Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    but when searching for tyres (eg on Kwik fit website) the tyre size number generated after searching by my car Reg number is different to the size number on my actual current tyres.
    what does this mean? do i have to get tyres of the same size as my current ones for the car to be balanced etc?

ReputationRep:
    If your buying 1 new tyre then yes you have to get the same size as the other side (otherwise the car will not handle correctly and it will fail its next MOT). If your buying 2 tyres or 4 tyres you can alter the size. You have to have the same sized tyres on the same axel for the MOT.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mix tyre sizes unless you know what you're doing. Sometimes it is OK to have a different tyre size on the front from the tyre size on the back, but DEFINITELY do not change the size of just one tyre.

Is your car fitted with the stock wheels, or have they been replaced at any point?

Tell us what the two tyre sizes are, and we can make an educated guess at why there's a discrepancy.

You're almost certainly best off replacing like with like, and asking Kwik-Fit to put on the size of tyre that you're taking off.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you know how to read the size of your current tyres?

It's on the sidewall and looks something like 170/70/R13.

170 is the width, 70 the height and 13 the diameter in inches in this case.

ReputationRep:
    have you or the previous owner changed the wheels from factory spec ?

if so is the rolling diameter the same or similar if not your speedometer and mileage reocrder will be inaccurate...

replace like with like

ReputationRep:
    get part worn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
    get part worn?
    No, just no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    No, just no.
    If its only 1 tyre and its a below average car ( 206 etc) then i see no issue .

ReputationRep:
    "below average car":rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    "below average car":rolleyes:
    well you arent exactly going to run the risk of a part worn on a reventon now are you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well you arent exactly going to run the risk of a part worn on a reventon now are you :rolleyes:
    Nor your "below average" 206. :rolleyes:

Part worn are only fully crap no matter what the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    Nor your "below average" 206. :rolleyes:

Part worn are only fully crap no matter what the car.
    Part worns are perfectly fine if you quickly inspect the tyre....

if i had a 206 i would be happy to place a part worn tyre if i need a one of tyre.

Explain whats so crap about part worn tyres?

ReputationRep:
    Part worns are perfectly fine if you quickly inspect the tyre....

if i had a 206 i would be happy to place a part worn tyre if i need a one of tyre.

Explain whats so crap about part worn tyres?
    We've had some on tractors and trailers. About four in total. None have outlasted three years, all suffering from bulging, crazing and in one case blowout, but thankfully not at speed - still made me jump at 10mph and I lost part of my load.

ReputationRep:
    Considering tyres are the only point of contact between the car and the road I wouldn't be putting inferior tyres on my car and risk my families safety for the sake of £10.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard the term "your tyres are your life"?

A high speed blowout will kill. Re-mould tyres on roadcars are for wallys.

ReputationRep:
    A proper inspection of the carcass bead etc will easily show you whether its safe or not.

ReputationRep:
    A proper inspection of the carcass bead etc will easily show you whether its safe or not.
    Would you put part worn tyres on your bimmer? I highly doubt it. So why should any of us with 'inferior' cars have to? I'd feel much safer buying new tyres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracie88)
    Would you put part worn tyres on your bimmer? I highly doubt it. So why should any of us with 'inferior' cars have to? I'd feel much safer buying new tyres.
    Wasn't what i was saying at all :confused:

If i had a banger and wanted to save some cash then i wouldnt mind, as long as i had a chance to personally inspect the tyre........

learn to read posts a tad slower and understand what they are saying in future

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't what i was saying at all :confused:

If i had a banger and wanted to save some cash then i wouldnt mind, as long as i had a chance to personally inspect the tyre........

learn to read posts a tad slower and understand what they are saying in future
    Don't undermime me. Thanks. My car is probably what you would class as an 'old banger', i still wouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracie88)
    Don't undermime me. Thanks. My car is probably what you would class as an 'old banger', i still wouldn't do it.
    Ok,

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use a part worn :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.