?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are law students clever?
Jsn.ei
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Are law students clever? I’m talking about the ones from Russel group unis (Exeter, Bristol, Durham etc.)
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
+1 for most pointless thread I've seen today.
Jsn.ei
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
+1 for most pointless thread I've seen today.
Ok I’m so sorry Midget Fever
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jsn.ei)
Ok I’m so sorry Midget Fever
I mean, it's such a general question that someone can't possibly give you a definitive answer.

Some are clever, some aren't. I've met some law students that are as thick as bricks.
Jsn.ei
Rep:
?
I mean, it's such a general question that someone can't possibly give you a definitive answer.

Some are clever, some aren't. I've met some law students that are as thick as bricks.
Ok. What about those from Russel groups? (Exeter, Bristol, Durham etc.) If that narrows it down?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. What about those from Russel groups? (Exeter, Bristol, Durham etc.) If that narrows it down?
Not really. Same concept; some are clever and some aren't. I go to a RG uni now (albeit not one of the "top" ones) and I've definitely met some students that I wouldn't consider clever.
Jsn.ei
Rep:
?
Not really. Same concept; some are clever and some aren't. I go to a RG uni now (albeit not one of the "top" ones) and I've definitely met some students that I wouldn't consider clever.
With most entry requirements from Russel group unis being mainly AAA, surely the majority of the students are clever? I wouldn’t necessarily say an average student would get those sort of grades? Also, do you mind me asking what uni you go to?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With most entry requirements from Russel group unis being mainly AAA, surely the majority of the students are clever? I wouldn’t necessarily say an average student would get those sort of grades? Also, do you mind me asking what uni you go to?
It all depends on what you define as "clever". Some are good at memorising but don't have a shred of common sense. Some have common sense but forget a lot of content they've taught.

Those without common sense will seriously struggle in a law degree. I go to the University of Sheffield.
Jsn.ei
Rep:
?
It all depends on what you define as "clever". Some are good at memorising but don't have a shred of common sense. Some have common sense but forget a lot of content they've taught.

Those without common sense will seriously struggle in a law degree. I go to the University of Sheffield.
I’m talking academically clever.
Also, how are you enjoying Sheffield? What year are you in?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m talking academically clever.
Also, how are you enjoying Sheffield? What year are you in?
The first question is getting quite circular so I don't think we're going to get anywhere with that imo.

I really enjoy studying at Sheffield if I'm honest. Wonderful city, plenty of law firm events and academic talks, challenging content, supportive tutors. Yeah, it's a decent law school.

I'm in my second year.
IpsaLoquitur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'Academically clever' is a very ill-defined notion. I've known people who got full A*s at A-Level but their analytical and reasoning capacity was...not. I've also known people who got C's who had excellent analytical and reasoning capacity. People who get into top universities to study law usually have both good grades and capacity, or one but not the other. The former must be academically clever, but the rest? Who knows. The joys of an inexact language.
Jsn.ei
Rep:
?
So sorry you feel this way J Papi, but thank you for your helpful answer
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
no, definitely wrong word for it.

writing exams is a skill and a technique one can learn and work at; you don't need 'cleverness' necessarily but hard work and determination. law students (the ones with good grades i mean) are skilled, but not necessarily natural. takes a lot of effort sometimes to get a high 2:1 or a first.
username4762440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

This has taken care of most of my worries. I love you.
Last edited by username4762440; 1 year ago
Humairaahpatel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I would think they are probably at least academically smart if they’re doing a tough law degree at good unis which aren’t very easy to get into tbh
Why are you asking
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:rofl:
Literally went to uni worrying everyone was going to be smarter than me. Then I met a law student that tried to microwave his socks to dry them, says it all really.
username4762440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Literally went to uni worrying everyone was going to be smarter than me. Then I met a law student that tried to microwave his socks to dry them, says it all really.
How.....I just....okay..... that is so 'mummy is no longer doing my laundry so I am being innovative'.
When guys do dumb things like that, it is so endearing. :rofl:
Last edited by username4762440; 1 year ago
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's bloody hilarious :lol:
Took him a good half an hour to ask to use my hairdryer lmao.
IpsaLoquitur
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HA! I tried to microwave a sealed tin of beans in my first week. Common sense was never my forte.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (357)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (279)
43.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise