M568 – Re-establishment of Huntingdonshire Motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M568 – Re-establishment of Huntingdonshire Motion, Rt. Hon Jammy Duel MP

This house recognises Huntingdonshire as one of the 39 Historic Counties of England and as such believes that it should be re-established as one of the Ceremonial Counties of England.

Until 1974 when it was merged into Cambridgeshire the county of Huntingdonshire had existed largely unchanged for a millenium with it being known to have existed since at least the 10th Century. Huntingdonshire is not, however, the only historic county that was lost in 1974 with others including Rutland, revived in 1997, and Herefordshire and Worcestershire revived in 1998.

Given Huntingdonshire has a history distinct from Cambridgeshire that is as old as England itself, including continuing to maintain its own cricket board independent of Cambridgeshire this house believes the Non-metropolitan District of Huntingdonshire should be reclassified as a unitary authority and have its status as a Ceremonial County restored.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also that fine upstanding Knight of the Shires, Sir John Major dwells in the aforementioned county.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
****, Jammy beat me to the first meme motion of the term.
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
seems very reasonable indeed, aye
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
This is in fact not a meme motion, rather an actual issue.

Good motion Jammy Duel, I support it.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sure I guess? I'm not going to pretend I know much about this but I see no harm, so unless anyone fancies enlightening me on why this motion shouldn't be given an Aye then it will be an Aye from me.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
No, that one is still up for grabs
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye - eläköön vapaa Huntingdonširin kreivikunna

(before the TSR language police start moaning - it means ”long live free Huntingdonshire”)
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I confess I'm not quite sure what this change would do in practical terms.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Should Peterborough rejoin Northamptonshire too?
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I give this an aye the only thing is there are lots more historic counties that this has occurred to such as Westmoreland. So I find it unfair for only Huntingdonshire to be reinstated.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Create on Tory area and one which any party had a chance in.
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i would like to go one step further than the right honourable gentleman and propose the revival of pre-Anglo-Saxon British tribal divisions. Long live the Iceni!
yaseen1000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AYE
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Abstain.

Does not contain a core city so I can't say im all that bothered
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would be supportive if it was part of the existing county of Cambridgeshire being split into unitary authorities, and as with all local government, elected by a form of PR.

As a motion in isolation, I would not support it.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I would be supportive if it was part of the existing county of Cambridgeshire being split into unitary authorities, and as with all local government, elected by a form of PR.

As a motion in isolation, I would not support it.
you mean you will only support Huntingdonshire being made a UA if we completely change the local government electoral system?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Create on Tory area and one which any party had a chance in.
You do realise that is already the case anyway? HDC has been tory controlled since 1976. The only time HDC has not had Tory control was the first 3 years when there were lots of independents, or more likely "independents". The fewest Tory councillors since 1976 was 24 as part of a 40 seat council and as other than that 30 which is the current 52 seat council and has been that way since 2018, but that's only due to a load of "independents" who are actually Tories.

Of course district councils don't quite do everything you've also got Cambridgeshire County Council in there but the Tories have also held a majority there since forever bar a stint of 2013-17 but that was only due to UKIP taking 11 seats off them in the North of Cambridgeshire (including 6 of the 19 Huntingdonshire seats) and 4 "independents" that are actually Tories
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Convert HDC into I guess Huntingdonshire Unitary Authority meaning they'd be responsible for a bunch more stuff
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Division, clear the lobby!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (477)
66.43%
No (241)
33.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed