History - 8+
French - 8+
Geography - 7
Mathematics - 6
RPSE - 7
Biology - 7
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 5

How important are mocks when applying? Would you say they consider predicted grades more/less important then mocks? Do you think it would be possible to get in on these mock grades? I want to study French, History, and an English, which I got 8s in, (and believe I could achieve a 9) and have achieved the minimum grade requirements, but I’m just anxious my grades in the sciences will bring it down.

It would be great if you could let me know what GCSE mock grades you got!
Thank you
Advertisement
paulkisho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Your mock results are good, but remember this when you do your real exam- that you won't always get what you got in the mocks.
Don't fall for the trap thinking you're all good and end up not revising as much as you should've for the real thing; also vice versa-don't think you can't achieve a high grades in the actual thing, because you're not getting the results you want in your mocks.

Your school/you usually send off predicted grades to any future sixth form/colleges/higher education institutions you may be applying to, if you are not happy with your predicted, talk to your subject teachers and ask them to raise it up for predictions- this will help you if you desperately require higher predicted grades for your application. Do not be disheartened if your teachers don't raise it up, prove them wrong in your real exams

Don't stress yourself out, you have a long time before your actual exams, if you start little by little now(e.g 30 mins-1hr a day, then slowly bump it up as you get closer to May) on the subjects you are WEAK on, you will reap the benefits in May/June.
Don't overwork yourself as you will get burnt out and lose focus. With the subjects you're strong on, just find the gaps to maintain/increase the marks- mainly just focus on the WEAK subjects over the Christmas holidays as you have plenty of time to work on it.

Remember to enjoy the holidays too, take a break and relax (just don't completely waste your holidays doing nothing)

All the best with your GCSEs! Merry Christmas!
Oiia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by paulkisho)
Your mock results are good, but remember this when you do your real exam- that you won't always get what you got in the mocks.
Don't fall for the trap thinking you're all good and end up not revising as much as you should've for the real thing; also vice versa-don't think you can't achieve a high grades in the actual thing, because you're not getting the results you want in your mocks.

Your school/you usually send off predicted grades to any future sixth form/colleges/higher education institutions you may be applying to, if you are not happy with your predicted, talk to your subject teachers and ask them to raise it up for predictions- this will help you if you desperately require higher predicted grades for your application. Do not be disheartened if your teachers don't raise it up, prove them wrong in your real exams

Don't stress yourself out, you have a long time before your actual exams, if you start little by little now(e.g 30 mins-1hr a day, then slowly bump it up as you get closer to May) on the subjects you are WEAK on, you will reap the benefits in May/June.
Don't overwork yourself as you will get burnt out and lose focus. With the subjects you're strong on, just find the gaps to maintain/increase the marks- mainly just focus on the WEAK subjects over the Christmas holidays as you have plenty of time to work on it.

Remember to enjoy the holidays too, take a break and relax (just don't completely waste your holidays doing nothing)

All the best with your GCSEs! Merry Christmas!
Thanks! I’m not really worried about my predicted grades, and I know that my mocks will not be the same as my actual GCSE grades, but I’m just worried if my mock grades will be good enough to get the initial acceptance. I know my predicted grades are, but mocks get sent too and I completely bombed some subjects that I could have done better in. Do you think colleges think mocks or predicted grades are more important?
Advertisement
paulkisho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Oiia)
Thanks! I’m not really worried about my predicted grades, and I know that my mocks will not be the same as my actual GCSE grades, but I’m just worried if my mock grades will be good enough to get the initial acceptance. I know my predicted grades are, but mocks get sent too and I completely bombed some subjects that I could have done better in. Do you think colleges think mocks or predicted grades are more important?
I can't comment what each college puts more weighting on, but they usually take predicted grades as more important, mainly due to the fact that predicted grades are what the teacher more or less expects you to get for your final results. However, like I said I am speculating, as different colleges look at different things and assess the applications they receive usually on an individual basis.
I would say contact your desired colleges/sixth form or search for it on their websites
ellieemaee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey, I don’t go to Greenhead but I also applied to go there about a month ago and I got one of the early acceptance letters yesterday. They accept people based on mock grades and the interview and predicted grades are not used. Don’t worry though, I would say that you have a good chance as your mock grades are very similar to mine and I got in.
(My grades were as follows:
Combined science: 8 8
English language: 8
Religious studies: 8
Drama: 8
Maths: 7
Art: 6
English literature: 6
ICT: merit
History: 4)
These were definitely not my best results and I am hoping to improve them so if you haven’t had your interview yet then just explain this.
Also if you have already had your interview then don’t worry if you’ve not already been offered a place yet, I think they only offer a few places out initially and then most are given out in March and April. Also i think students from feeder schools have a higher chance of getting a place (although I currently go to brighouse high school which is not a feeder school so it shouldn’t matter too much).
Good luck on getting a place!!
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (181)
28.64%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.18%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.39%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.07%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
6.01%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.16%

Watched Threads