Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoobla)
    Don't worry, we'll change that... :p:
    I can get my hands on one of them wheelbarrow things that you use for moving heavy loads with.
    What sort of cooker you after? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    I can get my hands on one of them wheelbarrow things that you use for moving heavy loads with.
    What sort of cooker you after? :p:
    I don't mind... I just want to STEAL it! Stealing makes me happy! I'm going to steal lots and lots! Stealing's fun! GOOOOOOOO STEALING! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind... I just want to STEAL it! Stealing makes me happy! I'm going to steal lots and lots! Stealing's fun! GOOOOOOOO STEALING! :cool:
    lmao - oh no this thread has upped you kleptomania :p: oh well, go halves will you :yy: Not sure how to half a cooker though. - You cook I'll wash the pots lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
    Nice logic, there.

So, your store alone loses €10M from shoplifting. You That's what... €27,000 a day? I call ********. If it's "just a bit more expensive than penneys" (Primark to most of us), then that must be something like 3,000 items stolen every day. I think you've been fed the corporate lie.

I didn't say just a bit, that was you, I said a bit, as in, it's not as expensive as Debenhams. Some of the clothes are €75, some are €10. It has a grocery, which gets fleeced, and homewares, which doesn't really, for obvious reasons. It's actually perfectly feasible, it's smack bang in the city centre and is the favourite of junkies and Roma (who are obviously kept an eye on). And a restaraunt, which also suffers from shoplifting..made-up sandwiches, Fruice etc. It makes a bit over €200k a day, and yes, shoplifting averages at €8-10M a year. Grocery takes the hit, drapery is second.

Dealing firsthand with fitting-room thieves, people swerving towards the door with clearly-visible items (I thought this was the till!) leaves me with little sympathy for shoplifters, in general. Yes I know stocktake allows for shoplifting and stock mistakes, but it's still outrageous and it's grand to have the attitude that the shop won't miss it, but it's surprising how many people have that attitude! If you're caught, nobody's going to listen to 'I forgot to pay', all department stores and supermarkets (that I know) WILL prosecute you, no matter what BS you can come up with.

Sure, plenty of the shoplifters that the store deals with are stealing food because they're so poor. But smoobla, and several others, are doing it for the thrills. I just don't get that attitude at all.

ReputationRep:
    lmao - oh no this thread has upped you kleptomania :p: oh well, go halves will you :yy: Not sure how to half a cooker though. - You cook I'll wash the pots lol
    Don't worry, I'll steal a saw and then we can literally have half each! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    I didn't say just a bit, that was you, I said a bit, as in, it's not as expensive as Debenhams. Some of the clothes are €75, some are €10. It has a grocery, which gets fleeced, and homewares, which doesn't really, for obvious reasons. It's actually perfectly feasible, it's smack bang in the city centre and is the favourite of junkies and Roma (who are obviously kept an eye on). And a restaraunt, which also suffers from shoplifting..made-up sandwiches, Fruice etc. It makes a bit over €200k a day, and yes, shoplifting averages at €8-10M a year. Grocery takes the hit, drapery is second.

Dealing firsthand with fitting-room thieves, people swerving towards the door with clearly-visible items (I thought this was the till!) leaves me with little sympathy for shoplifters, in general. Yes I know stocktake allows for shoplifting and stock mistakes, but it's still outrageous and it's grand to have the attitude that the shop won't miss it, but it's surprising how many people have that attitude! If you're caught, nobody's going to listen to 'I forgot to pay', all department stores and supermarkets (that I know) WILL prosecute you, no matter what BS you can come up with.

Sure, plenty of the shoplifters that the store deals with are stealing food because they're so poor. But smoobla, and several others, are doing it for the thrills. I just don't get that attitude at all.
    You should keep your eye on the ball then

Where is this shop I want to come thief stuff to make a point :p: lol

But seriously, if they have a figure that astronomical for shoplifing in your shop you think they'd up security. You're letting people who will steal take advantage. Hence fair play to the theives. The attitude is if it was that much of a deal to these big businesses they'd do more to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'll steal a saw and then we can literally have half each! :p:
    BnQ?

or

Homebase?

