The Student Room Group

Getting on my pathway to Law degree?

I got poor grades in my GCSEs so need to get Maths English Science A-C A pref, I'm looking to get a Law degree! Which is the best, quickest, cheapest way of doing this? College 1yr. Uni 3yrs ..... Etc., Any suggestions?
What do you mean by poor grades? Can you specific?
Original post by PetitePanda
What do you mean by poor grades? Can you specific?

I got C in maths D English E science
Original post by Lawyer waiting

Do you not have any other grades? Do you have any extenuating circumstances why you have these grades and that many? Your c in maths is fine for most unis because I don’t think there’s specific gcde requirements for law but you should definitely retake English.
Do you not have any other grades? Do you have any extenuating circumstances why you have these grades and that many? Your c in maths is fine for most unis because I don’t think there’s specific gcde requirements for law but you should definitely retake English.

That's Not wat iv been told.. yes do av circum but not want to go into at mo! Yes iv got 6 but all low grades & the Uni will Only accept grades A-C!
That's Not wat iv been told.. yes do av circum but not want to go into at mo! Yes iv got 6 but all low grades & the Uni will Only accept grades A-C!

What have you not been told? You could contact the uni saying you had these circumstances to see if they would let you in despite your GCSEs. Yeah that’s normally the requirement is - 5 passes basically. How many subjects have you passed???
What have you not been told? You could contact the uni saying you had these circumstances to see if they would let you in despite your GCSEs. Yeah that’s normally the requirement is - 5 passes basically. How many subjects have you passed???

I've Only got 1 which was a C. Ur not reading this are u! Not really getting answers to what I asked!
I've Only got 1 which was a C. Ur not reading this are u! Not really getting answers to what I asked!

I’m really sorry that you assumed that but it’s been a bit vague so I’m trying to get all information to know what would the best option. You could’ve put in all the information more specifically like if you had any further education qualifications like A levels because I would’ve been able to help you more better. Like with a foundation year, they normally ask you for two a levels to a decent standard; I asked you for all your GCSEs because you just need a pass at maths and English so that’s why I recommended you retake it. However, if you have 3 alevels or btecs some unis might reconsider your GCSEs for your application because of extenuating circumstances, which is why I suggested to contact them if this was the case. Btecs are only considered if it’s relevant to aspects of law though. If you don’t have any qualifications, you could do an access course which would allow to enter university with the credits you got from that access course and sometimes there are English and maths modules that allow can be considered instead of your GCSEs instead as well.

Foundation years: Northumbria University and MMU university have one that I can currently think of and they both require 80 Ucas points and A pass in maths/English gcse. I also know durham has one but I don’t remember what the requirements was. I hope this is will give you answers to what you wanted and I’m sorry if I wasn’t much help before.

You're probably going to have to retake that English grade. It's difficult getting into universities without at least a C grade in English let alone law firms.

Excuse me HUNNY? Tone it down to a 2, we're trying to help you.

It's time to resit some GCSEs and go to sixth form. This isn't the end of the road unless you give up.

If you have an attitude then no one is going to be interested in helping you.

I would suggest spending time doing research and thinking about whether the subject is really for you, especially if you dont have very good reasons for your low academic attainment so far. Exams and studies are only going to get more demanding and instead of being in such a rush if you are smart then you will want to know, not the quickest, but the most effective path to get a good quality degree from a decent uni, so you can actually use it the other end if that matters to you. If you arent interested or smart then you can rush into things get mediocre grades in a mediocre university, end up with a poor degree and then you will have the rest of your life to think about it.
Petite panda was giving up their time to try and help you. Play nice or other people will push back and you wont like that.

The fastest way (depending if you are old enough) will be either to do A levels self taught or an Access to HE course or impress some admissions people you are capable of degree level study now if you have lots of experience. The former could take 1-2 years and you could get your English at the same time.

I would be taking several steps back and focusing on why the GCSE's were poor and how my academic studies were going to improve to an acceptable standard.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
If you have an attitude then no one is going to be interested in helping you.

I would suggest spending time doing research and thinking about whether the subject is really for you, especially if you dont have very good reasons for your low academic attainment so far. Exams and studies are only going to get more demanding and instead of being in such a rush if you are smart then you will want to know, not the quickest, but the most effective path to get a good quality degree from a decent uni, so you can actually use it the other end if that matters to you. If you arent interested or smart then you can rush into things get mediocre grades in a mediocre university, end up with a poor degree and then you will have the rest of your life to think about it.
Petite panda was giving up their time to try and help you. Play nice or other people will push back and you wont like that.

The fastest way (depending if you are old enough) will be either to do A levels self taught or an Access to HE course or impress some admissions people you are capable of degree level study now if you have lots of experience. The former could take 1-2 years and you could get your English at the same time.

I would be taking several steps back and focusing on why the GCSE's were poor and how my academic studies were going to improve to an acceptable standard.

Thank you. I've NOT got Attitude! Just people on here aren't reading blog! I've lots of reasons why didn't get these grades, but not going into on here! I also got 9 other gcse grade C in art but have to get Eng & Maths! I Hav ask about the HE access & will be doing that ...... thanks

Quick Reply

Latest