The Student Room Group

forgot to include reference list!

I submitted my first assignment a few weeks ago, and today i was looking through my files and realised I completely forgot to add on my reference list! I used in-text citations but no list!
Will I get pulled up on plagiarism and what is the maximum % of marks I can get?
Original post by Anonymous
I submitted my first assignment a few weeks ago, and today i was looking through my files and realised I completely forgot to add on my reference list! I used in-text citations but no list!
Will I get pulled up on plagiarism and what is the maximum % of marks I can get?

So yes this is a big mistake, but if your a fresher new to academic writing im sure leniency will be given.

What could happen? id imagine it could go as far as a serious academic misconduct charge, where they'll be a meeting to discuss penalties, and they theoretically could kick you out. However it wont get anywhere close to this.

In text citations just tell us that you borrowed thoughts, research, results etc. without the reference its incomplete, I then can't go and look at the empirical data myself...

BUT this sounds like an innocent mistake, and given its a first year report they'll just put this down to ignorance on your part. I would expect a grade penalty in the 5-20% range, I suspect theyll be fairly lenient, but this privilege wont be extended through your degree. Referencing is an important academic tool, whenever I read a really good journal article I make a point of looking at citations to search for more interesting information.

EDIT: fyi get a reference manager, might be a bit overkill for a degree and only super powerful for your dissertation but it allows easy ability to reference and cite correctly and ensures you cant make mistakes like this, personally i use mendeley but there are others...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
So yes this is a big mistake, but if your a fresher new to academic writing im sure leniency will be given.

What could happen? id imagine it could go as far as a serious academic misconduct charge, where they'll be a meeting to discuss penalties, and they theoretically could kick you out. However it wont get anywhere close to this.

In text citations just tell us that you borrowed thoughts, research, results etc. without the reference its incomplete, I then can't go and look at the empirical data myself...

BUT this sounds like an innocent mistake, and given its a first year report they'll just put this down to ignorance on your part. I would expect a grade penalty in the 5-20% range, I suspect theyll be fairly lenient, but this privilege wont be extended through your degree. Referencing is an important academic tool, whenever I read a really good journal article I make a point of looking at citations to search for more interesting information.

EDIT: fyi get a reference manager, might be a bit overkill for a degree and only super powerful for your dissertation but it allows easy ability to reference and cite correctly and ensures you cant make mistakes like this, personally i use mendeley but there are others...

thank you. yes, I hope they will be more lenient as it was my first assignment.
I was wondering whether I should email my tutor to notify them or not? I will have submitted 2 other assignments before I get the marks back and these will be fully referenced so hopefully they see it was a mistake
Original post by Anonymous
thank you. yes, I hope they will be more lenient as it was my first assignment.
I was wondering whether I should email my tutor to notify them or not? I will have submitted 2 other assignments before I get the marks back and these will be fully referenced so hopefully they see it was a mistake

I mean you can email the person who is responsible for the CW with the references list, but I cant imagine it would do much tbh,the tutor has to mark what you handed in so I dont think emailing them will do much, but it would show the mistake was sincere and your taking action to improve so if you want to go ahead.

I suggest you also take some time and find some examples of good academic writing, the earlier you get in the habit of putting together headers/footers, good formatting tables for contents/figures etc. (use word functions for this, dont do it manually ; or use Latex if you prefer). and just generally good academic writing, the higher quality the work will look and then when you come to doing more serious pieces of work ie dissertation you'll be in a much better position.
Reply 4
It's a problem but I can't really see an academic misconduct issue being raised, especially if you referenced in-text. It will be fairly obvious it's a mistake, but you would fail one one part of the six-part rubric in our place, which'd give a drop of maybe 15%
Original post by gjd800
It's a problem but I can't really see an academic misconduct issue being raised, especially if you referenced in-text. It will be fairly obvious it's a mistake, but you would fail one one part of the six-part rubric in our place, which'd give a drop of maybe 15%

Harsh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending