The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Smoobla
I would try and steal a cooker... :p:

Don't you reckon you'd need an accomplice for that?

I'm good at creating a distraction :p:
Reply 41
thats funny
Don't you reckon you'd need an accomplice for that?

I'm good at creating a distraction :p:

We live nearby to one another, this plan could come into fruition!
Smoobla
I'm all for stealing from big business.

It adds up. I work in a big department store, it's a bit more expensive than Penneys. My store alone loses €10M a year from shoplifting, never mind the 100 others outlets it has here. It affects everything, obviously it eats in profit, but it also affects budgets for things such as..staff wages. You might think you're justified in stealing £6 boots but that's what the 7 other people who did the same think. It's just as bad as stealing from an independent store, because they don't get hit near as bad.

If you can afford it, what's your motivation? The thrills?
i thought u meant nickleodeon :sad:
Reply 44
Smoobla
We live nearby to one another, this plan could come into fruition!

We do?

Hmm - We'll need a van though.
Reply 45
StarsAreFixed
It adds up. I work in a big department store, it's a bit more expensive than Penneys. My store alone loses €10M a year from shoplifting, never mind the 100 others outlets it has here. It affects everything, obviously it eats in profit, but it also affects budgets for things such as..staff wages. You might think you're justified in stealing £6 boots but that's what the 7 other people who did the same think. It's just as bad as stealing from an independent store, because they don't get hit near as bad.

If the big businesses were that bad off and suffer so badly they'd hire better security.

I don't condone theft, but if you don't protect your stuff from the would be burglars, you're partly to blame if you let it happen. Some people nick, and if they get away with it, well fair play to them
They can't catch everyone, it's impossible. Some are obviously going to slip through the net, particularly those who steal from the grocery section, people who steal clothes are caught more easily.
Reply 47
StarsAreFixed

Sometimes it's quicker to steal than to queue! I enjoy sticking it to the man. I don't consider myself a common shoplifter, anyway!
Reply 48
StarsAreFixed
They can't catch everyone, it's impossible. Some are obviously going to slip through the net, particularly those who steal from the grocery section, people who steal clothes are caught more easily.

Well it's not like everyone's looting these places, they should look out for would be thieves. A friend of mine once walked out of a Tesco's right in front of 2 security blokes with a sandwiches and pack of crisps. Got to the door and legged it, the security people didn't even bother moving - So obviously, some places don't try hard enough -

Same with that bloke letting Smoobla walk out.

So it's fair game imo - The moral thing ain't right, but as said if you get away with it, so be it. If you manage to get something out the door of the shop I work without paying for it then well done. Although I'd never let that happen I keep an eye on the ones who look like they will potentially nick. :biggrin:
Reply 49
thats funny
Well it's not like everyone's looting these places, they should look out for would be thieves. A friend of mine once walked out of a Tesco's right in front of 2 security blokes with a sandwiches and pack of crisps. Got to the door and legged it, the security people didn't even bother moving - So obviously, some places don't try hard enough -

Same with that bloke letting Smoobla walk out.

So it's fair game imo - The moral thing ain't right, but as said if you get away with it, so be it. If you manage to get something out the door of the shop I work without paying for it then well done. Although I'd never let that happen I keep an eye on the ones who look like they will potentially nick. :biggrin:

Exactly! When it comes to food, supermarkets never sell it all and will always throw some produce away. It's less wasteful to steal!

Is it wrong that I'm presenting deliberately annoying arguments? :p:
I once stole a pineapple from a display on a fast food van at a festival. My friends and I then proceeded to eat it; rather shockingly, it was really ripe and very tasty. Once we'd taken chunks out of it until it was roughly eaten-apple shaped, I put it back. So yeah, I didn't realllly steal it.

As an aside: It's very difficult to balance a pineapple on your head.
I have stolen stuff.

Not for the rush, just 'coz I was broke.
Reply 52
Nicked my ex-bf's SWFC t-shirt lol
Just wanted a souvenir!
Reply 53
Smoobla
Exactly! When it comes to food, supermarkets never sell it all and will always throw some produce away. It's less wasteful to steal!

Is it wrong that I'm presenting deliberately annoying arguments? :p:

Oh, mind reader - bea me to the punch -

True -

Waste is phenomonal in supermarkets.
I know of someone in Tesco who said they throw away enough food a day to fill at the least 3 bins full. I don't mean bog standard council wheelie bins either - proper industrial slop bins - Biffa bins. - It's usually more.

I worked at M&S Simply food and it's usually a full bin worth in them places, they won't even reduce prices to reduce wastage of food either.

Seriously, thousands and thousands of pounds of food goes into the bins every day, so nicking food doesn't bother me at all.

--

Nah cool argument. -- You're from the cool midlands though ain't ya :biggrin:
Yeah but it shouldn't have to be a question of whether or not you can get away with it. So what? The point is moot.

The long queue reason is fairly astounding in its stupidity. Did you try a different, more obscure till? It's not the shop's fault, maybe they have all the people they can on tills and the queue is still long. Either queue or leave it till another time, it's still not justification to steal. You steal from Primark, you steal food from Tesco, I'd class that as a common shoplifter. What's distinguishing you from one, exactly?
wow, ive never shoplifted, i'm suprised at the number of people who have lol i always queue up even if its for chewing gum or something
StarsAreFixed

Nice logic, there.

So, your store alone loses €10M from shoplifting. You That's what... €27,000 a day? I call ********. If it's "just a bit more expensive than penneys" (Primark to most of us), then that must be something like 3,000 items stolen every day. I think you've been fed the corporate lie.
Reply 57
StarsAreFixed
Yeah but it shouldn't have to be a question of whether or not you can get away with it. So what? The point is moot.

The long queue reason is fairly astounding in its stupidity. Did you try a different, more obscure till? It's not the shop's fault, maybe they have all the people they can on tills and the queue is still long. Either queue or leave it till another time, it's still not justification to steal. You steal from Primark, you steal food from Tesco, I'd class that as a common shoplifter. What's distinguishing you from one, exactly?

It's not moot - taking the odd item ain't exactly destroying the world is it, the getting away with it wasn't the point, although like I say if you do, then it's tough. It's whether the big businesses can afford to be shoplifted from occasionally, I reckon they can.
Whether or not it is common shoplifting, my point is these places can afford to miss the occassional item, and most stock takings will account for this in businesses, chances are if there's a massive loss it's due to a miscount or staff stealing the items. So if employees lose their bonus, tough. I work in a place where our stock take effects our bonus, and we have a big enough leeway to allow for shoplifting.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this. I don't nick stuff
Reply 58
StarsAreFixed

I was being facetious. I'm not compelled to justify why I have stolen.

It is the shop's fault if the queues are long: they are understaffed. If there are people queueing when all of the staff are at the tills, then it's apparent (to me, at least) that they need to employ a greater workforce. I don't recall the exact details of taking the boots, but I would probably have checked all of the tills because the shoes are on the top floor, so I imagine I worked my way down.
Reply 59
thats funny
I don't even know why I'm arguing this. I don't nick stuff

Don't worry, we'll change that... :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending