Writing an alt history novel

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Not sure what forum to put it, but here it goes...

I've wanted to write a novel for a while now and I think I've got a good idea. I'm going to summarise the plot.

It's April 1945. The Soviets are shelling Berlin from the east, whilst the allies close in from the west. Hitler and his generals are in the Fuhrer bunker. Whilst Hitler and Goebbels want to stay in the city, other officers have plans to evacuate him and the German High Command to either Spain or Argentina (they choose Argentina).

Inevitably, German is defeated, but by this point the high command and Hitler are on the way to Argentina. Germany is divided, but unlike what actually happened, Eastern Europe (Romania, Bulgaria, Poland etc) is actually annexed into the USSR rather than being made puppets, provoking fury from Churchill and the allies who fear that a German dominated Europe is now becoming a Russian, communist one.

A rogue CIA agent, Eric Lyons, with contacts in the Argentine government realise that Hitler is in fact alive, and is in Argentina along with his cabniet. The CIA want to limit the communist influence in Europe, but don't want to go to war directly with Russia. Realising that the Nazis can be used to overthrow the communist reigime in Germany, he arranges, against his superiors wishes (whom he later has killed) to smuggle Hitler and his men into East Berlin via Checkpoint charlie as part of a disguised military convoy.

The 1953 East German Uprising was choreostrated by the CIA with the help of the Nazis, who now refer to themselves as the New Aryans. East Germany's government is toppled.

Prior to the evacuation from Germany, Hitler gave former Nazi officers instructions should they be chosen to lead the FRG (Federal Republic of Germany) (eg Kurt Georg Kiesinger).The West unites with the East, but at this point Hitler does not re-take power. The CIA are largely pleased, although many do not realise that Hitler himself was involved. The Soviets invade from the east, aiming to retake the country , under new hardliner Nikolai Cherdenko who assumes the position of Premier of the Red Federation. Cherdenko was more internationalist than Stalin, and had China and the USSR unified along with North Korea and later Vietnam and Kampuchea. The Reds deploy tactical nukes as they push their way into East Germany. The USA responds by dropping nuclear bombs on Warsaw, Minsk and Kyiv as well as threatening further strikes on Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad. The Red Federation withdraws, leaving an uninhabited, decimated "Neutral Zone" between Germany and Red Russia.

With the help of a network of ex Nazis in the USA, Lyons has the head of the CIA, Allen Dulles, killed in a car accident, and is appointed as head of the agency. Now free as he pleases, Lyons contacts the New Aryans and instructs them to overthrow the interim German government.

The german high command, assissted by other ex Nazis, CIA mercenaries and sympathetic Germans, stage a coup d'etat in Berlin and overthrow the government. Hitler announces a Forth Reich, apologising for the suffering and abandonment of the German people, and also claiming to want peace between Germany and Russia.

Churchill is furious, and ends up having a heart attack, in which he dies. Eisenhower is also furious, and vows war, but is assassinated. The CIA deploy mind control drugs in the US water supply, which makes the population forget about Hitler and WW2, and instead embrace him, and makes the American population feel a strong hatred towards communism and the Red Federation, as well as Jews, minorities etc.

Italy descends into civil war between socilaists in the south and fascists in the North, who unite with Germany. Within 2 hours of invasion, France surrenders, and in turn it is largely preserved, albeit its Northern regions go to Germany. The Greater Aryan Reich is declared.

Meanwhile, the Germans also take advantage of the British population who are at this stage suffering from a recession after the consequences of WW2. In collaboration with the Scottish, who want independence, the country is invaded, with England being annexed by the Reich whilst Scotland maintains independence as the Scottish Free State, a quasi fascist state.

Meanwhile, the CIA continues to support anti communist movements in Europe and across the world. In Greece, this revolts in the Junta, with the support of the Aryans, invading most of the Balkans and Turkey, and proclaiming the Hellenic Leauge, a Greek/Slavic clerical fascist state.

Hitler, believing that the state of Israel now seeks to control Germany, collaborates with the Arabs, and attack Israel, decimating it and the Jewish population, who are expelled and sent to penal colonies in the sahara and subsaharan Africa where they are used as slave labour in addition to the natives.

In the USA, a civil war breaks out, after the new president attempts to get rid of segregation. The south, supported by elements of the CIA and the Aryans, secedes and forms a fascist republic.

The rest of the storyline focuses on the day to day life in the Greater Aryan Reich (GAR), which includes mass surveillance of citizens, and genocide of populations in the third world.

MI6 realise that the CIA were involved in supporting the rise of the new reigime, as do the KGB, who put aside ideological differences and plan to hunt down the rogue elements of the CIA responsible. After signfiicant efforts, they track Lyons down, and assassinate him. The British, supported by the American union (made up of the Northern US and Canada), in addition to the Red Federation, attack the reich using nuclear strikes, decimating Berlin and killing the entire high command, whilst it is invaded from the North, west and east, and is overthrown.

The main motivations behind the CIA being behind such a plot is a belief held by Lyons and other agents that the americans were fighting "the wrong enemy", and more moderate agents were motivated by believing that out of communism and nazism, communism was the lesser of the two evils. Indeed, in a speech in Berlin, Hitler announced that hte people of Europe and the world either had a choice, between "civillised fascism, or barbarous communism".

So yes, it is a long plot but I think it would be interesting. The CIA is well known in the cold war and to this day supporting reigime change, and is known for collaborating with fascists and indeed Nazis to oppose communism wherever it cropped up in the world.

Please let me know what you think!
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rather grim reading.
Not to mention a story with so much focus on Nazism and Hitler, only gives him the publicity that he always craved during his life and fulfils his desire to be "the most famous German of all time".

Can't you shift your alt history to a more ancient era?
Ancient Egypt during their monotheistic religious revolution under Akhenaten and Nefertiti.
Or Ancient Rome with Julius Caesar outliving Brutus.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Rather grim reading.
Not to mention a story with so much focus on Nazism and Hitler, only gives him the publicity that he always craved during his life and fulfils his desire to be "the most famous German of all time".

Can't you shift your alt history to a more ancient era?
Ancient Egypt during their monotheistic religious revolution under Akhenaten and Nefertiti.
Or Ancient Rome with Julius Caesar outliving Brutus.
I haven't written it yet, only the first chapter in the bunker, but I'm hoping to have btis written from perspectives of the main leaders at the time possibly or more likely the people living under the rule of both the Reds and the Aryans. It's not so much about Hitler, its more about the CIA and the cold war as a whole. Some would proabbly call this far fetched, and that the CIA would never use Hitler - but by 1953, the CIA was already developing mind control drugs, was using over 1,000 former Nazis etc. It links to today I think, because the CIA still seeks reigime change, whether it be in Iran or Venezuela.

I know nothing about the below topics, on the contrary I am more knowledgable on the cold war and WW2.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
I haven't written it yet, only the first chapter in the bunker, but I'm hoping to have btis written from perspectives of the main leaders at the time possibly or more likely the people living under the rule of both the Reds and the Aryans. It's not so much about Hitler, its more about the CIA and the cold war as a whole. Some would proabbly call this far fetched, and that the CIA would never use Hitler - but by 1953, the CIA was already developing mind control drugs, was using over 1,000 former Nazis etc. It links to today I think, because the CIA still seeks reigime change, whether it be in Iran or Venezuela.

I know nothing about the below topics, on the contrary I am more knowledgable on the cold war and WW2.
Why don't you merge eras together, include ancient eras/fantasy folklore and rename the agencies like the CIA and FBI?
20th century eras don't come with enough distance to be considered entertainment and this can be tricky to get around unless its for a comedy like Allo Allo. Even fiction set in the time of the british empire can be problematic.

Ancient eras, folklore and fantasy worlds are easier to explore without the need to cater to as many historical sensitivities.
For example the origins of fascism in ancient rome and the origins of some nazi beliefs with the thule mythology.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Not sure what forum to put it, but here it goes...

I've wanted to write a novel for a while now and I think I've got a good idea. I'm going to summarise the plot.

It's April 1945. The Soviets are shelling Berlin from the east, whilst the allies close in from the west. Hitler and his generals are in the Fuhrer bunker. Whilst Hitler and Goebbels want to stay in the city, other officers have plans to evacuate him and the German High Command to either Spain or Argentina (they choose Argentina).

Inevitably, German is defeated, but by this point the high command and Hitler are on the way to Argentina. Germany is divided, but unlike what actually happened, Eastern Europe (Romania, Bulgaria, Poland etc) is actually annexed into the USSR rather than being made puppets, provoking fury from Churchill and the allies who fear that a German dominated Europe is now becoming a Russian, communist one.

A rogue CIA agent, Eric Lyons, with contacts in the Argentine government realise that Hitler is in fact alive, and is in Argentina along with his cabniet.

Please let me know what you think!
I think Eric was an OSS agent unless the Alt History was to create the CIA prior to 1947.
Last edited by nulli tertius; 1 year ago
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you think it'll be interesting then write it. What other people think doesn't really matter. Just enjoy the writing process.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I think Eric was an OSS agent unless the Alt History was to create the CIA prior to 1947.
No, whilst the first chapter or two takes place in 1945, the CIA don't actually get involved until around 1950/1953.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.27%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
16.24%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.95%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (15)
12.82%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (36)
30.77%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (21)
17.95%

Watched Threads