Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    How is Religion a comforting farce?

The knowledge that all my family and friends who won't beleive in god no matter how I try and convert them, they keep telling me I'm silly and that god doesn't exist and I know they'll go to hell and I can't save them no matter how hard I try.

The constant fear of sinning, the constant guilt of having sinned. The guilt of absent minded thoughts that count as sin. The fear and threat of hell. The knowledge that all fall short of the glory of god. That only 88,000 will get into heaven and that's probably not going to include me.

That terrifies the **** out of me! It's not comforting at all. I'd be happier without that.
    Okay then, it's a discomforting farce. Either way, it seems you're happy to believe in made up concepts. Love, religion...

ReputationRep:
    Um no. A life full of love is better than a life full of solitude.

What has pain got to do with it?! Love isn't pain. Lust and infatuation involve pain. Not love.
    Love doesn't always equal happiness. ''If you love someone, let them go.''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Okay then, it's a discomforting farce. Either way, it seems you're happy to believe in made up concepts. Love, religion...
    ...Meritocracy, Justice, luck, trust in professionals, that an apocalypse is improbably... This is the human condition! weeeee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    :yep:
    I agree wholeheartedly. I blame Disney for all these silly ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Does God exist?
    Ponder on that.
    Tips hat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flick The Switch)
    Love doesn't always equal happiness. ''If you love someone, let them go.''
    Not always, but 99% of the time Love = happiness.
    "He is not a lover who does not love forever." - Euripides

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    Does God exist?
    Ponder on that.
    Tips hat.
    That's a completely different ball pool :mad: and no, I don't think he/she does.

ReputationRep:
    Not always, but 99% of the time Love = happiness.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    Love doesn't always equal happiness.'
    source?

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    64% of statistics are made up on the spot.

(So is mine).

ReputationRep:
    That only 88,000 will get into heaven and that's probably not going to include me.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    source?
    Um no, I asked you first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Source?
    Sorry, I meant 144,000

Revelation 14:1, 3: And I saw, and look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads..... And they are singing as if a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from earth.

Pretty tiny number in comparison to the billions of humans that exist and have existed...

(Original post by Flick the Switch)
    Um no, I asked you first.
    I was just pointing out: our experiences are as limited and subjective as each others.

ReputationRep:
    I was just pointing out: our experiences are as limited and subjective as each others.
    Now that, I agree with.

ReputationRep:
    Now that, I agree with.
    Well if you agree that your experience is limited and subjective, why not be open to the possibility that it does exist, that it could be a beautiful thing? If your experience is finite, why rule the line and declare it doesn't exist and will only impede you and cause you pain? Why deny yourself the possibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I love you :love: :flutter:
    :rolleyes:

...:love:

ReputationRep:
    Well if you agree that your experience is limited and subjective, why not be open to the possibility that it does exist, that it could be a beautiful thing? If your experience is finite, why rule the line and declare it doesn't exist and will only impede you and cause you pain? Why deny yourself the possibility?
    In the same way that you are not open to the possibly that love is a concept that we have made to gain objective in our lives.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if love exists in real life.

It exists on TV, though...isn't that the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Bums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I don't know if love exists in real life.

It exists on TV, though...isn't that the same thing?
    Like we nearly all got killed by Daleks on Dr Who?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.