Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For the last week and a half I've had what I'd say is the common cold. However, now it's got to the point where I find it difficult to breathe at times, especially in the evenings. The mix of over the counter drugs I've been taking say "see a doctor if it hasn't improved after a week".

I'd go and see a doctor as normal but I've started a 9 - 5, 5 day a week job and there's no way I can take time off to go to the GP.

Does anyone have suggestions to get to see a doctor outside of the normal 9-5 hours?

ReputationRep:
    You can try phone your local surgery and see if you can book an early early appointment since they tend to have them. If not, hop to the A&E after work. Since you're not injured it may take a while before someone attends to you but it's still an option. Or maybe you can phone the NHS to see whether the symptoms are serious and then decide after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Hey,

For the last week and a half I've had what I'd say is the common cold. However, now it's got to the point where I find it difficult to breathe at times, especially in the evenings. The mix of over the counter drugs I've been taking say "see a doctor if it hasn't improved after a week".

I'd go and see a doctor as normal but I've started a 9 - 5, 5 day a week job and there's no way I can take time off to go to the GP.

Does anyone have suggestions to get to see a doctor outside of the normal 9-5 hours?
    Your local walk in centre will probably be open later. GPs should have some appointments a bit after hours on at least one day. Alternatively, for instant advice, you could ring NHS direct and see what they recommend.

ReputationRep:
    You could call NHS direct? Or call your surgery in your lunch break and ask for the number for the out of hours service.

Also, are you sure your employer doesn't give time off for doctors? I know mine does, we can have up to an hour for doctors appointments. Have a chat with your manager

ReputationRep:
    Most doctors have emergency appointments which are at 6 ish, least mine does. you could phone the surgery and inquire, if not NHS walk in centre. dont go to A&E unless you cant breathe at all as you'll have to wait ages and if its not serious its annoying for them.

ReputationRep:
    Although this is cutting it fine, a lot of surgeries open at 8

Also, you really should be entitled to time off for medical appointments!

Try NHS direct if you think that'll help

If all else fails, turn up to doctors-on-call if you have one, or A&E, but I would only say this as a last resort, they tend to get very annoyed if they feel it isn't serious enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    You could call NHS direct? Or call your surgery in your lunch break and ask for the number for the out of hours service.

Also, are you sure your employer doesn't give time off for doctors? I know mine does, we can have up to an hour for doctors appointments. Have a chat with your manager
    I'll give NHS direct a call and look for local health centres or things like that near Liverpool.

If I asked for the hour or two off to go to the doctors I'm sure my employer would be fine with it, but it's an internship and I literally started it two days ago. I've got a week of introductions all over the country and starting by taking time off ill wouldn't look good. I've been pretty unlucky with the timing for when I caught it.

There's no way I'm wasting A&E's time with a bad cold. Push comes to shove I'll borrow a spare asthma inhaler to open up my lungs a bit.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    Most doctors work 8-5 or 9-6 in my area, so it could well be the same with yours.
    I'd definately ring your practices receptionist and see if you can come to some sort of arrangement.
    If not, I'd suggest you take an hour off work if possible. If you explain you've been having breathing problems they may be sympathetic.

There is also the option of NHS walk in centres, but you may have to wait a good few hours before they will see you.

It sounds like you could have a sort of asthma brought on by the cold, and if this is the case you might get prescribed an inhaler so its pretty vital you go and see someone.

i thaught most doctors were open till 6.30 now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.