The Student Room Group

Getting a Job Transfer

Okay so I work at NEXT and I'm going to study in Bristol in September. My manager said to just give the local stores a ring and see if they have any jobs available come september basically. Now I'm wondering if it's usual for the manager to do this himself?

I get the feeling that it would be better if my manager put a good word in for me, rather than doing it all by myself?

Anybody who's had/getting transfers from NEXT (or any other job) to their place of study, your experiences are wanted!

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm looking at going the other way but its not working right now. I'm looking at transferring from River Island in Brum to back home until Oct and then back again. I thought my manager would've done the ringing around for me but she hasn't and I had to ask. I think if they have vacancies then that's when the managers get in touch but I'm not sure. I was told to quit here if I wanted to go home and then re-apply there. Pot luck basically.

Are you like us where different members of staff are trained to do different things? I'm trained to put out unwanted fitting room stuff and back at home they want someone whose till trained. So its not working out. It might depend on that as well.
hannah_dru
I'm looking at going the other way but its not working right now. I'm looking at transferring from River Island in Brum to back home until Oct and then back again. I thought my manager would've done the ringing around for me but she hasn't and I had to ask. I think if they have vacancies then that's when the managers get in touch but I'm not sure. I was told to quit here if I wanted to go home and then re-apply there. Pot luck basically.

Are you like us where different members of staff are trained to do different things? I'm trained to put out unwanted fitting room stuff and back at home they want someone whose till trained. So its not working out. It might depend on that as well.

All the staff are trained for tills, fitting room, shoe service etc. Except new or temporary staff. Skills wise I don't think they'll be an issue unless I was applying for stockroom. We've got quite a few staff back for summer from uni and they got transfers back. So I'm going to ask them aswell.
Reply 3
You sound like you stand a better chance of getting a transfer than I do :smile: Hope it goes ok.
hannah_dru
You sound like you stand a better chance of getting a transfer than I do :smile: Hope it goes ok.

Thanks alot, you too! :smile: I was curious as to why you only get trained in a specific area?
Reply 5
i know someone who got a transfer from starbucks in belfast to starbucks in aberdeen. i think their manager did it for them though
Reply 6
neverstandstill
Thanks alot, you too! :smile: I was curious as to why you only get trained in a specific area?

I think I'm gonna end up leaving to go home for a break and then re-applying. They employ us for a specific area for some reason- either operations, (delivery) product (rejects at fitting rooms) or sales and service (fitting room, footwear or till.) I've done a bit of sales and service but not the till part. I'd prefer to be trained in all areas tbh.
I work in Waitrose, and I know they offer store transfers but they are usually arranged by the branch personell managers of the two stores, rather than the person moving.
Its quite normal for a manager to call up other branches and put in a good work in lots of chains I think.
mollymustard
I work in Waitrose, and I know they offer store transfers but they are usually arranged by the branch personell managers of the two stores, rather than the person moving.
Its quite normal for a manager to call up other branches and put in a good work in lots of chains I think.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I might phone up a random store to find out lol.
Reply 9
Usually its the manager that does the organising before you go in most big compainies.
Most have a policy about moving stores and relocation etc, so a lot let you move even if they dont even need any more staff.
Thats what Im hoping for anyway...!

Latest

Trending

Trending