Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    8-10 million a year from one shop??????

Harrods isnt even that.

ReputationRep:
    Because lots of the basic items are only marginally more expensive than Penneys/Primark, but it has much more expensive ranges. I said it lost €10M last year, which it did, and that it loses 8-10 on average each year, which it does. I don't see how that was misleading. This year, however, is down on previous ones, though there's always a surge in the last quarter. Sadly I have zero power in saying, wtf, more security?? Security tags on EVERYTHING, not just on Range X etc. It IS ridiculous and it infuriates me that 'some of the CCTV cameras aren't working'...then do something about it! Thankfully, store is being renovated, and will soon hopefully have the same security features as one of the other city centre outlets which is brand new and doesn't suffer near as much. There is another outlet though, that is beside a Methadone clinic and almost has to nail it's stock to the shelves...after that one, we are second. The other ones around the country aren't near as bad.

It made a slight profit last year, €14k or something? Turnover was a few hundred million, I forget. Sales are way down recession blahh though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Because lots of the basic items are only marginally more expensive than Penneys/Primark, but it has much more expensive ranges. I said it lost €10M last year, which it did, and that it loses 8-10 on average each year, which it does. I don't see how that was misleading. This year, however, is down on previous ones, though there's always a surge in the last quarter. Sadly I have zero power in saying, wtf, more security?? Security tags on EVERYTHING, not just on Range X etc. It IS ridiculous and it infuriates me that 'some of the CCTV cameras aren't working'...then do something about it! Thankfully, store is being renovated, and will soon hopefully have the same security features as one of the other city centre outlets which is brand new and doesn't suffer near as much. There is another outlet though, that is beside a Methadone clinic and almost has to nail it's stock to the shelves...after that one, we are second. The other ones around the country aren't near as bad.

It made a slight profit last year, €14k or something? Turnover was a few hundred million, I forget. Sales are way down recession blahh though.
    whats this store called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba_pea)
    Ah, but maybe they can't afford to employ more people to work there because their profits are being eaten into by shoplifting :p:
    It's a Catch 22 situation, indeed it is.

Regardless, I want to erode Primark's profits; why should I pay for their goods when they barely pay people to make them? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    whats this store called?
    I want to go there and rob my heart out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    8-10 million a year from one shop??????

Harrods isnt even that.

Who would DARE to steal from there??

I am agreeing it is ridiculous. It probably sounds way more ridiculous but in terms of daily turnover etc, it's not as mental as it sounds. Still insane, of course. I think my original point was, people who steal from the sake of it, suck. Retail's doing badly enough with the whole doom and gloom thing. All our hours are being cut!

Dunnes Stores. There's a few in the UK but it's the ones here that make a killing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoobla)
    I stole a pair of boots from Primark because the queue was too long. They were incredibly cheap and I told an assistant I was going to steal them before leaving.

When I was younger, I used to accidentally steal earrings from Claire's because they would fall into my hood without me realising.

I used to steal penny sweets from the orchestra tuck shop...
    LORS!!!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    It's a Catch 22 situation, indeed it is.

Regardless, I want to erode Primark's profits; why should I pay for their goods when they barely pay people to make them? :cool:
    mind reading again - sweat shops - balls I was going to say that -

*whatever smoobla says goes I guess* more or less what I'd say anyway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I steal candles from Pearl Lounge in Aberdeen, usually when drunk. I have 3 in my collection, all different colours. I think when I pinch one they need to get new ones cos they no longer have a full set... or maybe not...

ReputationRep:
    I want to go there and rob my heart out.
    I already said that :p: -

but yeah, bet they got some good stuff if it's 8-10 mill worth of nicking. I don't nick, but I would in there I'd reckon :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because lots of the basic items are only marginally more expensive than Penneys/Primark, but it has much more expensive ranges. I said it lost €10M last year, which it did, and that it loses 8-10 on average each year, which it does. I don't see how that was misleading. This year, however, is down on previous ones, though there's always a surge in the last quarter.
    My store alone loses €10M a year from shoplifting

As for the €14k profit, that's quite astoundingly low

ReputationRep:

I am agreeing it is ridiculous. It probably sounds way more ridiculous but in terms of daily turnover etc, it's not as mental as it sounds. Still insane, of course. I think my original point was, people who steal from the sake of it, suck. Retail's doing badly enough with the whole doom and gloom thing. All our hours are being cut!

Dunnes Stores. There's a few in the UK but it's the ones here that make a killing.
    From a quick internet search, I assume the figures you were using were not just for your store then?! :p:

Edit:

According to its most recent accounts, it made a pre-tax profit of £39 million (€57.5 million) from sales of £231 million (€341million).That equates to a profit of €2.4 million per store. Based on those numbers, the company’s 110 stores in the Republic could be generating over €265 million in pre-tax profits every year. Furthermore, the company owns most of its properties, giving it access to one of the biggest retail property portfolios in the state.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/...story19512.asp

Edit #2: Was it already obvious to everyone else that we were talking about the whole company?!

ReputationRep:

people do, oddly enough, because things are worth a lot and people want them/want to sell them. Seriously, thats more than the enitir US loses in one day, the ENTIRE of the united states, whats the store called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMakeSayThink)

As for the €14k profit, that's quite astoundingly low

Yeah I'm actually not too sure about that one, I don't think it's right either, it's what a manager said. It does make a profit, it's not struggling thouh, I'd imagine it's a good bit more substantial than that.

The other figures were for my store, I haven't a clue what the collective figure are, I'd imagine the country stores lose nowhere near as much and it balances the Dublin ones out. The suburban ones lose ****-all too. As a company, it is the biggest and most profitable retail group here, it's family owned and the family are really, really rich, feckers.

ReputationRep:
    I have quoted/linked the figures for 2006.

ReputationRep:

Edit #2: Was it already obvious to everyone else that we were talking about the whole company?!

It's an private limited company, or whatever the term is. It doesn't have to release detailed accounts, and it doesn't. I am talking about my store. I hope you realise 8-10mill IS euro, so €8M is apparently around £6.4M, according to xe.com.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, from that link, the only accounts come from stores in the North. I wondered why it was in sterling. The ones in the North aren't that profitable tbh. The rest concurs, company valued at €2.2bn 7 years ago, thought to be more now.

ReputationRep:
    From a quick internet search, I assume the figures you were using were not just for your store then?! :p:

Edit:

nope, in fact im sure on here somewhereit was writtent hat the store made 250,000 profit a day....hmmm. One big store huh.

ReputationRep:
    ta for the rep smoobla :yy: will return gesture soon

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha 250,000 profit a day? No, I said it makes around €200k a day..in sales, from the tills. This went down a while ago, is back up to around 200k now with the sales, and surges completely at Christmas. No need to twist things now. All of these figures are in euro, which I don't think some of you are accounting for. My store is one of the biggest, and certainly one of the ones with the most turnover. The company has market dominance in the republic, and it is far from it in the North. Those figures smoobla quoted are for stores IN THE NORTH ONLY. I don't know the annual profit my store makes, I'd imagine it is far more than 14k, and I also haven't a clue what the annual profit for the company as a whole is here, because legally it doesn't have to publish any of it's figures.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.