ReputationRep:
    Ha only trained security can actually apprehend a shoplifter, a lot of them get violent. We're supposed to be vigilant on tills, hidden items in a (shop's own) handbag, jewellery stuffed into bra boxes etc, and if we suspect someone's stealing, alert security discreetly (which is pretty difficult...'A member of security please contact the ladieswear fitting room' over the intercom. They all have the walkie-talkies, not us.

ReputationRep:
    BnQ?

or

Homebase?
    Probably a few from each, just in case one breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Cars, helicopters, cleared out banks, you name it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adampolar)
    Cars, helicopters, cleared out banks, you name it.
    I respect that, it takes skillz!

ReputationRep:
    Ha only trained security can actually apprehend a shoplifter, a lot of them get violent. We're supposed to be vigilant on tills, hidden items in a (shop's own) handbag, jewellery stuffed into bra boxes etc, and if we suspect someone's stealing, alert security discreetly (which is pretty difficult...'A member of security please contact the ladieswear fitting room' over the intercom. They all have the walkie-talkies, not us.
    Shops fault then. The security should be more alert and keep their eyes open for suspicious folks, like loiterers or whatever.
    I have personally stopped a shoplifter before, slipped some booze in his coat, I just went up and said you better put that back. He did and left. That's it.
    Spotted, questioned, resolved.
    If the staff in this place can't merely do this then you deserve to get robbed. Thieves don't hang around too long for you to ponce around with the intercom. Perhaps not your fault, but security is at fault for not spotting this action and such people. It's just daft.
    Hence, if they get away the store ain't doing enough to prevent it, especially if 8-10 million is going each year! :eek: christ, that's phenomonal.

ReputationRep:
    I respect that, it takes skillz!
    Hey, the tuition fees gotta come from some where!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Probably a few from each, just in case one breaks.
    Good plan batgirl -

Maybe that bloke there can nick us the van

ReputationRep:
    i've stolen someones virginity, they hadnt got a clue it was me though.... so i think im safe.

ReputationRep:

Why compare it with Penneys, what most people would consider to be the cheapest of clothes shops, if your stock is actually pretty much midrange?

I like how since your original post, a range of €2 M has been added. Not that you'd want to sensationalise what you wrote, or anything. Anyway, let's take the minimum of your estimates, €8M / year, and we still come out with €22,000 stolen, on average, per day. If it's groceries that's most affected, then the average amount stolen can't be that high. I can't see anyone walking out with their weekly shop. Let's be generous, and assume the average amount stolen is €40. This still leaves you with 550 instances of theft per day. To put that in more understandable terms, if you're open 10 hours, that's roughly a theft every minute and 6 seconds. You need to build some walls around the edge of your shop.

On top of all this, I'm guessing all these figures on retail prices. To make a profit, especially if you've got a theft problem like that, you must have a margin. I don't know how much it is in shops like these... 10%?

ReputationRep:
    Good plan batgirl -

Maybe that bloke there can nick us the van
    Pah, I've an idea that's far less trouble! I'll steal some glass cutters, then we can go to the van shop and steal a van!

ReputationRep:
    So -

200K a day - 73 million a year made -
    8-10 mill a year lost via shoplifting

So 63 made at least.

but tbh, the amount of money lost on waste due to out of date stock every year is probably worse than that, if it's mainly grocery being nicked then I find it rather justifiable.
    And 63 mill is hardly a small profit is it?

As said, if they're losing so much, they should do something more. Employing a security guard for every square foot of the place would work out far less of a pay out than 8-10 mill a year I'd reckon

ReputationRep:
    Pah, I've an idea that's far less trouble! I'll steal some glass cutters, then we can go to the van shop and steal a van!
    Why not just rip Currys from it foundations and nick the whole thing :p: - after nicking a crane and a flatbed lol - night time op

ReputationRep:
    It is the shop's fault if the queues are long: they are understaffed. If there are people queueing when all of the staff are at the tills, then it's apparent (to me, at least) that they need to employ a greater workforce.

Ah, but maybe they can't afford to employ more people to work there because their profits are being eaten into by shoplifting :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.