Achieved 11 9s at (i)GCSE (and all 8s & 9s in mocks). AMA :)

Watch
OpusGCSE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Yeah, so ask me anything!! FYI This is not supposed to be a flex AT ALL but I run a revision studygram account (@opusrevision_gcse) and I am just trying to grow my platform and help more people
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
are you Asian.

do you like sports
ayaanhussain_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How to stop procrastinating? how often do you revise and what are your study habits?
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Are planning to go to university?
Jasmine.bx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How did you revise
math_warrior5000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ayaanhussain_)
How to stop procrastinating? how often do you revise and what are your study habits?
I have the same question myself partner!
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Igotbbcalevel)
are you Asian.

do you like sports
lmao I'm not Asian! But I do really like sports, I play netball for my county and do tennis and athletics @ school
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by ayaanhussain_)
So, procrastination is always the biggest enemy when it comes to revision, but I think having a manageable timetable is key. I never wrote down how many hours I planned to spend studying, just topics I needed to cover or essays I needed to write etc. For me, the way I beat procrastination was just reminding myself that as soon as I'd finished the topics that I'd previously determined I was done for the day and so the more effectively I worked, the more time I had to chill out later. Try making plans for later in the afternoon, it can be as small as FaceTiming your friends so you're incentivised to finish on time!

For GCSEs I started revising hardcore in Easter, I had very odd study habits because I HATE waking up early and also didn't like working during the day whilst my family were relaxing so I tended to study from about 9 - 3 am then go to sleep and wake up at 12ish - I know, I'm a freak!! However, I would say I was doing around 4-6 hrs a day during Easter (which sounds horrendous but is actually completely doable). When you need to start revising, however, is hugely personal as it depends on your current grades and where you hope to get to!

In regards to how I studied for individual subjects, it may be useful to check out my Instagram for in depth, subject-specific help. However, the key points are as follows:

1. Use past papers effectively! Don't just sit doing lots of past papers, that's a total waste of your time... Complete one paper. Then make a note of all of the tricky questions you couldn't do a begin to a compute a bank of the hardest questions and add to this bank every single time you compete a paper, then before your exam you can sit a paper containing all of the very hardest questions which is great practice! (I would recommend typing this bank because it's easier to latterly group similar questions and add too). Secondly, before you move onto the next paper, consolidate the bigger topics that tripped you up (ie if you got a question about drawing waves wrong, spend time going over the waves topic). Finally, it's important to track your marks, there should be an upwards trajectory as you gain more practice and if you're not improving / consistently getting one type of question wrong, it's time to talk to your teachers for more help (or me if you DM me!)

2. MAKE NOTES AS YOU GO. that's all, come Easter, all of your notes should be up to date, so you're not wasting that valuable revision time.

3. Little and often is key! Whether its equations, quotes or maths formulas, constantly reminding yourself of them is the best way to revise effectively and lock them in your long term memory. I found MEMRISE and SENECA particularly good for this.

4. For Sciences: Buy Science with Hazel's model answers revision guide. Trust me.

I hope that helps - it's a lil long I know! If you want more detailed advice / found all that stuff useful please follow my insta!
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by math_warrior5000)
I have the same question myself partner!
See what I said to @ayaanhussain_ hopefully that helps!!
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasmine.bx)
How did you revise
It really depended on the subject - I know that's an annoying answer but you have to tailor your techniques! Check out my instagram for subject specific help . I've responded to someone else about time management n study habits if that helps at all!!
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Are planning to go to university?
Yep! Hoping to study Politics and Philosophy *touch wood*.
itsalmost3am
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OpusGCSE)
Yeah, so ask me anything!! FYI This is not supposed to be a flex AT ALL but I run a revision studygram account (@opusrevision_gcse) and I am just trying to grow my platform and help more people
How did you revise effectively for science?
ayaanhussain_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So, procrastination is always the biggest enemy when it comes to revision, but I think having a manageable timetable is key. I never wrote down how many hours I planned to spend studying, just topics I needed to cover or essays I needed to write etc. For me, the way I beat procrastination was just reminding myself that as soon as I'd finished the topics that I'd previously determined I was done for the day and so the more effectively I worked, the more time I had to chill out later. Try making plans for later in the afternoon, it can be as small as FaceTiming your friends so you're incentivised to finish on time!

