Turn on thread page Beta

I have some sort of strange-looking freckle on my shoulder, which seems to be a lot bigger than what it was. It's got a white ring around it and it's quite...weird in shape; not a distinct-looking border, not all one colour, etc..

Am a little bit concerned but not really, though my family has a huge history of recurring skin cancers and I've suffered a fair few episodes of second-degree burns on my back and shoulders over the years. However, it's nothing like those creepy-looking, huge things of red and black and purple that we see on the net sometimes, all malignant and monstrous.

Boyfriend & mum seem convinced that I should go and get myself checked out, but am slightly afraid I'll be laughed out of the surgery for what seems like could be nothing more than a oversized freckle.

Don't really know what to do, like...whether a sense of urgency is required or not. No idea if it'll be worth straining for an urgent, emergency appointment or just waiting until there's some GP free in 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    They're not going to laugh at you! Go and get it checked. Just book an appointment with your GP or go to an NHS walk-in centre if you have one near you. It's best to get it checked out early.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd go if I was concerned (which I probably would be if it was growing?!), but I wouldn't bother making an emergency appointment. That said, I'd probably post here first... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Go
    The Doctor would like to calm your fears or get in Diagnosed asap.

ReputationRep:
    GP or NHS walk in centre would be best.

You can self check moles, there are guides online that may put your mind at rest.

The white ring I believe is called a halo as I had one round a small mole next to my eye when I was around 14 and the mole has since disappeared, apparently it's just the body attacking it. Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the GP. Why would it be a 3 week wait? Just pop along to open surgery or book an appointment.

It sounds very much like you should go, the GP won't laugh you out: they will understand and, considering your family history would most likely think your wise to get checked.

So 5 strangers and my boyfriend and my mother seem to think I should go.

Lol, that seems pretty conclusive.

Verrrrry brief thread . Like it. Thanks guys

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.