Queen378
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How mathematical is A-level chemistry? I want to do it at A - level but I don't really like maths :/. Help.
Bbyrai
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, A level chemistry is split up into two halves; organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry. Inorganic consists entirely of maths based concepts, however the maths isn’t too difficult and if you have a pass at gcse maths it should be bearable for you. The most difficult thing about maths in chemistry is not the calculations but understanding which calculations are necessary for the question. Hope this helps!
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is quite a lot of maths to be honest. It might not feel like it when you’re in lessons, but doing exam papers you’ll always have an intense maths question about calculating the length of a flight tube or the speed of an ion in a mass spectrometer or something. Most of the 4/5/6 mark questions are all maths ones. Could you expand on your vague sentence “I don’t like maths” please? What don’t you like about maths? I got an A* at maths GCSE and don’t do it for a level and I’m doing chemistry a level and I’m fine. I wouldn’t say I don’t like maths though. You don’t need to love it, but you need to be confident in your ability in maths.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bbyrai)
Hi, A level chemistry is split up into two halves; organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry. Inorganic consists entirely of maths based concepts, however the maths isn’t too difficult and if you have a pass at gcse maths it should be bearable for you. The most difficult thing about maths in chemistry is not the calculations but understanding which calculations are necessary for the question. Hope this helps!
Not really, physical chemistry has arguably the most maths and that’s split up across all of the papers. But yes I agree, the maths itself isn’t awfully difficult, nothing really too beyond GCSE, but it’s knowing what maths to use which can be difficult.
?Hannah?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
in all fairness, maths has never been one of my strongest subjects - i had to work hard to get an A at gcse, but i find the maths in chemistry pretty straightforward. i would definitely recommend taking chemistry, it is one of my favourite subjects. the content isn’t too difficult either
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (412)
67.21%
No (201)
32.79%

Watched Threads