crusty kebab
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
can I get advise on what sort of extracurricular I should do to help get into med school. I know that work experience and volunteering are really important, but they are kind of cliche. Is there something unique that I can do that would make my application look good.
ella1902
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Work experience in a medical environment is definitely best
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by crusty kebab)
can I get advise on what sort of extracurricular I should do to help get into med school. I know that work experience and volunteering are really important, but they are kind of cliche. Is there something unique that I can do that would make my application look good.
No
Although something like pole-dancing or Morris Dancing may make you stand out
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
meddad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
No
Although something like pole-dancing or Morris Dancing may make you stand out
In your personal experience have those activities also been useful in your career as a GP, when compared (for example) with more traditional skills, such as a good grounding in chemistry ? :lol:

And at which point in a patient consultation would you introduce them? Also do you need health and safety clearance for the pole, particularly given your age ?
Neurocandid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by crusty kebab)
Do what you love! It’s not what you do but what you learn from it
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by meddad)
In your personal experience have those activities also been useful in your career as a GP, when compared (for example) with more traditional skills, such as a good grounding in chemistry ? :lol:

And at which point in a patient consultation would you introduce them? Also do you need health and safety clearance for the pole, particularly given your age ?
One of them, at least, has forwarded my career considerably, I suspect (I decline to say which!) and have certainly been more use than Chemistry!

I now introduce them at the point I want the patient to leave, as given my age (and other attributes), they are no longer always a positive addition! I have full H&S clearance and significant reinforcement for the pole :lol:

You are so missed on TSR (by me, anyway). Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year x
meddad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
One of them, at least, has forwarded my career considerably, I suspect (I decline to say which!) and have certainly been more use than Chemistry!

I now introduce them at the point I want the patient to leave, as given my age (and other attributes), they are no longer always a positive addition! I have full H&S clearance and significant reinforcement for the pole :lol:

You are so missed on TSR (by me, anyway). Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year x
I still browse occasionally out of curiosity, but it no longer takes over my life at medicine application time.

Your reply gave me a good laugh

Hope you also have a good Christmas break, whatever that consists of as a busy GP. Try to take a break from TSR too !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (146)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (442)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (337)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (418)
13.96%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.01%
Loneliness (257)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (122)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.41%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (265)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (283)
9.45%

Watched Threads