studioghibli2004
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
If you've taken English language or literature at a-level, please could you respond with what you believe are the benefits of taking the course??
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
1. It improves your literacy skills and keeps them fresh. 2. It's seen as a challenging subject compared to other so will make you look smarter to employers. 3. A vital course for anyone who wants to write for a living or do a job which requires a lot of creative writing skills.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
currently doing english lit a level.
it's hard.
i guess the benefits from taking the subject is that you should be able to write pretty damn good essays by the end if you put the effort in, and be able to argue your points well. you develop your analytical skills further too i guess :dontknow:
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
English literature's benefits:

1. It hones your ability to write essays in an academic style. The NEA prepares you for the type of work that you would expect at university.

2. You can think deeper and extract much richer interpretations from literary critics that can be combined with your interpretations. You get very comfortable with the idea of reading between thr lines, and you will be one of the few who may be able to truly analyse a text for what it is. Every word has an identity. It is rare that they are wasted.

3. It's a traditional A Level, respected by all universities and useful for most courses. This is not bad at all for PPE or law. In fact, I've seen students who've done medicine take English lit. at A Level.

English language's benefits:

1. You get an introduction to English grammar. This can help you immensely when learning other foreign languages.

2. You get a course that discusses the role language plays in our lives socially and psychologically. You are able to see the true power of language.

3. You have to write creatively in some parts of the assessment. Being able to produce original pieces of writing that are mostly deemed to be of high quality is a valuable skill if you wish to go into something like journalism.
Last edited by Tolgash; 11 months ago
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hones not homes.

(Original post by Tolgarda)
English literature's benefits:

1. It homes your ability to write essays in an academic style. The NEA prepares you for the type of work that you would expect at university.

2. You can think deeper and extract much richer interpretations from literary critics that can be combined with your interpretations. You get very comfortable with the idea of reading between thr lines, and you will be one of the few who may be able to truly analyse a text for what it is. Every word has an identity. It is rare that they are wasted.

3. It's a traditional A Level, respected by all universities and useful for most courses. This is not bad at all for PPE or law. In fact, I've seen students who've done medicine take English lit. at A Level.

English language's benefits:

1. You get an introduction to English grammar. This can help you immensely when learning other foreign languages.

2. You get a course that discusses the role language plays in our lives socially and psychologically. You are able to see the true power of language.

3. You have to write creatively in some parts of the assessment. Being able to produce original pieces of writing that are mostly deemed to be of high quality is a valuable skill if you wish to go into something like journalism.
Hones not homes.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
hones not homes.

Hones not homes.
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I put 'hones' originally. 'M' and 'n' are quite close to each other on the keyboard. Bad typo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.6%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (136)
28.81%

Watched Threads