For GCSEs I started revising hardcore in Easter, I had very odd study habits because I HATE waking up early and also didn't like working during the day whilst my family were relaxing so I tended to study from about 9 - 3 am then go to sleep and wake up at 12ish - I know, I'm a freak!! However, I would say I was doing around 4-6 hrs a day during Easter (which sounds horrendous but is actually completely doable). When you need to start revising, however, is hugely personal as it depends on your current grades and where you hope to get to!

In regards to how I studied for individual subjects, it may be useful to check out my Instagram for in depth, subject-specific help. However, the key points are as follows:

1. Use past papers effectively! Don't just sit doing lots of past papers, that's a total waste of your time... Complete one paper. Then make a note of all of the tricky questions you couldn't do a begin to a compute a bank of the hardest questions and add to this bank every single time you compete a paper, then before your exam you can sit a paper containing all of the very hardest questions which is great practice! (I would recommend typing this bank because it's easier to latterly group similar questions and add too). Secondly, before you move onto the next paper, consolidate the bigger topics that tripped you up (ie if you got a question about drawing waves wrong, spend time going over the waves topic). Finally, it's important to track your marks, there should be an upwards trajectory as you gain more practice and if you're not improving / consistently getting one type of question wrong, it's time to talk to your teachers for more help (or me if you DM me!)

2. MAKE NOTES AS YOU GO. that's all, come Easter, all of your notes should be up to date, so you're not wasting that valuable revision time.

3. Little and often is key! Whether its equations, quotes or maths formulas, constantly reminding yourself of them is the best way to revise effectively and lock them in your long term memory. I found MEMRISE and SENECA particularly good for this.

4. For Sciences: Buy Science with Hazel's model answers revision guide. Trust me.

I hope that helps - it's a lil long I know! If you want more detailed advice / found all that stuff useful please follow my insta!
Thank you!
jmillss
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
did you use a revision timetable or to-do list and what revision or studying did you focus on during the 2 week Christmas holidays?
Digitidal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Which subjects?
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by itsalmost3am)
How did you revise effectively for science?
I am definitely NOT a science person, so for me studying the mark schemes and constant consolidation was so important. I recommend Science with Hazel books, they are so cheap and provide model answers for all of the potential "extended" answers. I probably had done 10 past papers by time I was sitting my exam and I think just experience in answering papers under timed conditions and altering my exam technique accordingly (ie writing all of the potentially related trigger words when I didn't know the correct answer) was the best way. And ACTIVE REVISION, especially for the sciences where the concepts can be quite complicated, theres no point staring vacantly at a GCP and waiting for it to go in. Hope that helps!
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by jmillss)
did you use a revision timetable or to-do list and what revision or studying did you focus on during the 2 week Christmas holidays?
I used both actually! I had a revision timetable that I updated every night (DM me on insta if you would like a copy!) but I also wrote a To Do list every morning before I began studying in order to spearhead my revision. My timetable provided an overview of everything I needed to get done over the revision period, but the to do list included specific timings for each bit of material, what resources I need to download/read/ watch, how I was going to structure my revision (ie complete a paper? watch a YouTube video? practice an essay? read a mark scheme etc).

No cap, I actually didn't really revise during Xmas... I made sure that my notes were completely up to date across all my subjects and studied the big topics that I didn't understand (ie Organic Chemistry or re-reading my novel for English Lit). For me, Xmas was the opportunity to make sure I was confident with all the content we had covered thus far and in the best position to tackle proper revision in Easter. Hope that helps!!
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Digitidal)
Which subjects?
- Triple Science
- Maths
- Music
- English Literature
- English Language
- History
- R.S.
- French
- Latin
- I didn't take the exam (because I wasn't sure I could get the grade I wanted ) but I also studied the further maths course to completion - which was actually v helpful for my A levels!

What are you doing?
Digitidal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
- Triple Science
- Maths
- Music
- English Literature
- English Language
- History
- R.S.
- French
- Latin
- I didn't take the exam (because I wasn't sure I could get the grade I wanted ) but I also studied the further maths course to completion - which was actually v helpful for my A levels!

What are you doing?
Bio/Chem/Physics, Maths, Stats, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Psych, Hist, Geo, Business, Computer Science, German - I'm predicted 11 9s, an 8 and a 6 so I'm trying to bump up my 8 and 6 grades (English Literature and German)
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Digitidal)
Bio/Chem/Physics, Maths, Stats, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Psych, Hist, Geo, Business, Computer Science, German - I'm predicted 11 9s, an 8 and a 6 so I'm trying to bump up my 8 and 6 grades (English Literature and German)
You can definitely raise those grades come exam time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads