Turn on thread page Beta

How old were you when your parents split / divorced? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    I guess we'll never know...

But what are the odds that your experience has made it so that you'll make extra-sure that your own kids have a happy family life?
    I've been thinking about that already, and I'm only 15 :p:

I know that I'll make sure that my kids don't hear an arguement every night, or make sure they're not actually terrified of me and their father, or coming home. etc. I just know I'll try my hardest not to screw them up. :/ My parents are a huge block of my depression. fun stuff. :/ :yep:

ReputationRep:
    10/11 and definitely better off.

I was 10 and my bro was 7. We're probably better off, tho I wish I was still in touch with my dad cos no matter what he did he's still my dad. Plus the idea of having two lots of presents always seemed appealing.

ReputationRep:
    6, or something. ********s.

ReputationRep:
    7, though i wouldnt change it, amazing stepmum and half brother, mum's engaged and when she gets married to him i'll have 2 stepsisters and 2 stepbrothers!

kinda sad how many people can answer this

ReputationRep:
    8 and I'm much better off.

ReputationRep:
    I was 1. So I don't remember any of it.

ReputationRep:
    11 and better off.

i barely saw my dad because he was working abroad all week and then would come home and sleep. Used to see him for about 2hrs a week. Now i see him once during the week and all day every sunday.

ReputationRep:
    i was 8 or 9. my brother was 10 or 11. my sister was 4.

at the time i didnt feel better off, it hit me quite hard. but now and for the last about 7 years its definetly a good thing!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was 11...in my first week of Secondary School
    It didn't affect me as much as people seemed to expect it to.

ReputationRep:
    I was Six, and it was possibly the best thing my Mother has ever done for my family.

My cousin is currently going through it now at 13, and everyone expects me to help her out, be understanding etc. How can i tell her that its generally a good thing anyway?

ReputationRep:
    they actually split about 2 weeks before my 16th birthday but didn't tell me for several weeks, by which time i'd figured it out anyway. I'm 18 now.
    tbh i wish it had happened earlier because no one really offered me or my brother any help at all so we were just dealing with all the mess on our own.

ReputationRep:
    8. I wouldn't change what happened really.

ReputationRep:
    I was 5 when my dad left, havent seen him since. He left us for another (much younger) woman and my mum was then diagnosed as clinically depressed. Has been ever since. I dont really think we're better off.

ReputationRep:
    17, and possibly

ReputationRep:
    14 and a half..
    Initially it was worse, because of my dad's new partner (and my dad.. and the divorce itself was very messy), but after i was kicked out of the house and moved in with my mum two and a half years later it got a lot better

ReputationRep:
    11. yes, i quickly learnt the value of things and i think i matured very rapidly.

it was still the ****test year of my life though.

ReputationRep:
    After my father found out my mother was pregnant. Definately better off, my mother is stronger than he ever could hope to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apresmoi)
    I was Six, and it was possibly the best thing my Mother has ever done for my family.

My cousin is currently going through it now at 13, and everyone expects me to help her out, be understanding etc. How can i tell her that its generally a good thing anyway?
    Show her this thread?

ReputationRep:
    I was 19, and having been the only one of 3 kids who was old enough to notice when it all started to go wrong about 10 years before my dad finally moved out, I was glad. It didn't seem to affect my brother and sister. I lost of a lot of respect for both parents though, my mom because she was cheating on my dad before he left and lied to my face when I asked her about it, and my dad for using me as a crutch even though I'd got a gazillion and one problems of my own to deal with (my dad would phone me in the middle of the night in tears and wanting my help, whilst I was just starting out at uni, was on anti-depressants myself and had recently broken up with my first real boyfriend, was not talking to my mom and was approaching a nervous breakdown of my own)... no wonder I don't like going home...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.