Being in a lower ranking university is making me depressed Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am currently in a non-russell group, average university while most of my friends made it to top unis in London. How do I stop comparing myself and feeling bad about the fact I'm in a ****ty uni? What makes it worse is that I know they are not academically smarter than me. During exams, I had a lot of personal things going on and I didn't score as well as I hoped to. To make things worse, everyone on my course seems as dumb as a brick and I just feel so out of place. Also, with a degree from this uni, I feel doomed for any future employment as I cannot compete with students from higher-ranking universities. I am even too ashamed to tell people where I study. How do I get out of this mindset?
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends what course you’re on
Last edited by shnac99; 2 months ago
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Honestly? I'd try slapping myself a few times to try and get some of the entitlement out, this is one of those problems that's only solved from within.
pinesandapples2001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If people stopped caring about status the world would be a better place.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 2 months ago
the vast majority of students graduate from average unis, and your degree tbh is just a small part of your resume and doesn't qualify you for a job. if you depend on your degree and your uni's ranking, you will be sorely disappointed and probably unemployed.

that said, is your uni average or below average? surely if it's average, like most people's, then you wouldn't be ashamed cuz you'd be just like everyone else.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What university?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What matters is how well you do at your uni and what you do with it. Uni isn't the end goal, it's just one step on a never ending road. You might not have taken the best step this time, but that doesn't mean your whole journey will be bad. I think you problem here probably goes further than this uni things specifically though.

Sounds like you might be feeling generally insecure/ anxious/ under pressure. I would suggest having a talk with your unis student support and asking if you would be able to see somebody to help work through some stuff like this. You'll be able to talk more about your own situations, explore your feelings etc. You can also self refer for counselling on the NHS or talk to your GP.

If you really feel unhappy at this uni and think it is specifically because of the uni and you still wouldn't be happy even if you weren't having issues within yourself the you could talk to student support about changing uni or course. I wasn't happy at my first uni. It wasn't quite what I had been expecting and I wasn't as interested in that topic as I had been at college. The uni itself also wasn't a great fit for me. I ended up taking a year out then going to a different uni to do a different course. That went a lot better for me and I'm glad I made that choice. Sometimes it's a good idea to take a step back, realise you've taken a wrong turn and try to find a better path. It might take a bit longer or not be what you expected, but it can end up working out better for you.

When you get back after Christmas I would email or visit student support and ask to talk with simebody. You can discuss with them where you think this unhappiness is coming from and what could help. Remember this is your life. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing or thinks your should be doing. What matters is what's right for you. It's okay to take a different route to what's expected or seen as best.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am currently in a non-russell group, average university while most of my friends made it to top unis in London. How do I stop comparing myself and feeling bad about the fact I'm in a ****ty uni? What makes it worse is that I know they are not academically smarter than me. During exams, I had a lot of personal things going on and I didn't score as well as I hoped to. To make things worse, everyone on my course seems as dumb as a brick and I just feel so out of place. Also, with a degree from this uni, I feel doomed for any future employment as I cannot compete with students from higher-ranking universities. I am even too ashamed to tell people where I study. How do I get out of this mindset?
I studied at UCL myself, if I could go back I would have gone, Anglia Ruskin or Liverpool Uni ideally
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
in this modern society, almost everyone is obsessed with status symbols.

it is the end result that matters. Achieving First class honours degree is a much better target. Than thinking about being in a lower ranking university.

personally i have studied at 4 universities. and each university is in a good ranking And I had fun. At every one of them. And my grade : very good.

It is about enjoying the time at university. And getting First class honours degree. that matters.
Jgradschool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Worst comes to worst you can try really hard in the next semester and aim to try to transfer to a uni you prefer
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Simrankpy)
rankings don't matter, what does matter is what you achieve in that so called "low-ranked uni".
sweet lie
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by williamho)
in this modern society, almost everyone is obsessed with status symbols.

it is the end result that matters. Achieving First class honours degree is a much better target. Than thinking about being in a lower ranking university.

personally i have studied at 4 universities. and each university is in a good ranking And I had fun. At every one of them. And my grade : very good.

It is about enjoying the time at university. And getting First class honours degree. that matters.
4 degrees at UK universities, and you still can't capitalise, punctuate or build sentences properly?

Thanks Blair.
AM_TSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Matters more about what you're studying than your university ranking
Last edited by AM_TSR; 2 months ago
joellio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do not pay attention to it. There are many examples when, after poor performance at school, a person became a millionaire.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
Cope thread
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Simrankpy)
if u think so. just goes to show what your mindset is like
blah blah blah
dc
lol
jeeto123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Uni ranking means **** all. More important to be active in uni with respect to your studying, work experience and extra-curriculars.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I went picked a 'lower ranked' university over a higher one, and I genuinely think I wouldn't've had as good a time at the 'better' university. If you apply yourself and take up opportunities, there's nothing stopping you from doing well, in the vast majority of cases.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
*rolls eyes to infinity and beyond*
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm the exact same, am at a middle ranked former poly after A level results not going as I wanted and was hoping to be at a much higher ranked uni. Best thing is probably get as much work experience as possible and try your hardest to get a first if you can. This way you'll stand out more to employers. Also maybe consider doing a masters at a higher ranked uni, this is what I'm planning to do so hopefully It works out I'm just not prepared to transfer uni tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (324)
60.79%
Yes- I don't like it (26)
4.88%
No- I want it (145)
27.2%
No- I don't want it (38)
7.13%

Watched Threads