a surgery, then people will come together and support. People will rely on each other more, rather than the government, which I see as a positive.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Denying cancer treatment to children living in poverty
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Red Rose Leftist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
I don't know how you imagine countries with privatised healthcare, but it's not exactly a graveyard. Privatising healthcare in this country is exactly what we need as it will localize our towns and cities which, by the way, are insanely disconnected and alienated. If someone needs help funding a surgery, then people will come together and support. People will rely on each other more, rather than the government, which I see as a positive.
So crowdfunding should be the new future? Are you actually serious?
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Professional G)
So crowdfunding should be the new future? Are you actually serious?
What's wrong with it? Healthcare will be affordable, and only the select few who need help affording will get it through crowdfunding, volunteers, religious institutions... You slowly start to build a social fabric that is indepedent from the government. But you're happy with the current publicly-funded healthcare in this country, are you actually serious?
Red Rose Leftist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's wrong with it? Healthcare will be affordable, and only the select few who need help affording will get it through crowdfunding, volunteers, religious institutions... You slowly start to build a social fabric that is indepedent from the government. But you're happy with the current publicly-funded healthcare in this country, are you actually serious?
The current publicity funded healthcare may be not be perfect but it’s far far better than what you are proposing. Y’know what, your version is probably one of the worst models ever. It’s like America’s models on steroids. It’s everyone for themselves and if they’re poor or can’t afford healthcare, let them die. Your model will end up backfiring way more than anything.
Last edited by Red Rose Leftist; 4 weeks ago
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you mean like people who support the poor and needy do today? Its a nice idea but as a country we are not as charitable as say the US. And in the US people are charitable because they have to be. But regardless, some of the poorest people in the world live in the US. Quite an incitement for the world's richest country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.97%
No (190)
47.03%

Watched Threads